Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wolf Leader

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 474 Total Views

Hey Everyone, My name is Jessie and I am the Wolf Leader in my son's cub scout pack. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to try and help. Also if anyone has any suggestions that their pack has done and wants to share I always love new ideas to do with the boys in the pack!

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

There is a Wolf Park that takes in injured wolves who can't live in the wild anymore not too far away that a lot of Wolf dens go visit. They learn about wolves and get a chance to howl w/ them. You could see if there is anything like that near you. 

Ds2's den were Wolves last school yr. We took the boys ice skating, visited the local police station and town hall, went to a conservatory, went out for pizza after handing out Scouting for Food fliers, went for a hike at a local county park and visited it's orinthology center. 

The pack had a family campout in May, and every fall they march in the town's Fall Festival parade.

jessiesievert2
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I didn't even think about the Wolf Park, I know there is one here in Colorado, will have to check into it. We have done the other stuff before, not that I can't do it again lol. I also found out that (at least here) Little Ceaser Pizza will the let the boys come in and they will teach them how to make pizza and each boy gets to make there own. We are also doing our Prade of Lights for the city, which is the first time for our pack but I think the boys will have a blast with it.

wakymom
by Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I'll have to check and see if the Little Caeser's near us will do that- my den is Bears, but they would love that!

SammyJK
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Whats the policy on arrow points as far as redoing some of the regular requirements? I think I read that theyre counted as electives when done a second time, but I can't find where I read that at!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Nope, not for Wolf Cubs.

The Wolf program is separated into requirements and electives. They are not mixed at all. If you redo a requirement you simply get the experience of redoing it - period.

The Bear program is where you can use requirements that were not used toward the Bear badge as electives.

SammyJK
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Ok thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessiesievert2
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If one of the achievements for the wolf patch is also an elective you can count it as both. However looking through the book I can't find any achievements that are the same as the electives. I can find some that are similar so you could do it all in one meeting like, Achievement 9 -Be safe at home and one the street and also Elective 16 A-C - Family Alert.

Quoting SammyJK:

Whats the policy on arrow points as far as redoing some of the regular requirements? I think I read that theyre counted as electives when done a second time, but I can't find where I read that at!

DLNewbie
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Hi Jessie, I'm so glad you offered.  I found myself a Den Leader for my son's Wolf den this year and I have a question that I can't find the answer to.  Hope you can help.

It has to do with advancement and the requirements to get the Wolf badge.  There are 12 Achievements and each has a number of tasks under it to complete.  I understand that in order for a boy to receive a bead on his "advancement toward rank" badge, he needs to complete 3 Achievements.  I'm guessing that means completing every task under that Achievement.  Is that correct?  So when a boy earns 4 beads, he would have completed all 12 Achievements (all tasks) and will then earn his Wolf badge.

However, I have also read in different places on the Internet that a boy must complete 49 of 62 of the tasks to achieve the wolf rank.  For clarity, I counted the number of tasks under the 12 Achievements, and there are, indeed, 62 of them.  That would have a scout only completing some of the tasks under each Achievement. 

So does this mean that a cub can earn the Wolf badge at the end of the scouting year without earning all four beads?  Or does that mean that a scout can earn a bead if he completes 79% of the tasks under an Achievement?  By my math, 49 of 62 is 79%.  Or is there another interpretation of the "rules" for advancement that I should know about?

All this is an issue for me because I have inconsistent participation in my Den.  The only boy who has been there every week and done all the outside homework is my own son.  I have 2 boys who attend, but don't always do the outside assignments.  I have 1 boy who joined late, and therefore is far behind on his Achievements.  I have 3 other boys whose attendance is not all that great and their parents do little or nothing outside of the meetings to help them with their Achievements. 

I try very hard to meet as many Achievements as possible in the den meetings.  But, as you know, the Wolf program is designed to have a lot of parent involvement and outside work.  So do only the boys that complete all tasks on all 12 Achievements and earn 4 beads receive the badge of Wolf at the end of the scouting year?  Or do the boys who do 49 of 62 tasks from the Achievements get the Wolf badge and not necessarily any beads?  Should I not use the beads at all considering our den situation?

All input is welcome and I so appreciate your help.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Each Achievement  spells out what must be done to complete THAT Achievement.... You must fully  complete three Achievements to receive a bead...If you look at the back of the book, where they color in what they have done, it may make it easier to understand...

That means Achievement 1 "Feats of Skill" You mut do all of #1A, B, C, D, AND E  and ONE more of 1f, g, h, i, j, k, OR L... just follow what it says in the book...

For Achievement #2 doesn't specify and OR this... so you must do all of the activites to complete the achievement

#3 - 9 also do not give you options - so you must complete them all

#10 says do 10A and TWO more of  B, C, D, E, F, OR G

#11 is a do all

#12 is do A and FOUR more of B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, OR K,

Quoting DLNewbie:

It has to do with advancement and the requirements to get the Wolf badge.  There are 12 Achievements and each has a number of tasks under it to complete.  I understand that in order for a boy to receive a bead on his "advancement toward rank" badge, he needs to complete 3 Achievements.  I'm guessing that means completing every task under that Achievement.  Is that correct?  So when a boy earns 4 beads, he would have completed all 12 Achievements (all tasks) and will then earn his Wolf badge.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

DLNewbie
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Jinx, Are you saying that they must do all the Achievements as you have outlined above in order to get the Wolf rank?  If so, what do you suggest be done for boys who did all they could, but whose parents were not as helpful as they should have been?  It feels so bad to think of not awarding a badge if ALL the tasks under every Achievement are not met.  Have you never heard of that "49 out of 62" idea before?  It's something I found while trying to find my answer while googling.  It comes from an official scouting site, but I don't know if that is just something one particular pack or region implemented? since I don't find it in the book or leader's guide.

Thanks for indulging me on these questions that seem nit-picky.  I want to "do my best" for the boys in our den.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN