Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Webelos 2 or Boy Scouts

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 8:05 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 639 Total Views

Our school just had a very successful round-up. I was notified yesterday that 2 boys signed up for Webelos 2.

I would normally welcome all new Scouts with open arms but my Webelos 2 den (the only one at our school) is very small with only 5 boys. All of these boys are within 2 requirments of earning their Arrow of Light and moving on to Boy Scouts. They only have 3 activity pins left to earn to have all 20 and they'll be finished one of those before this month is over. We fully intend to be out of Cub Scouts by December.

That said, there is no way I can catch these 2 new boys up to where they need to be just to earn their Webelos badge, much less their Arrow of Light.

Would it be wrong to recommend that since they're both in the 5th grade and 10.5 years old that they just go straight to Boy Scouting? If it is would it be wrong to suggest they join the Webelos 1?

I don't mind at all if they attend my den meetings; I just don't plan on starting over at the Bobcat Trail at this point. I guess they could conceivably earn their Webelos badge if they busted butt at home doing the Bobcat Trail and the other Webelos badge requirements.

~Karen

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted. They seem not to notice us, hovering, averting our eyes, and they seldom offer thanks, but what we do for them is never wasted."   ~ Garrison Keillor

by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM

We had a 5th grader interested last yr. Our Cubmaster talked to the parents about the pros and cons of joining Cub Scouts that close to crossover, but left it up to the parents and boy to decide. In our case, they opted to wait a few months and go straight into Boy Scouts. If your 2 new boys decide to start w/ Webelos, make sure the parents understand that they would have to do the work for the badges at home, but the badges are not required to crossover. The boys will still get a great, fun intro into Scouting.

coleysmama
by Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Quoting wakymom:

We had a 5th grader interested last yr. Our Cubmaster talked to the parents about the pros and cons of joining Cub Scouts that close to crossover, but left it up to the parents and boy to decide. In our case, they opted to wait a few months and go straight into Boy Scouts. If your 2 new boys decide to start w/ Webelos, make sure the parents understand that they would have to do the work for the badges at home, but the badges are not required to crossover. The boys will still get a great, fun intro into Scouting.

I would probably have a meeting with the parents and explain the options. If it were me, I think they should join your group and get a taste for scouting. This way they can also feel part of the group and geremony when its time to cross over. You'd hate to make a boy wait to join  and then they lose interest in the meantime or do so much work to catch up that they hate it and quit.  Even though you'll just be working on the last 2 req i'm sure you'll still have fun things to do, trips or outings and some fun activities at packnight for them to be a part of. Why are you done in Dec? Even though you'll be finished with req. couldn't you still work on extra badges or still have fun den meetings till official  crossover? Ours was last Feb at Blue and Gold.

coleysmama
by Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Quoting 3cuties4me:

Our school just had a very successful round-up. I was notified yesterday that 2 boys signed up for Webelos 2.

I would normally welcome all new Scouts with open arms but my Webelos 2 den (the only one at our school) is very small with only 5 boys. All of these boys are within 2 requirments of earning their Arrow of Light and moving on to Boy Scouts. They only have 3 activity pins left to earn to have all 20 and they'll be finished one of those before this month is over. We fully intend to be out of Cub Scouts by December.

That said, there is no way I can catch these 2 new boys up to where they need to be just to earn their Webelos badge, much less their Arrow of Light.

Would it be wrong to recommend that since they're both in the 5th grade and 10.5 years old that they just go straight to Boy Scouting? If it is would it be wrong to suggest they join the Webelos 1?

I don't mind at all if they attend my den meetings; I just don't plan on starting over at the Bobcat Trail at this point. I guess they could conceivably earn their Webelos badge if they busted butt at home doing the Bobcat Trail and the other Webelos badge requirements.

Guess I wasn't reading carefully the first time...LOL I thought you  meant that they should wait till later on in the school year and then join Boy Scouts. Hmmm, thats a tough one.... On one hand they might be intimidated to go straight to BS being that they've never experienced scouts at all and will be the youngest by far in any troop. They might have more fun with boys their age in Cubs. Then again they might  feel like they will be doing Cub work for nothing. I'm torn....... Sorry.

Nuts? Oh Nuts, where are you? Help is needed....LOL 

lilpawz
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM

lol I was just thinking this is one for Nutz! I would let them know that you Webelos is a two part program and that you guys are very far in it. I would tell them that of course they can join your group. they can do the 2 pins you are going to do with your existing group as a den and then do Citizenship and fitness on their own with there family at the same time. That will get them their Webelo badge. They do not need arrow of light even tho it is cool for them to get. They should have no problem getting the other stuff down before crossover. Do you crossover all your 2nd yrs in Dec or is that just a goal you have for yourself? If you do not cross until Feb then what do you guys do in Jan? do you guys take a break from scouting or just do other stuff that is not webelo requirement related? its ok for the 2 new boys to do either, but I agree they may want to hang out with your guys and try scouting out before just jumping into boy scouts. Let them earn a pin or 2 and try to earn the webelo badge. they do not have to earn as much as your other boys and I am sure they will understand since they were not there for the first year. Good luck! 

Tyler age 3                                                 Brenden age 13

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Since your new Webelos are only 10.5 years old, they can not become Boy Scouts yet.  Without their AOL they will have to either be 11 years old, or finished with 5th grade.

I would not have them wait to become Scouts until they turn 11.  By that time they might very well have found something else to do.

Where they go depends on how long until they turn 11. 

If they will both be 11 by December then they can crossover with your Webelos den.  They can either meet with your den, the other den, or both.

If they will turn 11 after that, then I would put them with the 4th grade Webelos.

Basically, you want them to earn their Bobcat, visit some Boy Scout Troops, learn some Scouting skills, go camping if possible, maybe earn an activity badge or 2 or 3, and have FUN.  So which ever Webelos den is doing those things is where they should be.  Nothing wrong with meeting with both dens, depending on what the den is doing, to make the most of their time with the Pack.  This would require some coordination between the leaders for both dens and the parents of the 2 boys.

Then, when they are old enough, they can pick a Troop and Crossover with all the ceremony! 

lilpawz
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I think what Nutz said is the best plan for you all. You don't want to lose them and we all know the older the boy, the less interest there is for scouting. Its hard to come across a 5th grader who wants to join if he was never in it as a younger scout. Good luck!!!!

Tyler age 3                                                 Brenden age 13

partiesbyjan
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM

The way our group is doing it is this.  The boy is webleos II.  He is working closely with Webleos I leader to get badge and bobcat complete.  They told him Arrow of Light was possible but would take a great deal of personal time to catch up.  Since our Webleos I&II are so close he can attend both meetings to go at the accelerated pace. 

I would never turn a child away because they will lose interest.  That is a hard age to get boys from and also they maybe joining in case you have a fun camp like we do for WEbleos II.

Good luck

3cuties4me
by Group Owner on Sep. 30, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Update. Each of the "new" boys attended a meeting (two separate ones).

The first boy's mother thought I was "intimidating" and "unrealistic" and said they would either meet with the Webelos 1 or form a 2nd Webelos 2 den because her son is stressed out enough with the tons of schoolwork and doesn't need me, as a scout leader, making the stress worse. Her son had previous scout experience and was in a dysfunctional troop and he really didn't have much to catch up on according to her. I felt bad but in looking back I don't see where I was being intimidating or unrealistic when I told her the plan for my group for the year. She was also upset that my den wasn't participating in the district-wide fall encampment, the popcorn sales this past Saturday (nobody notified us of the date until last Wednesday and we had a field trip scheduled that had been on the books over a month), or the local pro basketball game in November. I encouraged her to participate in as much as she wanted to but let her know that my den voted on not attending the district camp-outs because they're too crowded and unfortunately, poorly run and that we may have some members of the den attending the basketball game but *my* family wouldn't because of cost. I think she was just looking for an argument.

The second boy came to last week's meeting and his dad thought exactly the opposite. He said he would work with his son and they would try to catch him up to where he could at least get the Webelos rank by December and they would continue with den meetings. We had a field trip to a local state park last week to work on our naturalist pin and they went with us and seemed to really enjoy it. They plan to continue meeting with my little den.  I may talk to his dad and see about assigning a certain pin every couple of weeks to see if he wants to try to sort of "catch up" that way.

~Karen, loving wife to David and proud mama of Ryan, Megan & Braden

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted. They seem not to notice us, hovering, averting our eyes, and they seldom offer thanks, but what we do for them is never wasted." 

~ Garrison Keillor

Webelos 1 Den Leader/Assistant Cubmaster ~ Cub Scout Pack 38

Leader ~ Brownie Troop 35

Pukalani79
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM

My husband and I are Webelos leaders.  We have a similiar situation.  What we have decided to do with our older boys is to have them join the Webelos 1's and work towards their Arrow of Light badges.  They need to get their Webelos badge but even if they can't finish everything, there is a lot they can do on their own, if their parents are willing.  Our den is a bit flaky, so we've actually decided to have our son graduate a bit early (in May rather than waiting for our B&G next Feb.)  By April, he will have finished   the Traveler, Scholar, Aquanaut, Sportsman, Handyman, Family Member and Craftsman badges on his own time and the rest with the den.  He's still learning, he's just having to put in the extra time to do so.  You might offer that to your boys.

I just noticed how old this post is.  Oh well, it's out there if anyone else is in the same situation.

DDDaysh
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

This is interesting and a problem I had not considered before.  Our pack only has 1 Web 1 boy this year, and all our Web 2 boys are getting their Aarows of Light tonight, and joining the boyscout pack as of March 1st.  I'm not sure what we'd do if we had a boy want to join up next month.  

As it is, we're not quite sure what to do with our single Web 1 boy for next year.  We had two other Web 1 boys earlier in the year, but they dropped.  Having a 1 person Den would be a bit boring.  We have quite a few boys that will cross over from Bears to Web 1's in May, so we've thought about having him just meet with their Den next year, but some of what they'd be doing would be a duplicate for him.  The other problem is, even if we get some new 5th graders at round up, they'd still basically be where the Web 1 boys are.  

I don't think we've made a final decision yet.  What would you guys suggest?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN