Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will Eating Peppers Prevent Weight Gain?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 146 Total Views
2 moms liked this

Will Eating Peppers Prevent Weight Gain?

New research says capsaicin may help your body burn fat. Here's what you need to know about adding heat to your meals.

You may have heard that eating spicy foods can help spike your metabolism, but is it just a nutrition myth or should you consider adding peppers to your meals to lose more weight?

Researchers from the University of Wyoming released a study this week that found adding capsaicin from chili peppers to a diet can help to prevent weight gain in mice on high-fat diet. The researchers found that mice on a high-fat-diet that were given dietary capsaicin, prevented high-fat-diet-induced weight gain in trials, even though the mice’s food and beverage intake didn’t change.

Capsaicin has previously been shown to increase thermogenesis in the brown fat cells of mice (brown fat is known for its thermogenic properties to burn stored fat). “This study has shown that capsaicin can also reduce the weight gain from a high fat diet by increasing thermogenesis and energy expenditure in white fat cells which store energy (or fat) for later use,” says Lisa Stollman, MA, RDN, CDE, CDN
, author of The Trim Traveler: How to Eat Healthy and Stay Fit While Traveling Abroad.

Although capsaicin is generally considered safe when consumed in foods, capsaicin taken in large amounts may cause some side effects, such as stomach irritation. In addition, capsaicin supplements may interact with certain medications (including aspirin and blood-thinning drugs). Since there hasn’t been much supporting research, there are no recommended amounts of capsaicin that have been shown to be of benefit to humans for weight loss.

Find the right supplements for your diet and fitness goals at GNC Live Well.

“I advise my weight management patients to add it to their food if they like it and it doesn’t bother them,” says Stollman.

The bottom line is that you need to take in less calories than you burn to lose weight. So eating less and moving more is still the best advice for weight loss, she says. If you want to add this spice to your meals, try it on on eggs, pizza, as well as sprinkled on vegetables and salads. It’s a nice addition to soups, like  lentil or minestrone. It’s also great on popcorn, or, you could add a pinch to homemade trail mix for an added kick, suggests Stollman

- See more at: http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/nutrition/will-eating-peppers-prevent-weight-gain#sthash.Et0j5A3e.dpuf

Healthy and Fit Forever http://cafemom.com/group/118269

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MixedCooke
by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Pipe dream! It can help but it won't prevent.
gymgirl
by Group Owner on Mar. 1, 2015 at 7:27 AM

I like them in general. I like that they rev up our metabolism. I have been taking Tumeric for that and iy is known to shrink tumors.

Quoting MixedCooke: Pipe dream! It can help but it won't prevent.

Healthy and Fit Forever http://cafemom.com/group/118269

blueskies170
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2015 at 4:10 PM

I hope it does. I love peppers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)