Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think husbands

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 271 Total Views
Or wives should go to jail for "family abandonment" just like moms and dads go to jail for child abandonment?

I was just thinking about families who have one or the other spouse take off and basically start a new life while the other spouse takes on the kids, and all the bills, and etc.

Do you think they should serve jail time for something like that?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmmaZate
by Emma on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM
That's an interesting thought. Technically, they are abandoning their children's.... And if it could happen to husbands, it could happen to wives. I think if there were a law like that there would have to be undeniable proof that they took off, because sometimes the other spouse hides the children. I would t want someone to be punished for their children being hidden from them. They are already suffering enough, IMO
little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Well most states have kidnapping charges for thing like that so if they went to the police and a report was filed they couldn't get into trouble.

I say if a husband/wife is gone more than 15 days, they get arrested

Quoting EmmaZate:

That's an interesting thought. Technically, they are abandoning their children's.... And if it could happen to husbands, it could happen to wives. I think if there were a law like that there would have to be undeniable proof that they took off, because sometimes the other spouse hides the children. I would t want someone to be punished for their children being hidden from them. They are already suffering enough, IMO
EmmaZate
by Emma on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Well see in my case, it wasn't considered kidnapping, because we had joint custody. If there is no custody agreement it's the same thing... Either parent can snatch them and there is NOTHING that can be done. I didn't see my daughter for two full years and then some... Of course, there is undeniable proof that he hid her from me, but that's besides the point.

Quoting little.worthen:

Well most states have kidnapping charges for thing like that so if they went to the police and a report was filed they couldn't get into trouble.

Quoting EmmaZate:

MrsImperfect
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM
No. It opens up other scenarios. Like prison/jail time or death. You cant make someone be responsible. My mother abandoned our family. Good thing she did cause she ended up being committed for a few years shortly after.
little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Well for me, we had no custody agreement and if I would have left for Arizona without establishing one first, I would have gone to jail.

Then even after we had one I had to get written permission from him to leave

Quoting EmmaZate:

Well see in my case, it wasn't considered kidnapping, because we had joint custody. If there is no custody agreement it's the same thing... Either parent can snatch them and there is NOTHING that can be done. I didn't see my daughter for two full years and then some... Of course, there is undeniable proof that he hid her from me, but that's besides the point.

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting EmmaZate:

little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Well I wish you could (=

Quoting MrsImperfect:

No. It opens up other scenarios. Like prison/jail time or death. You cant make someone be responsible. My mother abandoned our family. Good thing she did cause she ended up being committed for a few years shortly after.
MrsImperfect
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I know! Its not fair at all. Just because you dont want to do it or cant handle it anymore doesn't mean your family should suffer. I absolutely agree! Lol

Quoting little.worthen:

Well I wish you could (=

Quoting MrsImperfect:

MJP76
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I think it would depend on the circumstance, but probably mostly no. I mean that would mean that everyone who left their spouse and wated a divorce would have to do jail time.

little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Well there could be some exceptions. Like if they filed for separation then obviously that's different.

Quoting MJP76:

I think it would depend on the circumstance, but probably mostly no. I mean that would mean that everyone who left their spouse and wated a divorce would have to do jail time.

MJP76
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM

There would have to be a slew of "exceptions" 

I "abandoned" my first husband the day I turned 18. He was an alcoholic and did nothing but beat me and cheat on me for the two years we were together. I up and disappeared for two years. Did I deserve jail time? Or should I have feared jail time, because I knew for a whole year that I was going to leave him, so that would have been "premeditated abandonment" 

hmmm, jail time? Death? Jail time? Death?

Quoting little.worthen:

Well there could be some exceptions. Like if they filed for separation then obviously that's different.

Quoting MJP76:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN