Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Popcorn Sales Awards

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 612 Total Views
Ds sold $600+ in popcorn and got all kinds of free tickets to different sports games around ths area. We went to the "Q For A Day" event and Lake Erie Monsters hockey game tonight and ds had an absolute blast!! The event is the biggest scouting event of the year around here and included the top sellers from 7 different councils in our area. So happy for my lil Tiger!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Cool!  

SammyJK
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM
He had soooo much fun! I love that they go all out for the cub/boy scouts and really reward them and give them such awesome opportunities. I really love the fact that 70% of the sales goes back to them too. Thats why I just can't get behind selling all the crap for school and stuff, because they gain very little from it. Even girl scout cookies. It's hard for me to justify putting as much work into selling them as we do popcorn. I LOVE scouts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM

As with popcorn, approximately 70% of the cost of Girl Scout cookies stay in the local council.

However, while most BSA units receive at least 30% pofit from the sale of popcorn, the cash profit that a Girl Scout Troop gets from selling cookies is estimated to be about 10-20%.

SammyJK
by Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:47 AM
My girl scout doesn't see any of the profits from cookies whatsoever because shes a juliette.

Quoting nuts4scouts:

As with popcorn, approximately 70% of the cost of Girl Scout cookies stay in the local council.

However, while most BSA units receive at least 30% pofit from the sale of popcorn, the cash profit that a Girl Scout Troop gets from selling cookies is estimated to be about 10-20%.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

GSUSA does not allow any individual to benefit from money-earning activities. All money earned in the name of Girl Scouting must be used for Girl Scouting, and actually belongs to the local Council.

While a Juliette (Individual Girl Member) participating in the Cookie Sale can not keep any cash profit, she does get to keep the recognition items (stuffed animal, flashlight, t-shirt, etc ) she has earned.

Usually a Council will allow a Juliette to earn cash profit if she is working with an established Troop, a Special Interest Group, or a group of Juliettes working together. However, again, in those instances the profit goes to the Troop/Group, and not the individaul girl.

You should also remember that a Juliette is utilizing more of the Council's resources, and activities, than a Troop would be.

Quoting SammyJK:

My girl scout doesn't see any of the profits from cookies whatsoever because shes a juliette.

Quoting nuts4scouts:

SammyJK
by Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM
How is a juliette utilizing anything of the councils more than anyone else? She pays dues like any other gs does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM

In general, a Juliette goes thru the council for many of her Scouting activities.

Girls affiliated with Troops generally tend to plan their own activities more, and not rely on the council activities as much.

SammyJK
by Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Isn't that the reason the council provides the activities?

Quoting nuts4scouts:

In general, a Juliette goes thru the council for many of her Scouting activities.

Girls affiliated with Troops generally tend to plan their own activities more, and not rely on the council activities as much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Here Juliettes pay their own way, mose so than Troop girls. Also, any troop$ is really council money because they own the troops and audit them. So who spends more council money?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SammyJK
by Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM
We (dh & I pay for everything out of pocket. There are activities offered through council, but it's mostly troops participating because thats what most activities are geared for -troops not Juliettes. I guess I'm just confused on how a Juliette utilized more from council than troops do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)