Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normally how it works??

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 373 Total Views
When we all signed the boys up at the beginning of the school year, there was no Tiger leader. The cubmaster ran the first meeting. Our now leader showed interest in helping out and becoming a co leader. She didn't really wanna run the show alone though. A dad said hed help her out. So the cubmaster gave the leader the keys to the scout cabin and told her to do the online youth protection training. She did that and thats all thats ever happened. The guy vanished. So, I decided I wanted to help her out so I took all the online training courses. I contacted one of the head guys at our council and he had me email him my certificates from the courses. Neither the leader nor I have heard ANYTHING back! Basically we have no "official" leaders, no paperwork for badges/ranks, no member IDs, nothing! This seems very un structured. This can't be the normal par for the course, is it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yikes! 

Are you, not your son, you, an official BSA member?  If not, then you need to fill out the application.  You can't be a member or an official leader until they've done a background check on you. 

Do you know what pack you are in charge of?  Does your pack have pack meetings?  If so, corner the committee chair or the scout master at the next meeting and politely demand to be given the paperwork and some direction as to how you're supposed to handle rank requirments and rewards.  Also ask for a list of committee meetings so that you can attend. 

If all else fails, use the BSA website to identify another local pack, take all your boys, and go join up there.  If you're willing to run your own den, they'll most likely welcome you with open arms.  Or, you could always look for a sponsor and start your own pack! 

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Let's not leap to starting your own Pack just yet!

When you say the one dad vanished, did he pull his son out of the Tiger den? If so perhaps he decided Scouting was not for his family. Did the current den "leader" ever call him to find out what was going on?

You say that neither you or the other mom have ever filled out any paperwork to be BSA volunteers? Then that should be your FIRST objective. I am a bit surprised that the Cubmaster (CM) has not followed thru on leadership for the Tiger den.

Call your Cubmaster and tell him you and the other mom would like to become official den leaders. Ask for BSA Adult Applications. The BSA National registration dues are $15 per year (same as for your son). Let him know which online trainings you have completed (encourage the other mom to complete them also).

Ask for information on the monthly Pack Leaders meetings (where/when/etc), and contact info for the other Pack leaders (especially the Awards/Advancement Chair).

The Cubmaster, or Committee Chair, will turn in your applications to your local BSA council. The council will do a complete background check. The council will only contact you about your background check results if it turned up a problem.

Councils run their membership cards at different times. Some only run them at recharter time. Some will run cards for new members. With the wait for the background check results, and office staff who are sometimes a bit overworked, you could be waiting 3+ months for a membership card. When you do get your card, make sure to go back into MyScouting and update your profile with your membership number. This will help to ensure that your council gets all of your training information.

Other than a bad result on your council background check, when your Committee Chair, and the Pack's Chartering Organization, have signed off on your application, and turned it into council, you are official.

As for awards - Have the Tigers not received anything at all since the start of the school year? By now they should, at least, have earned their Bobcat rank award, their Tiger Totem, and a number of orange, black, and white, beads.If the Tigers have not received anything yet (should have been another red flag for Pack leadership that there was a problem in your den) the best thing to do would be to collect everyone's Tiger Handbook, sit down with a list of everything the den has done, and who was at every den meeting/outing, and go thru to mark off who has earned what.

Contact the Pack's Awards Chair to find out how far in advance of the monthly Pack meeting he/she needs the list of what the Tigers have earned that month. Some Award Chairs want their den leaders to use a specific form for reporting awards. Others don't really care as long as you get them some kind of list. I asked leaders to list by boy and award so I would know who got what awards, and how to package them.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

When you talk to your CM, or Awards Chair, find out if the Pack uses some kind of Pack Management system - Packmaster, ScoutTrack, ScoutManage, etc.

You might be able to enter your Scouts award info into a database online.

When I convinced our Pack to go with ScoutManage it was a terrific help to me as Awards Chair, and easier for the den leaders as well.

SammyJK
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM
I called earlier and spoke to the district guy and got the ball rolling. He let me know that our pack doesn't take advantage of many of the available resources and most of our den leaders haven't been fully trained. We're setting up a leader orientation with him and two trainers and ALL den leaders. He also said he will make it a priority to get yo our parent/leader meeting Monday night to help get things straightened out and moving the right way. Or cm is brand new too. He was just appointed last month. So hopefully we will get things figured out and progressing smoothly after monday night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I said if all else fails... 

I  was worried because the way it sounded they weren't having any pack meetings....  that's not exactly the kind of pack you want to work with.  But I was being kinda snarky about that because I'm sorta upset with our BSA leaders right now for pushing a "new pack" on us. 

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Let's not leap to starting your own Pack just yet!

SammyJK
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Ddd, I dont think we have been having the pack meetings as often as we should. The new CM is my bil and happens to also be my neighbor so I'm in constant contact with him. Hes trying to get familiarized with how things work right now too. I think as long as him and I stay on top of it, we should be able to make a difference. Thats what I'm hoping anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mbailey
by Group Admin on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Nuts 4 Scouts covered it all! Just some added two cents....

The CubMaster normally would have an interested parent fill out an Adult application and then add you to the Pack Charter with the local Council. Maybe email the Cub Master. Re-Chartering is going on right now, so this woiuld be a great time to be added as a Den Leader. There is a fee of $15.00 that the pack may or may not pay for thier volunteeers. Also once you become a leader check out local Rountables to attend for more information about training and getting ideas on Den Meetings and Go and See It trips.

Good Luck! And have Fun!

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Quoting Mbailey:

Re-Chartering is going on right now, so this woiuld be a great time to be added as a Den Leader.

Just a note - While this might be true for your council, it is not necessarialy the same for SammyJK's council.

My council re-charters units as of Jan 1st, so we are all done. I have heard of some that re-charter in June or July. I have even heard of some that have different dates for Packs/Troops/Teams/Crews/etc.

Quoting SammyJK:

I called earlier and spoke to the district guy and got the ball rolling. He let me know that our pack doesn't take advantage of many of the available resources and most of our den leaders haven't been fully trained. We're setting up a leader orientation with him and two trainers and ALL den leaders. He also said he will make it a priority to get yo our parent/leader meeting Monday night to help get things straightened out and moving the right way. Or cm is brand new too. He was just appointed last month. So hopefully we will get things figured out and progressing smoothly after monday night.

I am assuming here that the "district guy" is your District Executive? Hopfully he will bring along your District Commissioner, or even better, your own Unit Commissioner. It is the job of the Commissioners to help out Scout units (Pack/Troop/Team/Crew/Ship).

Suggest to your bil the CM, that he give your Charter Organization Representative (COR), and your Committee Chair (CC) (who should actually be in charge of the monthly Pack Leaders Meeting), a call and make sure that they attend the meeting on Monday.

Just wondering - is your Pack new? Is it rather small? You don't seem to have anyone with much experience in your Pack.

SammyJK
by Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Yes our pack is very small. It's not new though. I think it's dwindled over the years a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mbailey
by Group Admin on Feb. 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I did not know that! I've always wondered why ours was March vs. Jan or before school. Oops!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN