Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raingutter Regatta 2012 - Using Juice Boxes, Paper Plates & Duct Tape

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 457 Total Views

Hi!

I was the POC for our Raingutter Regatta this year - overall it was a very good time!  Instead of using the kits and having folks spend time making the boats at home - we do it a little differently we use: Juice Boxes, Cheap Paper Plates & Duct Tape.

The kids drink the juice boxes, an adult volunteer cuts the paper plates into quarters and then the parents and the kids tape the "sail (paper plate quarter)" onto the "boat (empty juice box)", (be sure to tape the straw hole as well) then the boys blow the boats down the rain gutter - then blow them back.  It works out really, really well and everyone gets into it. 

We have a category for each rank (Tiger, Wolves, Bears, Webelos I, Webelos II) 2 Sibling Categories and a Parent Category.  We offer trophies for each category.  As each person arrived - we had them signup so we knew who was there. 

We ran the races with the grids like you have for any pinewood derby or sporting event.  And that's how we determined a winner for each category.  At the end we had an awards ceremony - we did the awards by category - each participant got a captains award (sheet of paper with their name on it) - then we announced the winners starting with 3rd and presented their trophies. 

Everyone helped clean up and we were out of there within 30 minutes of finishing the event. 

Things I would do differently:

* Have a separate signup sheets for each category - I had the siblings on the den sheets - that didn't work so well ;)  Make sure there's a parent race signup sheet.  Make sure I have a clip board for the signup.

* We had people come VERY late - like 1.5 hours late and still want their children to race.  I would have a cut off time where if you arrive after x you can only race in a special race (ie no award race).  I would advertise that prior to the event. 

* We had a parent behave badly - I would have a parent code of conduct announced prior to the beginning of the race.  Making sure the code of conduct has consequences.  Know that we can ask parents to leave if they're causing too much trauma.

* Make sure that all leaders participating know that the POC is the focal point for any challenges, issues if you can't resolve or if it's a big issue then escalate to the POC - then if the POC can't get a resolution with the parent - then the committee chair is involved.  Individual leaders shouldn't have to deal with naughty parents.

I've got a document of how to do the RGR - just not sure where to post it.................

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
wakymom
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Sounds like fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)