Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Pesach home-stretch! And Yahrzeit ramblings.

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 132 Total Views

I admit...I am very happy to be in the Pesach "home-stretch" now.  I am sick of cooking, sick of cleaning, sick of smashing matzo for recipes.

About 26 more hours and we are DONE!  

I have to say, I can't complain too much living here in Israel -- ONE Seder, ONE day of Yom Tov....and we are done with Pesach after 7 days, not 8.  

Tomorrow is my mother's yahrzeit though....so my Chag always ends on a down-note.  I admit to feeling a bit "ripped off" too that her yahrzeit falls on Yizkor.  I feel that my personal grief doesn't really mean much.  (Does that make sense?)

Anyway....those are my ramblings as I prepare to light my Yom Tov candles in about an hour.  Have a good end to the holiday and see you all on the flip-side! :-)

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hippiemom45
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Awe   have a good end to it as well!! : )  

momof3inTN
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I hope you all had a good Passover!

We went through 6 lbs of matzo and more matzo meal and farfel than I can count (3 double batches of farfel granola alone! Each double batch was 6 cups of granola.)

We got bad news the last night, my mother in law is really sick. The Dr won't give a time line but she is in congestive heart failure so it may be a week or a month or a year. BUT, with all of that my BIL has come to his senses and messages me (text) tonight apologizing for what he's said and done over the past few months. :-)

TableforSeven
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Glad you had a good holiday.

Sorry that it ended on a sour not. ((Hugs)) and prayers.  I'm glad things are improved with your BIL though.

Seashell77
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I am not aware of the differences between practicing Passover in the US vs. Israel. Why is there only one Seder and one day of Yom Tov. Why does Passover last only 7 days in Israel ? I'm really curious.

Seashell77
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I'm so sorry your mom's yahrzeit falls now. That has to be rough and emotionally hard. Did you had a good Passover up until the yahrzeit ?  How are you doing now ? Have things got any better ?

TableforSeven
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Jewish holidays are celebrated on very specific dates....going by the Hebrew calendar (as I'm sure you know).  When living within Israel we can be certain that our calendar is 100% currect because we can see the exact location/shape of the moon, etc.

Back when Jews first left the promised land, it was decided that - while the could keep a calendar, etc....there was no 100% guarantee that the dates were 100% correct going by what the date is/should be within Israel (which is where/how dates were determined).  So,it was decided LONG ago by the sages that outside of the land, a second day would be added to ensure that holidays were celebrated on the correct date.

The only two-day Chag here is Rosh HaShannah.  On Purim we celebrate Purim and cities that were walled in the time of Esther celebrate Shushan Purim....but the majority of the country does not (though the schools are off because some DO celebrate it).

For Shavuot, we celebrate only one day.  For Sukkot and Pesach we celebrate the first day and last day only (these holidays are actually "one week" holidays which means seven days - but the second Shabbat day celebrated outside of Israel is added after both Shabbat days, making it a Shabbat on days 1 and 2; then again on day 7 wi the extra day added to make 8 days.  The Seder is done on the first day of Pesach - so when the extra Shabbat day is added outside of Israel, a second Seder is added to make sure that the Seder is celebrated on the correct day.

I hope I explained that ok.  I just woke up a short time ago and am not yet fully awake.

Quoting Seashell77:

I am not aware of the differences between practicing Passover in the US vs. Israel. Why is there only one Seder and one day of Yom Tov. Why does Passover last only 7 days in Israel ? I'm really curious.

TableforSeven
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I'm ok now.  I had trouble getting out of bed on her Yahrzeit and missed Yizkor at shul (said it at home).  But, this year was better than last year...and last year was better than the year before that....so, progress.

Quoting Seashell77:

I'm so sorry your mom's yahrzeit falls now. That has to be rough and emotionally hard. Did you had a good Passover up until the yahrzeit ?  How are you doing now ? Have things got any better ?

Seashell77
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for explaining this all.  It is so interesting.  

Quoting TableforSeven:

Jewish holidays are celebrated on very specific dates....going by the Hebrew calendar (as I'm sure you know).  When living within Israel we can be certain that our calendar is 100% currect because we can see the exact location/shape of the moon, etc.

Back when Jews first left the promised land, it was decided that - while the could keep a calendar, etc....there was no 100% guarantee that the dates were 100% correct going by what the date is/should be within Israel (which is where/how dates were determined).  So,it was decided LONG ago by the sages that outside of the land, a second day would be added to ensure that holidays were celebrated on the correct date.

The only two-day Chag here is Rosh HaShannah.  On Purim we celebrate Purim and cities that were walled in the time of Esther celebrate Shushan Purim....but the majority of the country does not (though the schools are off because some DO celebrate it).

For Shavuot, we celebrate only one day.  For Sukkot and Pesach we celebrate the first day and last day only (these holidays are actually "one week" holidays which means seven days - but the second Shabbat day celebrated outside of Israel is added after both Shabbat days, making it a Shabbat on days 1 and 2; then again on day 7 wi the extra day added to make 8 days.  The Seder is done on the first day of Pesach - so when the extra Shabbat day is added outside of Israel, a second Seder is added to make sure that the Seder is celebrated on the correct day.

I hope I explained that ok.  I just woke up a short time ago and am not yet fully awake.

Quoting Seashell77:

Seashell77
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM

I'm glad you felt a bit better. I'm glad that this year was somewhat better than last year too and you're right that's progress. 

Quoting TableforSeven:

I'm ok now.  I had trouble getting out of bed on her Yahrzeit and missed Yizkor at shul (said it at home).  But, this year was better than last year...and last year was better than the year before that....so, progress.

Quoting Seashell77:

hippiemom45
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM

is anyone else counting down the omer??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)