Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small Minded Parents (Vent)

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 312 Total Views

Ok, once we finished our Tiger Cub badges, I asked the boys to vote on which belt loops they wanted to work on, letting them choose instead of just me saying this was how it was going to be and that's that.
The boys chose Video games, music, and map and compass. So I sent home a notice with the parents telling them when we would be doing what, spending one whole meeting on each requirement of the belt loops. Yesterday, we were listening to different types of music, all of which the boys named the week before when we talked about music's influence on our lives and what kinds of music there is out there.
Ok, so, here is where the small minded parents come into play. Everything was fine, we were listening to the music and talking about the different traits of each type. When I got to the showtunes, which one of the boys named and wanted to hear, not me, one of the parents took her son by the hand and walked out, saying "I don't want my child exposed to this gay sh*t" (she said this in the Church we hold out meetings in) and went to the Scout Master and complained that I was insulting the culture down in the south, and trying to push a career in Broadway musicals on the boys, trying to turn them all gay (her words, not mine), by "forcing" them to listen to and learn about showtunes!! I would not have played it is the boys did not want to hear it, and its not like I played Rent, Spring Awakening, or Avenue Q for them, I played a short selection from Phantom of the Opera to show them Opera and from 1776 to show them storytelling through song.
The Scout Master, diplomatically, took my side because she knew exactly what was going to happen in the meeting, she had the meeting outline in her hand while complaining.
I just don't understand how a parent can act like that over a simple selection from two great musicals, especially when it was the boys who wanted to hear it. Them asking told me they want to be exposed to things other then what their parents listen to, and some of them realize that I am not from around here and they are using the resource I provide to explore other stuff.
Sorry, I just had to get that out and off my chest....

by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM

How unfortunate. A rather bad example for the youth.

How did the other Tiger Teams react?

MidnightSun327
by Member on Feb. 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM

They had no problems with the examples and took the opportunity to learn about not only the American Musical as an art form and music genre, but also to learn a little about a different part of the country's culture by asking questions and asking for stories

Quoting nuts4scouts:

How unfortunate. A rather bad example for the youth.

How did the other Tiger Teams react?

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Actually, I was asking how they reacted to the outburst by the parent.

MidnightSun327
by Member on Feb. 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM

They were speechless and didn't know how to react... I just kept cool and continued on with the rest of the boys... I wasn't going to let her outburst ruin the meeting and the experience for the rest of the boys. Once I continued on, the parents did the same and didn't mention it. This parent has been giving the entire Pack trouble all year, complaining if things run 5 minutes over time or if we have to reschedule because of weather or anything like that. Scout Master told her, you think you can do a better job, then go ahead, but before you do, remember, our den leaders put an average of 7 hours at home into each hour long meeting, which really shut her up, honestly, lol

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Actually, I was asking how they reacted to the outburst by the parent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)