Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think your parents relationship affected yours?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 25 Replies
  • 484 Total Views

i mean, i hear statistically people who's parents got divorced are more likely to get divorced also versus people who's parents stayed together, and i am wondering how much truth there is to it. my mom got divorced three times and is about to get married for her 4th time and i am like, there is NO way i will get a divorce. i mean, yeah it could happen but i will go through hell or high water to avoid it. i just dont want to end up like her.

so what do you think? did your parents divorce? are you divorced? what do you think on the whole thing?

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole2884
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I heard the opposite from several sources

Because those with divorced parents enter into relationships with a broader view persay they take longer to get married kinda like learning from your parents mistakes

Where as people with married parents dont have the same perspective an get married faster

Some article from premarital counseling
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My mother had been married 8 times. My father has been married 4. I learned from their mistakes.

i have been divorced once, however there were extenuating circumstances to the situation. I was emancipated at 16 and was married. I married my HS sweetheart. I left him the day I turned 18. He was an alcoholic, abusive, and cheated on me regularly in the two years we were married. The one thing he taught me is everything I never wanted in a man. I've been with current DH for 17 years, and we are still going strong.

ms-superwoman
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I think my moms relationships caused me to work harder at mine. My mom is seriously afraid of change and hates when she isn't completely in control. At the first sign of trouble she would always jet. I started out like that as a teen and as I got older, I realized what I was doing. In relationships I fight until I have exhausted every opportunity to fix the problems.

x_Starr_x
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM
my parents split when I was 2 THANK GOD. my dad remarried when I was 3 or 4 there still together and I'm about to be 29 my SM is all I've known. I got married as a teen big mistake divorced the scrum and married my first love my high school sweet heart and I've never been happier.
little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

i'm really glad to hear all of you are doing well in your relationships!

Armywifeholcomb
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM
My parents were married at ages 18&25. 6 kids and been together 43 years. My dad was Navy.
I always wanted to find a man to grow old with.
And now I'm married and we have a DS. I was almost 28& dh 35. I have 4 SDs. And DD from my exbf. I never want to divorce. In a way I am like my parents. In others, not so much.
I have a brother that has been with the same woman 13 years and has a DD that idk if they'll ever marry. I'm the only one in my family that has children with 2 different dads. I do look up to my parents though.
barneysaid
by Denise on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM
For me, it affects my relationship. My parents divorced when I was 10 and it was Hell. So much gossip and drama. I think that's why I don't want to get married. I like how my relationship is now. We both are on the same page.
Basherte
by Christina on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I have been divorced. This is my second marriage.

IF (and I will fight tooth and nail to keep this marriage) this one doesn't work out and it doens't last. It would take an extremely rich very rare man to get me down the aisle again.

I think that, for those that are divorced, if they didn't stay together because of the kids and make the house a war zone, then the kids are probably a lot better off.

Ya can't stay together just for the kids sake. Although you can stay together because you want the relationship to work out not just for yourselves but for your kids as well. 

wedding countdown

Babujai
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

My parents are still together, but they don't seem very happy.  I think their relationship really affected me early on in some of my early relationship...they were very lopsided and there was a lot of secret keeping and emotional damage...but I knew better than to actually marry any of them (and yes, they did ask).  Now that I am married I use my parents' marriage as an example of things to avoid.  My husband and I have a great relationship.  We like and love each other.

tinysmom160
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Oh yes my parents was married for 45 years and they had a great marriage and I have been married for 24 years and I have always followed there lead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)