Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is lap swimming a good choice to lose weight?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 134 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Ask our expert: Is lap swimming a good choice to lose weight?

Brian Haycock gives you the low down on this aerobic type exercise

April 19, 2013
Ask our expert: Is lap swimming a good choice to lose weight?

Q. I don’t do a lot of cardio. Is lap swimming a good choice to lose weight?

A. Swimming, although an aerobic type exercise, is not ideal for weight loss. A study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine looked at the effects of swimming on weight loss. Overweight but otherwise healthy young women seeking to lose weight were randomly assigned to one of three groups in which only their type of daily exercise differed: brisk walking, riding a stationary cycle, or swimming laps. All women slowly increased their time spent doing daily exercise to 60 minutes. After six months the women assigned to walking had lost 10% of their initial weight, the women who cycled had lost 12%, but the women who swam had lost no weight.

To drop pounds, try structured exercise such as using a treadmill, joining a group cycling class, or some other option you have at your gym. Of course, your cardio doesn’t have to be on a machine—hiking trails, jogging, and of course walking will all work. Because you haven’t been doing much cardio I would start out fairly light, going 20–30 minutes at an intensity at which you can still carry on a conversation. After three or four weeks, add more time or more intensity incrementally, as your fitness gains allow.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gymgirl
by Group Owner on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Swimming is great exercise. but for good weight loss results hit the iron and clean eats to. Cardio for weight loss for me was fast walking.

We have a water aerobics class. The same guys and girls have gone for years. no weight loss. However, most of them r older with health issues. so they just want to keep moving. 1 lady in her late 60's had been in the class for about 9 years. she has moved to the gym floor for other exercise and has lost about 40lbs. she looks really good. This is a good article.

big_red05
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:05 AM
I think its great for cardio because it's not hard on the body but like you said you have to add weights as well and eat clean
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

That is surprising given it is a total body exercise and swimming in cold water burns more calories and it is low impact.  I guess it is too low impact.  I prefer to dance overall though to really burn the calories.  Throw on some loud music and dance around the house!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN