Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think your parents relationship affected yours?

i mean, i hear statistically people who's parents got divorced are more likely to get divorced also versus people who's parents stayed together, and i am wondering how much truth there is to it. my mom got divorced three times and is about to get married for her 4th time and i am like, there is NO way i will get a divorce. i mean, yeah it could happen but i will go through hell or high water to avoid it. i just dont want to end up like her.

so what do you think? did your parents divorce? are you divorced? what do you think on the whole thing?

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Replies (21-25):
baileymarie723
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I have only been married for a little over a year, and it is my first and only. My parents are divorced. My dad got remarried 17 years ago to the woman he cheated on my mom with. I think I learned what not to do in a marriage from them more than anything.
baileymarie723
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Sounds a lot like me when I was as a teen. My daughter's "sperm donor" and I were on and off ALL the time in high school because I would break it off just for a little fight. I grew out of that though. I did break it off with him permanently when I found out he was cheating on me with multiple women while I was pregnant. I thought that was a valid reason to leave, lol.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I think my moms relationships caused me to work harder at mine. My mom is seriously afraid of change and hates when she isn't completely in control. At the first sign of trouble she would always jet. I started out like that as a teen and as I got older, I realized what I was doing. In relationships I fight until I have exhausted every opportunity to fix the problems.

Marimaru
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

My parents are divorced.  My husbands parents did not divorce, but my father in law did remarry after my mother in law passed away.

We're not on the road to divorce, and in fact were together for 5 years before we even got engaged to be really, really sure about eachother.

Basherte
by Christina on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM

My parents were married until death did them part. They were in love with each other the entire time.

I have been divorced and remarried. This is my second marriage.

My ex husband's parents were divorced. It tore his dad up. I knew his dad through my dad as they both worked together. My dad liked his dad. His dad was unable to deal with my father's death. I found this out when my ex's dad was in the hospital dying. He told me. He was a sweet dear man.

My husband's parents are divorced. His father has since remarried ( I think twice... this one will work out though) The woman he is currently married to is awesome!

His mom is dealing with things right now. She is leaving her boyfriend (errr. kicking him out of the da house). I am really hoping that she does get her life together. She is working really hard at doing that right now. I love her to pieces.

Though my husband and I were raised completely differently, we both agree on how we wish to raise our family, and we agree on how we wish our lives to be.

CafeMom Tickers
misslady80013
by New Girl on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Yes, I do believe my parents' relationship has affected me in my own.  My parents never lived together or married to each other and I am the only child they have together.  Since my mother was a selfish and evil person, she abused me.  She finally told me it was because I look so much like my father.  In my relationships, I am unable to fully connect because I cannot fully open up to them.  I am afraid of being hurt so they can only get so far with me.  It is not right when the person who gave you life tries to kill you.  if the person who is supposed to love and protect me is the one trying to hurt me, I do not give anyone else a chance to do the same or worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN