Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Tiger Den Leader Needing advice *Long, Sorry!*

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1333 Total Views

My son is a brand new Tiger scout and I volunteered to be the den leader.  I figured there would be some training involved and I would have guidance from more experienced den leaders when I volunteered.  We submitted our applications in June of this year.  I was not contacted until the end of August, one week prior to our kick off picnic.  At that point I was told I need to complete the Youth Protection Training, which I did within a week after.  I was told when our first meeting would be and that was it.  I had no idea what to expect.  I had to call the CM to ask what I needed to do for the first meeting, to which I was told that it would be mainly a "getting to know each other" meeting and I would only need to prepare a little something to keep the kids occupied.

Our first meeting was this past Monday.  I prepared for the meeting based on some information that I found online at scouting.org.  I felt like I was somewhat prepared but I still had no idea what to expect.  I originally thought that all of our dens would meet together on the first night to get the administrative business out of the way and get to know everyone.  There were only a handful of people at our kickoff picnic so I still didn't really know anyone, I had no idea who the boys were that were going to be Tigers and no contact information, I didn't even know how many boys were going to be in my den.  I ended up with 6 boys, which I understand is excellent considering there are 3 packs in our town alone and no advertisement of sign ups or anything like that.

At the meeting I was handed the Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide which would have been helpful to have prior to the meeting!  The dens met in separate rooms which is the normal thing to do, I guess.  I have NO experience with scouts whatsoever.  Our meeting was interupted at least 5 times by the CM and pack Chairperson for administrative functions which I felt should have been handled prior to or after the meeting.  It was chaotic to say the least.  Then, after the meeting the CM proceeded to badmouth and complain about the Chairperson in front of parents and boys.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I joined this pack.  The lack of organization and maturity from our leaders is disappointing to say the least.  I am not going to jump ship just yet, I will ride it out and see how it goes.  My question here is, what can I do to make it better?  I have no idea who any of the other leaders are.  I don't feel that the CM will handle these issues graciously as she has already demonstrated her lack of patience and need for control.  I feel  as though my boys parents are going to see this poor display of behavior and either quit scouts all together or move to another pack in the area.  If I hadn't volunteered to be a leader, I would be considering my options at this point. 

I'm going into this blind and I need someone to help me see the light at the end of the tunnell before I get a bad taste in my mouth for this organization.  I believe in the BSA organization and what it stands for but I just don't feel that the pack we joined demonstrates those qualities.  HELP!

by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
crbloom
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 11:10 PM

My husband and I just started a Tiger Den as well. This is our first year with scouts so it is new to us as well, but we have had a lot of help getting up and running. If you would like you can send me a private message and I will give you my personal email address and we would be more than happy to help you in any way that we can.

Casey :)

QuinnMae
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I don't have much experience, but I was a Tiger den leader last year (Wolves this year).  Tigers should be fun for the kids and their adult partners are supposed to participate in the meetings with their sons.  Just a quick question, the meeting that you had, was it a Pack meeting, or was this your den meeting (sounded like it was a den meeting)?  I am wondering why it is organized the way that it is?  When I was asked to lead our den I was told that one of the benefits of stepping up as leader is that you can make the meetings work for you.  Of course you want the time and place to work for everyone, but if you are taking on the leadership role your schedule is the most important. 

I would see if there is any way to do your den meeting at a better time or place so that you are working as a den and you won't have to deal with interruptions.  It can be really hard to keep boys that age on task, no matter how quick the interruption is.  You will be able to get more done and probably have more fun if you were to do your den meetings away from the chaos (if possible).  I guess it all just depends on how your pack is run. 

The one thing that I found really helpful is shared leadership.  I had a paper with all of the months posted on it and had my Tiger parents all pick a month that they would host one of the den meetings.  It took a lot off my plate.  Of course I still had to do a lot of the work, but it gives each family a chance to host their fellow scouts and takes some of the work off of your plate. 

Anyhow, good luck and I hope you get some more advise.  Try to have fun with it.  Tigers are a lot of fun

travzmom
by New Member on Sep. 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Yes it was a den meeting.  I was just informed this evening that we could hold our meetings when & where we choose.  I think I may need to do something like that once I get more comfortable in the role.  As of right now, I only have the CM & the Chairperson's name & phone numbers.  I still don't know anyone else!  I was told to turn my recognition & advancements into a gentleman by the name of Ray.  Who he is and how to contact him is beyond me!

Quoting QuinnMae:

I don't have much experience, but I was a Tiger den leader last year (Wolves this year).  Tigers should be fun for the kids and their adult partners are supposed to participate in the meetings with their sons.  Just a quick question, the meeting that you had, was it a Pack meeting, or was this your den meeting (sounded like it was a den meeting)?  I am wondering why it is organized the way that it is?  When I was asked to lead our den I was told that one of the benefits of stepping up as leader is that you can make the meetings work for you.  Of course you want the time and place to work for everyone, but if you are taking on the leadership role your schedule is the most important. 

I would see if there is any way to do your den meeting at a better time or place so that you are working as a den and you won't have to deal with interruptions.  It can be really hard to keep boys that age on task, no matter how quick the interruption is.  You will be able to get more done and probably have more fun if you were to do your den meetings away from the chaos (if possible).  I guess it all just depends on how your pack is run. 

The one thing that I found really helpful is shared leadership.  I had a paper with all of the months posted on it and had my Tiger parents all pick a month that they would host one of the den meetings.  It took a lot off my plate.  Of course I still had to do a lot of the work, but it gives each family a chance to host their fellow scouts and takes some of the work off of your plate. 

Anyhow, good luck and I hope you get some more advise.  Try to have fun with it.  Tigers are a lot of fun

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2010 at 4:11 AM

First of all, you need to concentrate on your den.

The Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide is a great place to start.  It gives you a bit of an overview of Cub Scouting, and has step-by-step directions for your meetings.  Reading thru the Tiger Handbook is also a good idea. 

The Tiger program is really basic, and acts as a beginners intoduction to Cub Scouts.  There is a lot of information on the Cub Scout pages at the BSA National Web site -

https://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/CubScouts/Leaders.aspx

You need to sign your Tiger Teams up to plan/run meetings.  With 6 boys you can have each Team do one month.  You can find the Tiger den meeting plans, from The Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide, online at the above address.  Give your Tiger Teams a copy of their month's meeting plan. 

You also need to get contact info on all of your Tiger Teams.  At your next meeting pass out a sheet and get everyone's full name, address, phone, and e-mail.  Once you have this info, get your Teams signed up, and your meetings laid out, you should put together a den calendar.  Give each Tiger Team a copy along with a copy of the contact info for the Tiger Teams (including yours).

I would suggest that you do this month's meetings to get your Tiger Teams comfortable.  You will want to concentrate on the Bobcat requirements.  Incorporating the Cub Scout Motto, Sign, Salute, Promise, Law, and Handshake, into an opening and closing den ceremony at every meeting will help the Teams to get to know them.

It sounds like your Pack is one of those that all meet together at the same time, and place each week.  Unfortunately, it does not sound like they utilize a Pack gathering time for communication, and Pack business.  Those interputions can be a pain in the posterier region!

Changing your Tiger meeting place and time might work as an option.  It depends on what works best for you and your Tiger Teams.

Contact your Cubmaster and get a copy of the Pack calendar for this year.  Give a copy of this to your Teams as well.  Also ask your Cubmaster the date, place, and time of the next monthly Pack Leaders Meeting (this might be on the Pack calendar).  Make sure to attend each month.  This is where you should be able to meet the other volunteers in your Pack, find out what is going on in the Pack, and to make any suggestions.

Check out your local council's Web site.  If there is an e-newsletter sign up for it.  Find out the date, place, and time, of your District Roundtable.  Roundtable is a place to meet your Council volunteers, and professionals, to get to know other Cub Scout leaders in your area, and to get new ideas that you can take back to use with your den and share with your Pack.

If you have not already done so, go to the E-Learning area, of the MyScouting section, of the BSA National Web site, and take all of your Cub Scout online training.  All leader training can now be done online.  This training will help give you and idea of what Cub Scouting should be, and how/what you should be doing with your Tiger den.

Good Luck!

Keep It Simple - Make It Fun!

Tigers are G-R-R-R-R-R-R-E-A-T !!

Beckymk
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Everything has already basically been covered.   I just wanted to give you a hang in there.   Sounds very confusing.

I'm the new Tiger Den leader this year and I have 2 older boys who have gone through it, so basically I'm taking the parts of each Den that I liked and running with it.

We have committee meetings once a month where they go over all the administrative stuff.

Basically our Tiger Dens run that they meet about once a month to do the "Go See It's" and get the 5 requirements done before Feb.'s Blue & Gold and then we have Pack Night which is when all the dens meet.

I really don't have a clue what I'm doing either but I'm winging it.

Crystal_235
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Sounds like everybody already told you what I would have. I've been both a Tiger and Wolf leader (this year a different parent joined the group and said she would take the Bear position-I told her I would help with it)  I would find a place to hold den meetings away from the rest of the groups. You see the rest of the groups at the pack meeting. Just follow the resource guide to base your meetings on. For tiger's I held one meeting, plus one go see it a month. Working on the main requirements to get the badge. After they got the badge, we had other meetings- to cover some electives-one was a magic day. Oh and in Tiger cubs, parents are supposed to attend everymeeting with their tiger.

Hope some of this helps you out

shelly312007
by New Member on Oct. 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I'm in the same boat but the book they gave me is in order and has the meeting all laid out for me. We are going to the police station, TV station. Air traciffice control tower, Musume.  We are going to be taking pictures and making our scrapebook for the last thing unstead of the first thing this year.

My Pack master is great  He basically told me what we need to do and that he had some contacts in those places.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN