Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Almost UC of Mary! (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 178 Total Views
2 moms liked this

The idea of a UC fascinates me.  I think I would be all for it if my husband thought so to - like I just need a little encouragement to go for it.  :)  But I like having a midwife just to be sure.  And, I found a new midwife for this 2nd homebirth (6th child).  She has been GREAT, more hands off, and when she said she was fine with me refusing tests - she really was!  I was never asked again once I said no about something.  It was so relaxing to go to appointments.

Baby was due July 10 and we were waiting to find out if this was a boy or girl.  My kids all wanted a girl, and my only daughter was very concerned that we maintain our 'pattern.'  So far we had boy,boy,girl,boy,boy. . . .  My kids have all come early, with the latest on his due date.  So I was expecting a late June baby.

Late June came and with it, contracting and cramping.  Prodromal labor is normal for me and one can always hope.  Right?  I was really hoping I would go into labor, but it was not to me.  Prodromal labor it was.  I started to see a pattern with one day and night being rough and then the next being quieter.  After several days they would pick up a little bit more and be more painful.

June came and went with no baby.  Then I got to my due date.  That was hard!  :)  I just tried to keep reminding myself of those of you and my friends who have gone far over.  Passing my due date was NOT bad!  And I was trusting the Lord.  He knew when this baby was coming and the best day.  

We had already set the pool up when my prodromal labor started in June.  But that Wednesday evening, the contractions were EXTREMELY mild.  But, somehow I knew the baby was moving down.  It seriously felt as if I was trying to push the baby out.  It was the oddest sensation - that the head was truly RIGHT there even though I wasn't in labor.  We got ready for bed and things felt 'differnet.'

Several of the kids were up during the night.  As I got up with each one, I had them lay down in the living room and told them they couldn't be in my room because I thought the baby was coming.  The cramping was different somehow.  After getting up with the third child at 1 a.m. I woke my husband and asked him to start filling the pool.  I knew it takes a while and figured I better get started.

He went back to bed and I sat in the rocking chair to watch the water and shut it off once it was cold.  I got online and actually replied to some posts in this group.  Contractions were maybe every ten minutes or so - nothing intense, just something different about them.  I shut off the water around 2 something and figured I would settle down on the couch and doze.  After I bit (I think it was about 2:20 a.m.) I headed to the bathroom.  While on the toilet there was a small gush of water as my water broke!!  

At that moment I KNEW this was going to be fast.  I knew the head was right there and it wouldn't be long.  I called my husband and he couldn't hear me (asleep).  I stood up to get him and the contractions hit me.  From that moment on they were SUPER intense, strong, long, and NO break.  There were seconds in between each one.  No matter how hard I tried to get up and go get my husband, I had no time before the next one hit and I had to stop.  I finally made it a few feet in front of the toilet to the bathroom sink and was supporting myself on the sink through each contraction.  I was a bit closer to our bedroom too, and my husband heard my calling.  :)  

He came in, in a daze.  Was asking me questions and I could NOT reply.  Everything was way too intense.  He called the midwife - it was 2:40 a.m.  She lives 30 minutes from us.  He helped me slowly move to the bedroom where I knelt at the side of the bed.  I asked him to sit on the bed (well, actually I just patted the bed in front of me - getting to the point of HITTING it when he didn't understand what I wanted.  :D  Finally he sat down) so I could lean on him.

It was odd.  Probably only 20 minutes had passed.  Everything was going SO fast.  At one point I looked up and saw a spider on the ceiling.  During the second transaction I saw it crawling down the wall.  I pointed it out to Steve and he thought I wanted him to kill it.  He got up to smash it and I started grunting, no, No, NOOOO!  And hitting the bed.  All the while, thinking, DON'T LEAVE ME!!! GET BACK HERE.  :D  He finally came back - in reality this was probably just seconds.

Then I looked at him and said, "I'm in transition!"  I was so shocked.  This is after maybe 30-40 minutes of labor.    But all I could think was, "Why am I doing this again???"  It didn't seem possible when I felt like pushing.  In fact I held off through a couple of contractions because it just couldn't be real.  Then I finally just gave up and went with it!

Once I started pushing I was screaming - more low sounds.  Our 18 month old woke up and woke the 3 year old.  The 3 year old started screaming for daddy.  It was maybe 3:15.  There was NO way Steve could leave.  I wouldn't let him.  :D  At 3:17 the midwife pulled up and came running in the house.  I could feel the baby crowning as she came in the room.

Just then I felt the head, right into my hands!!! (A first for me!!).  And then the most annoying moment of all.  NOT A SINGLE CONTRACTION!!!  SERIOUSLY???????

I was SO upset.  The entire time the contractions had been right on top of each other.  Now, finally, when I am at the end and baby is RIGHT THERE.  NOTHING!!!  I tried to wait, but forget this.  And I just started to push.  Finally the baby fell into my hands.

It was an incredible moment.  Taking that first peek and realizing we had a little girl!!!!

Labor lasted an hour - maybe a bit longer!  SO INTENSE!  She pooped all over herself, and got me.  :D  7 lbs 12 oz, 20.5 inches, and born at 3:19 a.m.  The midwife just sat and talked with me, helped me get comfortable, etc for quite a long time.  It was so nice to just hold the baby.

We named her Mary Cassandra after both our mothers!  AND she was born on my MIL's birthday.  She missed her due date, but came rushing in after.

The kids all wanted to know if the midwife came.  It was strange for them to wake up to a new sister.  All my others have been born during the day.

And here I am with my two girls!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM

aw congrats to you!!

by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)