Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weight loss and nursing

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 100 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I have lost 33lbs since giving birth to my DS this July. I want to lose more fat and build muscle. My goal is to get down to 125lbs with 19% body fat. I am currently at 142lb and 28% body fat. I am still nursing. While I have not cut my calories drastically I have cut back some of course. I have noticed that my milk supply has been slowing decreasing. I pump 7x and nurse 3-4 times in a 24 hour period.  I want to continue to work out and lose weight while nursing. My DS is only 4 months. I wish to nurse until he is 1 year. Anyone else experiencing this problem?  Any suggesting on maintaining my milk supply while losing weight? Any info is much appreciated.

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

milk supply does depend on your calorie and water intake.  Fenugreek helped to keep my supply up to the point that I had over 2 months banked for later use once I weaned.  Focus more on light exercise such as walking, swimming, yoga/pilates and weight training rather than focussing so much on your calories, just choose healthier options and reduce your process foods and high glycemic foods. 

gymgirl
by Group Owner on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I wish I could help. I don't know. I never nursed.

Healthy and Fit Forever http://cafemom.com/group/118269

big_red05
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I am currently breast feeding my 18m old and I have managed to get almost back to my pre pregnancy (before having any kids) weight... I don't count calories, I eat until I'm full.. But I only eat healthy foods... I don't eat anything prepackaged or processed, I eat tons of fruits and veggies, lean proteins like free range eggs, and fresh local chicken pork and beef free of hormones.. I eat healthy fat from nuts olive oil and grass fed butter... It really makes a huge difference the type of food you eat.. I workout a lot so I have to eat a lot anyways.. Your body is like a car.. It needs fuel to go.. The more you go, workout, make milk etc the more cals or fuel you burn... If you want to keep your body moving efficiently and burning calories you have to properly fuel it or you won't be successful...

Pheromones is an example of what I eat in a day
B:4 eggs scrambled with three fistfuls of fresh spinach
S: Greek yogurt with a sliced banana and peanut butter and some organic raw honey
Lunch: kale sweet potato and chicken
Snack: carrot lemon aid ( lemon carrots ginger organic raw honey parsley and a banana) all in a blender with Greek yogurt
Dinner: veggie lasagna with sliced zucchini instead of noodles

I try to avoid gluten and I currently live in Germany where it's easy to find free range eggs and a lot of the pesticides are illegal used for fruits and veggies and all the hormones we use in America in our animals is also illegal I would find a local farmers market or check into bountiful baskets to get healthy fresh produce.. Pin test has tons of healthy recipes for any strange and new veggie :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)