Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Achievement verification?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1074 Total Views

Hi, all!

We have had an issue come up in our pack recently that I'd like to get your take on.

I guess specifically this is for Den Leaders/Pack Committee members.  But anyone can assist.

How do you all handle achievement verification?  Recently some beltloop awards were questioned for a particular den.  The Committee Chair decided on her own not to award some of the beltloops as she questioned whether or not all the recipients had actually completed all the requirements.

To be fair it was a new leader and she didn't know all the ins/outs.  She has since been educated on what all needs to happen, time frame involved, etc.  But still feels that many of the Awards are still due.

Insert a little drama and politics that I will leave out..... (eye roll)  Might be helpful, but I'll leave it out for now.

Now the Committee Chair wants to institute a form of some kind that the parent/den leaders must fill out b4 any award can be given.

What process do you all use for this sort of thing?  Do you have a paperwork procedure?  Does the Award stand as long as the Den Leader approves and submits it?  (This goes for awards, beltloops, pins, etc. whether earned in pack mtg, den mtg, at home, etc.)

Thanks for your suggestions/ideas,

tbl

(P.S. I am not directly involved other than being part of the Committee as the Treasurer.  DH is the CubMaster.)

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cindy_T
by Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:46 AM

With my den when it comes to the belt loop/pins ect.  I have given the parents the requirements.  When they have completed the requirements they let me know, some even do the worksheets that you can get online and turn tose in to me.  but unliess it is something that requires it to be done within the Den or Pack you must take the parent and childs word for it. If you essentially start calling your parents liers when they say yes my son did this and you do choose to not believe them, you are going to be loosing some scouts.

tbl
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

That's pretty much what's starting to happen. Thanks for your input. Are the worksheets the parents turn in on the BSA website?

layman75
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Here is the site that you can print off the belt loop requrements for the old and new belt loops.

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Cub_Scout_Academics_and_Sports_Program

Our leaders fill out the monthly advancement sheet http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34403.pdf and turn them into me. I have to take the leaders word that these were earned. I could question the leader to make sure they are aware of what needs to actually occur to earn advancements but unless they seem completely clueless, I can't call them liars and no way no  how do you accuse a parent of lying. Good luck, we have been having drama and fun too but over finances and I am beyond tired of the crud!!

Cindy_T
by Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Below is the site where you can find the requirements, at the bottom of the list of requirements you also have where you can go to get a worksheet in PDF format, I copied these for my parents and scouts. So often they can fill out the worksheet and turn that in.  It works well for us.  Best of luck.  Everyone must remember we teach the boys in Scouts to "Do Your Best" and sometimes their best is just that their best, don't judge them according to anothers ability, but on theirs.
The Academics Program pages can be accessed at http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/academics.asp

The Sports Program pages can be accessed at http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/sports.asp

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 2:10 AM

I think your Committee Chair need to purchase a copy of the "Cub Scout Leader Book".

For Tiger, Wolf, and Bear Cub Scouts, if the parent says their Scout has done their best, and completed an award, or requirement, that is it.  It is a done deal.

The parents sign off in their son's Handbook that something has been completed.  The den leader transfers that to the den records (usually some kind of Excel spreadsheet or the BSA den tracking form).  The den leader gets the monthly info for his/her den to the Pack Advancement person.  This usually happens by filling out some kind of form (den advancement form), or by putting the info into some kind of Pack management program like ScoutTrack, ScoutManage, Packmaster, etc.  The Pack Advancement person then creates a shopping list from all of the den's info, fills out a Unit Advancement form if needed, takes everything to the local council Scout Shop and purchases all awards for the monthly Pack meeting.

Parents can inform their Scouts den leader of misc. awards done on their own (belt loops/pins, BSA Family, etc) by simply writing them a note.  They can also make a copy of something showing what they earned, put their son's name, date he earned it, and their "Akela OK" signature on it and give it to the den leader.  I have had it both ways. We have copies of the pages from the Academic & Sports Guide that we give out to our families.

I find that something in writing, with a name, and date, works well.  That way you have a hard copy of something to remind you to include it in your den's monthly award list.  With the date on there you will also be able to make sure you don't inadvertantly include it for more than one month.

The ONLY time a Tiger/Wolf/Bear parent signoff can be questioned is if the activity happened BEFORE the boy was a registered Cub Scout, or in a different Cub level (for level specific awards).  However, if you train your parents that should not be a problem.

bratette
by New Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Yes I agree we never questioned what a parent says.

nbr1sahm
by on Mar. 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I am a first time den leader this year and I've seen that you just have to trust what the parent signs off on.

Ultimately, when it comes down to it, if the boys are not completing their achievements but still getting credit, it's the boy that will suffer in the long run because they will not be learning the true meaning of scouting.

I do what I can to get information across and make suggestions to parents on activites they can be completing at home. If the parent says they have completed it, I have to take their word.

Now, as for the belt loops, many of them require the boy telling the den about their experience and what they did to earn it. Therefore, I've started telling the parents to email me when a boy has completed a belt loop and he will have 5 minutes at the next meeting to tell us about it. That, to me, would indicate completion and he would then earn the credit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)