Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My pretty little bodice dagger tattoo ;) So excited for this

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 766 Total Views

Pardon the slightly risque shot. This is my new tattoo! Inspired by Elven swords. I finally have my permanent bodice dagger. So happy. :) 

"The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth" - Lao Tzu

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Graceplustwo
by Inked Queen on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Nice. I like it. No color?
FireMoonGypsy
by Tatted newbie on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM

No color. :) I am a very colorful lady; this is my only tattoo that's b&w. :) 

Quoting Graceplustwo:

Graceplustwo
by Inked Queen on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Nice. I don t have any black and grey work. .. I think it looks good without color lol. I just always ask

Quoting FireMoonGypsy:

No color. :) I am a very colorful lady; this is my only tattoo that's b&w. :) 

Quoting Graceplustwo:

CrazyEagle
by Tatted newbie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:11 AM

@ FireMoonGypsy I really love your tattoo and the placement idea. I hope you are still here, because I have some questions. I really want to get a dagger tattoo myself, but I don't know where to place it. Here is the picture I found - http://www.tattooneed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/white-rose-dagger-tattoo-167x300.jpg (what do you think?) Could I place it exactly how you placed it? 

Any help is appreciated. I only have a tattoo on my whole body (one moon tattoo on my finger, so I need all the help I can get).

Thanks and waiting for your answer.

FireMoonGypsy
by Tatted newbie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Quoting CrazyEagle:

@ FireMoonGypsy I really love your tattoo and the placement idea. I hope you are still here, because I have some questions. I really want to get a dagger tattoo myself, but I don't know where to place it. Here is the picture I found - http://www.tattooneed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/white-rose-dagger-tattoo-167x300.jpg (what do you think?) Could I place it exactly how you placed it? 

Any help is appreciated. I only have a tattoo on my whole body (one moon tattoo on my finger, so I need all the help I can get).

Thanks and waiting for your answer.

Hey there!

Thanks for the compliment. :) I'd be happy to answer questions. (I write lengthy responses, so bear with me)

I did take a look at your picture, it's a pretty dagger tattoo. I am going to ask you a few questions that are in no way judging the design; these are questions that I typically ask myself before I get tatted. Since tattoos are permanent, I personally like to explore creative options and sit on an idea for at least a few months before I get it, just to make sure it is what I want. The questions I ask myself help with that process and reduce the chances of getting something I might not be happy with later. I also try to get tattoos with meaning because if it means something to me I'm more likely to cherish the tattoo forever. Again, this is just how I choose to do things, to each their own. :) I've covered up 2 tattoos from my younger days because I impulsively got them. Thankfully, they covered up very well with much prettier and more meaninful designs, but for some people that doesn't always work out well depending on what they get. 

ANYWHO, so this dagger and rose piece: Do you want color in the handle of the dagger or the rose, or do you want it all grey shading (black and white)? 

If you decide you want color (I'm a pretty colorfully tattooed lady myself; this is my second gray shading tat. I said only one in a previous reply, but I completely forgot about my very first tattoo on my hip, ha. It's super tiny and grey shaded) do you want to stick with a yellow/gold handle and a red rose, or do you have other colors that you like? Do you want to stick with a rose, or is there another flower that you like? Like I stated previously, I'm pretty colorful, but I I have a LOT of purple and orange in my tattoos. I love these colors, and if you research color psychology or color symbolism - I'm very into this stuff - you'll find meaning. For example, Orange is closely associated with rejuvination and is labeled an "uplifting" color. Red is typically associated with passion and romance, especially when it's a red rose (of course, which is why they're so popular on Valentine's Day! :) ) If that is what you're going for, that's awesome, but if you are looking to represent something else that is personal to you - maybe you're going through a tough time and want your tat to remind you of stength, or hope, or to remain peaceful - then you'll have room to work with because so many flowers hold different meanings. You can also explore options for the handle as well. I actually based my handle of my dagger off of various Elvish daggers that J.R.R. Tolkein had drawn up for his LOTR book series. You can find inspiration anywhere. :) 

Another good question to ask yourself is how much detail you truly want in the tattoo? The more detail you get, the larger the tattoo will need to be to accommodate. You want it to still look great 10 years from now, so it's always something to take into consideration. 

Placement: Do you want to display it, or do you want it in a more intimate spot? I think you could place it where mine is, but the tattoo could go in multiple spots. It would be a pretty upper thigh tattoo, a beautiful side piece if it was enlarged, maybe even on a shoulder blade. You stated the only other one you have is a tiny one on your finger, right? Now keep in mind that the sternum area is a place that is considered more painful than other places. I didn't have much of a problem, but I really like to get tattooed so it didn't phase me. Everyone has a different threshold for pain. 

Do you have a tattoo artist picked out in your area? THIS is something that is VERY important. I have multiple tattoos and I have used multiple tattoo artists. This is something that I wish I would have researched more before getting tatted up. I learned through trial and error and have found an amazing artist that I am beyond happy with, but it's much better to do research before hand instead of finding out AFTER getting a tattoo that you should have gone somewhere else. 

Good qualities in a tattoo artist (in case you don't have someone already picked out): 

IS CERTIFIED and has completed some type of apprenticeship (they usually have certificates on their wall) and exceeds standard sterilization and cleanliness qualifications, Is professional, does custom work, is skilled enough to tell you what will work on skin and what won't, has no problem repositioning the outline of the tat on your skin until you are completely happy with the placement, LOVES his job. 

My artist is very intuitive; I can give him the general idea of what I want or list concepts or items I want in a design and he will come up with something better than I was thinking of in the first place. 

WOO that was a lot! Sorry again for the lengthy reply, I hope this helps!

CrazyEagle
by Tatted newbie on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Hello!

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out for a while. I bear with you (read all the article).

I truly want this tattoo. Most important, I don't know any tattoo artists :-(

FireMoonGypsy
by Tatted newbie on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Find oout about ones in your town. Check them on yelp.com or Google them in general to see what the word is. If you're in a small town and none of your friends have any decent tattoo work, you might have to travel to get someone good. Can't put a price on good artwork and if you settle for someone you aren't sure about, it could cost double for a cover up from a better artist.

Quoting CrazyEagle:

Hello!

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out for a while. I bear with you (read all the article).

I truly want this tattoo. Most important, I don't know any tattoo artists :-(

CrazyEagle
by Tatted newbie on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Thanks again! I live in a small town. I will start asking friends to see where they got their tattoos (some of them have good tattoos).

I don't mind traveling to get a good tattoo. I will keep you in touch. And thanks again for all the help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)