Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insulin pump while on vacation (posted to other groups)

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:47 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 523 Total Views

Poll

Question: Do you wear your insulin pump in the water?

Options:

Yes and I've never had any problems

Yes, but I've had some problems with it

No

I don't wear an insulin pump

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

Hi all!  I am so excited to be going on vacation in Myrtle Beach next week, but this will be a first for me while on an insulin pump. 

I'm wondering if there is anything special I should do other than check my pumps water tightness, have lots of extra supplies and lower my basal rates during higher activity.  My nurse educators told me not to take the pump in the water, even if it is supposed to be water proof.  I have an Animas 1250 that is about 1 year and 1/2 old.  Have any of you gone in the water with yours?  I plan on swimming in the ocean and in the pool.  Should I take off the pump when I'm in the water and then come out and check my glucose and give correction boluses if needed?  Should I switch to Lantus injections for the week?  I'm also wondering about how to keep my infusion site stuck with all the moisture.  I don't know the best way to approach this, so I'm hoping some of you experienced pumpers can give me some suggestions and help me out!  Thanks girls!

- Erica

Fans of The Fault Line - Group Owner

http://www.cafemom.com/group/13337

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
cbranscum28
by Group Owner on Aug. 2, 2007 at 7:45 PM
That sounds like fun. Have a great time.
sjk118
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2007 at 9:38 PM
Hi!

I'm not diabetic but I have an 8 year old daughter who is.  She is using a pump and we have found it works best for her to take the pump off when she goes swimming.  Occasionally her infusion site comes off after swimming but usually it stays in place and works fine.
I hope you enjoy your trip!  Suzan
dndmomof4
by on Dec. 17, 2007 at 2:43 PM
My son is diabetic and uses an insulin pump.  We were told not to get his wet.  He takes his off during showers as well.
3TMommyHeather
by Member on Apr. 8, 2008 at 12:52 AM
I take mine off for playing in the water.  I can't imagine that you'll be in the water for more than 30 or so minutes at a time.  Just hook it back up as soon as you get out of the water.  I have to take an extra bolus before my shower in the morning or I go high during that 20 or 30 minutes time.  Maybe you could do that or if you have enough insulin on board already you won't have to worry about it while you're getting activity in the water. 

If you're just worried about your infusion site, put water tight seal on it (I use Medtronic and when you pop off for your shower they give you a clear piece to put on the infusion piece) and then tape it with water proof tape. 

Don't forget to check your homeowners insurance to make sure your pump is covered before you go.  My distributor told me that a pump user went to mexico and took it off to swim and someone stole it thinking it was a phone.  He says your home owner's insurance will cover it, but they won't

Have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)