Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my vent of the day. Stupid FIL...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 190 Total Views

My FIL has been paying our phone bills for us (we're on his plan) while we were going to school. Bryan took the semester off at the beginning of January and we asked him then if he wanted us to start paying it again. he said no.

yesterday he slapped me with a bill for the last three months equalling about $200. I am so ticked. Not because he wants us to pay it, because obviously that is our responsibility, but because i have just paid off all our debt, rearranged our budget, increased our payment plans with some people, like the student loan because we had the extra money and i want to pay it off ASAP, as well as my car payments. And i asked him TWO FLIPPING MONTHS ago if he wanted us to pay this, so i could put it into our budget plan and he said no, and now SUPRISE! YOU'RE EFFING SCREWED! 

So i have no clue where i am going to come up with this money because i've stretched us so tight so i can get things paid the hell off and i really want to tell him to go to hell and shut the damn phones off if he's going to be so stupid. so yeah. i actually thought for a second there that all the stress of money had been alleviated for a second, but who the eff was i kidding, life if shitty all the time... grr..

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barneysaid
by Denise on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM

sorry to hear that... why don't you guys get your own phone plan? Like those prepaid ones. I know how it is... my hubby has a family share plan for the both of us and before I would go over my minutes. It was a pain in the ass!! I wanted to call and have my line shut off....because it was better than hearing shit from hubby. Ugh! Now we have unlimited. 

little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM
We might. But we did it this way in the first place because it was way cheaper.

Quoting barneysaid:

sorry to hear that... why don't you guys get your own phone plan? Like those prepaid ones. I know how it is... my hubby has a family share plan for the both of us and before I would go over my minutes. It was a pain in the ass!! I wanted to call and have my line shut off....because it was better than hearing shit from hubby. Ugh! Now we have unlimited. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
loveTHEviking
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Hubby & I have prepaid plans w/ Virgin Mobile. We pay $70 a month for both our phones. We each get 30 anytime minutes, unlimited text & data & internet. The only thing w/ Virgin is you have to buy your phone outright, no discount b/c of a certain plan you choose. I think it's worth it though.

KW1280
by KEY on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Walmart
My daughter got a walmart prepaid phone and can afford it with her mcdonalds paycheck
little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Yeah but she doesn't have two kids and a house. Lol

The bill we have right now is $40 each.

I'm not saying we can't afford the bill, I'm saying since we weren't going to have to worry about it, I took that $80 a month and put it towards other stuff that needed to be paid. I set 6 month goals to get things paid off and it was a lot of work. Plus I paid all of these things for March already and now I have to come up with January and February, and March's phone bill out of nowhere. I can of course call the loan center/bank/etc and lower the payments back down to compensate for the phone bill for next month.

But my 6 month plan will be destroyed and I'll have to go back and do the work ALL over again to figure out when things will be paid off so we can do x,y,z and move our lives forward. If he would have told me in January we had to pay it, like I asked him to, I could have incorporated that bill in the plan too and figured it all out without having to do twice the work.

It was just inconsiderate of him is all. That's the only reason I'm mad.

Quoting KW1280:

Walmart

My daughter got a walmart prepaid phone and can afford it with her mcdonalds paycheck

EmmaZate
by Emma on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM

He should have told you that he was going to expect you to pay it. What a douche! The more I hear about your FIL the more I dislike the man! 

KW1280
by KEY on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I truly understand. I have a plan and if my hubby wants a happy life he best stick with it (hubby likes to spend money)
Do you think hubby can tlk to him work out a payment plan and just disconnect service.

Quoting little.worthen:

Yeah but she doesn't have two kids and a house. Lol

The bill we have right now is $40 each.

I'm not saying we can't afford the bill, I'm saying since we weren't going to have to worry about it, I took that $80 a month and put it towards other stuff that needed to be paid. I set 6 month goals to get things paid off and it was a lot of work. Plus I paid all of these things for March already and now I have to come up with January and February, and March's phone bill out of nowhere. I can of course call the loan center/bank/etc and lower the payments back down to compensate for the phone bill for next month.

But my 6 month plan will be destroyed and I'll have to go back and do the work ALL over again to figure out when things will be paid off so we can do x,y,z and move our lives forward. If he would have told me in January we had to pay it, like I asked him to, I could have incorporated that bill in the plan too and figured it all out without having to do twice the work.

It was just inconsiderate of him is all. That's the only reason I'm mad.

Quoting KW1280:

Walmart

AngryBob
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

so don't pay the bill. my dad pulled a similar stunt. tell him too bad, so sad. he paid the bill, he told you not to worry about it. remind him of what he said, and don't agree to pay a dime. that's messed up of him to do.

Basherte
by Christina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM

hugs

Good luck figuring this out. 

I think I would get my own plans. Check out what it would cost for prepaid, and what it would cost for a family plan with just the two of you on it. Then pick whichever is cheaper.

wedding countdown

victoriangavin
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM
T-mobile has a prepaid plan thats $50 a month unlimited everything

Quoting loveTHEviking:

Hubby & I have prepaid plans w/ Virgin Mobile. We pay $70 a month for both our phones. We each get 30 anytime minutes, unlimited text & data & internet. The only thing w/ Virgin is you have to buy your phone outright, no discount b/c of a certain plan you choose. I think it's worth it though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)