Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Or wives should go to jail for "family abandonment" just like moms and dads go to jail for child abandonment?

I was just thinking about families who have one or the other spouse take off and basically start a new life while the other spouse takes on the kids, and all the bills, and etc.

Do you think they should serve jail time for something like that?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Replies (11-15):
little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah you make a really good point. I guess it would get too complicated to actually happen but the though behind it is nice (IMO) (=

Quoting MJP76:

There would have to be a slew of "exceptions" 

I "abandoned" my first husband the day I turned 18. He was an alcoholic and did nothing but beat me and cheat on me for the two years we were together. I up and disappeared for two years. Did I deserve jail time? Or should I have feared jail time, because I knew for a whole year that I was going to leave him, so that would have been "premeditated abandonment" 

hmmm, jail time? Death? Jail time? Death?

Quoting little.worthen:

Well there could be some exceptions. Like if they filed for separation then obviously that's different.

Quoting MJP76:

I think it would depend on the circumstance, but probably mostly no. I mean that would mean that everyone who left their spouse and wated a divorce would have to do jail time.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I agree, that it's a great subject to pose. :)

Quoting little.worthen:

Yeah you make a really good point. I guess it would get too complicated to actually happen but the though behind it is nice (IMO) (=

Quoting MJP76:

I "abandoned" my first husband the day I turned 18. He was an alcoholic and did nothing but beat me and cheat on me for the two years we were together. I up and disappeared for two years. Did I deserve jail time? Or should I have feared jail time, because I knew for a whole year that I was going to leave him, so that would have been "premeditated abandonment" 

Quoting little.worthen:

Well there could be some exceptions. Like if they filed for separation then obviously that's different.

Quoting MJP76:

I think it would depend on the circumstance, but probably mostly no. I mean that would mean that everyone who left their spouse and wated a divorce would have to do jail time.

Basherte
by Christina on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM

There are too many women out there that are already afraid enough to leave an abusive spouse/boyfriend/SO. I think that having this in place would just keep them there for longer. 

Kind of why I don't like the pfa's. Even though I know they need documentation, and I understand that the person being forbidden to be somewhere has to know where they are forbidden to be. I don't like that they get the address of the one they are forbidden to be near. For a lot of women, the person abusing them having their address just makes things worse. 

To file an order of separation, for some, wouldn't be a good idea.  This (the abandonment thing) would just put a lot of women in jail who are trying to get away from abuse people, IMO. 

I see where you are going with this, but the first thing that popped into my mind is an old neighbor of mine who finally had the courage to leave her husband. Then when taking her kids to his(her ex) mom's house....he shot and killed her and himself. (in the hallway on the second floor) She had had to use the bathroom and thought she would be safe enough because his mother was there, and so was their child. 

Quoting MJP76:

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting MJP76:

CafeMom Tickers
AthenaGrace
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I like the idea of if, but I'm not sure exactly what the boundaries would be...I don't know that the laws would be very successful either. Interesting to think about though.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I'm not sure but this may not be exactly on topic but I'm surprised that men can vanish from  child's life and then pop up and get visiatation. My friend is going through this right now, the father has not seen her 7 year old since she was 6 months and was granted visitation. Why because he checked in like every 6 months....weird and I don't agree with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)