Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Webelos 2 or Boy Scouts

Posted by   + Show Post

Our school just had a very successful round-up. I was notified yesterday that 2 boys signed up for Webelos 2.

I would normally welcome all new Scouts with open arms but my Webelos 2 den (the only one at our school) is very small with only 5 boys. All of these boys are within 2 requirments of earning their Arrow of Light and moving on to Boy Scouts. They only have 3 activity pins left to earn to have all 20 and they'll be finished one of those before this month is over. We fully intend to be out of Cub Scouts by December.

That said, there is no way I can catch these 2 new boys up to where they need to be just to earn their Webelos badge, much less their Arrow of Light.

Would it be wrong to recommend that since they're both in the 5th grade and 10.5 years old that they just go straight to Boy Scouting? If it is would it be wrong to suggest they join the Webelos 1?

I don't mind at all if they attend my den meetings; I just don't plan on starting over at the Bobcat Trail at this point. I guess they could conceivably earn their Webelos badge if they busted butt at home doing the Bobcat Trail and the other Webelos badge requirements.

~Karen

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted. They seem not to notice us, hovering, averting our eyes, and they seldom offer thanks, but what we do for them is never wasted."   ~ Garrison Keillor

by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 8:05 AM
Replies (11-12):
nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I take it that the 4th grade Webelos has been meeting with the 5th grade den all year? Has he earned his Webelos rank award?

What to do with him next year depends on a few things - What requirements does he still have to finish for his AOL? How old is he? When will he turn 10.5 years old? What does the Webelos and his family want?

If the 4th grade Webelos next year can work, first, on some of the things that your lone Webelos still needs, that might help get him to AOL. It will not really impact the program for the new Webelos (4 or 5 grade) as there is no set order on what is earned when, except the requirements needed for Webelos rank need to be done before AOL can be awarded. The lone Webelos can help (denner-great leadership experience) the new Webelos work on their Webelos rank requirements. He can also work independently toward AOL with the 4th grade den leader approving his work.

If he works on his own, and with the new Webelos, your lone Webelos should be able to stay active in the Webelos program, and earn his AOL.

The big factor would be when he would choose to cross to Boy Scouts.

He can stay until next year's AOL/Crossover Pack meeting.

He can cross to Boy Scouts as soon as he turns 10.5.

He can stay, and work with the new Webelos, until the end of 5th grade, and then, along with any new 5th grade Webelos, cross to Boy Scouts.

Take a look at things, and then sit down with the Webelos and his family and talk to them about what they would like to do.

Quoting DDDaysh:

This is interesting and a problem I had not considered before.  Our pack only has 1 Web 1 boy this year, and all our Web 2 boys are getting their Aarows of Light tonight, and joining the boyscout pack as of March 1st.  I'm not sure what we'd do if we had a boy want to join up next month.  

As it is, we're not quite sure what to do with our single Web 1 boy for next year.  We had two other Web 1 boys earlier in the year, but they dropped.  Having a 1 person Den would be a bit boring.  We have quite a few boys that will cross over from Bears to Web 1's in May, so we've thought about having him just meet with their Den next year, but some of what they'd be doing would be a duplicate for him.  The other problem is, even if we get some new 5th graders at round up, they'd still basically be where the Web 1 boys are.  

I don't think we've made a final decision yet.  What would you guys suggest?  

DDDaysh
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Thanks for going through all the different options.  There are some questions I don't know the answer to, and wouldn't have even thought to ask.  

We actually had a Web I den that he met with until about December with two other boys.  Then both those boys AND the Web I Den Leader dropped out of Scouts.  That Den Leader was also our Cub Master, so when the Assistant Cub Master took over as Cub Master, she also took responsibility for him.  He has actually been meeting along side her Wolf Den the last month or so.  He works on different things, but since he has a brother who is a wolf, the timing of that worked out.  He's going to get his Webelos Rank tonight.  

His parents are pretty new to the pack.  I think they just joined sometime this fall so I don't think they're very familiar with scouting or have even thought that far ahead.  I'll bring up your suggestions to our new Cub Master.  I'm pretty sure we're going to need to have two 4th grade Webelos Den's next year anyway, and I know some (well, at least one) of our 4th graders next year really want to try to earn Arrow of Light in 4th grade because he simply can't wait to get to Boy Scouts and wants to cross over the second he's able.  Maybe we can group our more "eager achievers" together and that will help.  

Thanks again!  

Quoting nuts4scouts:

I take it that the 4th grade Webelos has been meeting with the 5th grade den all year? Has he earned his Webelos rank award?

What to do with him next year depends on a few things - What requirements does he still have to finish for his AOL? How old is he? When will he turn 10.5 years old? What does the Webelos and his family want?

If the 4th grade Webelos next year can work, first, on some of the things that your lone Webelos still needs, that might help get him to AOL. It will not really impact the program for the new Webelos (4 or 5 grade) as there is no set order on what is earned when, except the requirements needed for Webelos rank need to be done before AOL can be awarded. The lone Webelos can help (denner-great leadership experience) the new Webelos work on their Webelos rank requirements. He can also work independently toward AOL with the 4th grade den leader approving his work.

If he works on his own, and with the new Webelos, your lone Webelos should be able to stay active in the Webelos program, and earn his AOL.

The big factor would be when he would choose to cross to Boy Scouts.

He can stay until next year's AOL/Crossover Pack meeting.

He can cross to Boy Scouts as soon as he turns 10.5.

He can stay, and work with the new Webelos, until the end of 5th grade, and then, along with any new 5th grade Webelos, cross to Boy Scouts.

Take a look at things, and then sit down with the Webelos and his family and talk to them about what they would like to do.

Quoting DDDaysh:

This is interesting and a problem I had not considered before.  Our pack only has 1 Web 1 boy this year, and all our Web 2 boys are getting their Aarows of Light tonight, and joining the boyscout pack as of March 1st.  I'm not sure what we'd do if we had a boy want to join up next month.  

As it is, we're not quite sure what to do with our single Web 1 boy for next year.  We had two other Web 1 boys earlier in the year, but they dropped.  Having a 1 person Den would be a bit boring.  We have quite a few boys that will cross over from Bears to Web 1's in May, so we've thought about having him just meet with their Den next year, but some of what they'd be doing would be a duplicate for him.  The other problem is, even if we get some new 5th graders at round up, they'd still basically be where the Web 1 boys are.  

I don't think we've made a final decision yet.  What would you guys suggest?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN