Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about OWLS training for Webelos leaders

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 272 Total Views

Is this absolutely, positively necessary to take the boys on a den-only campout if I'm BALOO trained?

My boys (and parents) want to do a den-only campout. I'm BALOO trained but our council seems to not schedule very many OWLS trainings.

~Karen, loving wife to David and proud mama of Ryan, Megan & Braden

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted. They seem not to notice us, hovering, averting our eyes, and they seldom offer thanks, but what we do for them is never wasted." 

~ Garrison Keillor

Webelos 1 Den Leader/Assistant Cubmaster ~ Cub Scout Pack 38

Leader ~ Brownie Troop 35

by on Sep. 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SuperLooneyMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM

I wish I can answer that as I am signed up for Baloo and OWLS next month together but my guess would be Baloo is ok. Our Hike Chair had a overnighter and only has BALOO.

Bryan (6/10/98) Johnathan (3/1/00) Kaitlyn (6/17/06)

Me between work Scouts and  family

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Here is where BSA gets a bit backwards on its rules.

BALOO is required by BSA ONLY for PACK overnighters.

BSA recommends, but does NOT REQUIRE Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders  (OWLS in your case) in order to take a Webelos Den camping.

Individual councils can make the rules more stringent if they want.  There are some councils that do require someone trained in Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders in order to take their Webelos Den on a den campout.

My council offers OLSWL 2X a year.  We usually actually hold the training only once every 2 years or so.  Why?  Because, since BSA does not require the training, folks do not want to take it.  We offer the training, no one signs up, we cancel the training.  It is a real shame because the training is quite good.  We would hold it if even 1 or 2 signed up because we piggyback on OLS for SM training.

Contact your council to see what their requirements are to get a Tour Permit for a Webelos Den Overnighter.

3cuties4me
by Group Owner on Sep. 27, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Thanks for that info, Nuts. That sounds exactly like what the go-to girl at the Council told me when I stopped in the other day. I found it is supposed to be offered in 2 weeks;  have a number of a guy  I need to call about it. However, V said if I can't make it, that so long as there is a BALOO trained individual going then we're good to go. My group will be so relieved!

~Karen, loving wife to David and proud mama of Ryan, Megan & Braden

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted. They seem not to notice us, hovering, averting our eyes, and they seldom offer thanks, but what we do for them is never wasted." 

~ Garrison Keillor

Webelos 1 Den Leader/Assistant Cubmaster ~ Cub Scout Pack 38

Leader ~ Brownie Troop 35

SuperLooneyMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I am going to go ahead and register for both today since the spots aren't filled yet.

SuperLooneyMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Well I did do the training yet I am dumb founded... at the BALOO and OS4WL we as a group were told that we can leave some parents behind for a Web overnighter. Then I went to LEAD and they said all scouts must have a parent. So to confirm that I called my DE and he stated all web scouts must have a parent. Nuts any idea how to conclude this?? Could use you since I am planning a Web campout this May.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

Well I did do the training yet I am dumb founded... at the BALOO and OS4WL we as a group were told that we can leave some parents behind for a Web overnighter. Then I went to LEAD and they said all scouts must have a parent. So to confirm that I called my DE and he stated all web scouts must have a parent. Nuts any idea how to conclude this?? Could use you since I am planning a Web campout this May.

I am glad to hear you are planning a Webelos den campout!  For some reason many Webelos den leaders (even the guys) are reluctant to do this.

For your question - Well meaning trainers (and leaders too) who do not have back-up for what they state as fact do more harm than good.

What the BSA Guide to Safe Scouting states in BOLD type (meaning it is a BSA rule or policy) on Webelos den camping is  -

"A Webelos Scout may participate in overnight den camping when supervised by an adult. In most cases, the Webelos Scout will be under the supervision of his parent or guardian. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of a parent-approved adult. "

The underlining is mine.

Basically what this means is that the BEST practice is to have each Webelos there with at least one of his own parents.  However - if absolutely necessary, a parent can designate another adult to supervise their son, and be his guardian, for the one trip.

This should be the exception however, NOT the rule!

If this happens, you should get a permission slip from the parent stating they are giving Mr/Mrs X permission to be in charge of their son for the trip.

Youth protection rules would also apply.  The Webelos would not be allowed to sleep in the other adults tent.  One tent for the adult(s), and a separate one for the boys (theirs and the one they are in charge of) would be the way to go.

It is also a real good idea if the parent doing double duty is NOT one of the Webelos den leaders!

Actually, this same policy applies to Pack Overnighters too.  If there is some really good reason that a Cubs parents can not attend, and they have talked another Pack family into agreeing to take their son with them on the overnight, and be responsible for him, it is OK.  Not wonderful, but doable. 

Again, YP, and all sorts of permission slips.

SuperLooneyMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 8:17 PM

You know it's funny that I looked up the answer after I asked it here. I searched Scouting.org and searched by webelos campout and up popped all of the answers. So sorry to have bothered with the question but I figured you are like the messiah of research and rules. Thanks for confirming that for me.

My husband , myself, asst den leader and a few other parents are YP trained.So we are good there. I sent a email stating only one parent per scout since my camping place only allows 10 per site. We are going thru Thousand Trails  in Morgan Hill,CA, where the boys can do so much including hiking,basketball, tennis,mini golf, badminton,shuffleboard and more. It has a swimming pool but I am making that off limits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)