Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ahhhh my dd is driving me crazy!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 95 Total Views
Today at school she would not listen for anything. She had her clipped moved 3 times down to blue which equaled a phone call home. Then to too it off her teacher did a practice benchmark test in reading and she refused to attempt to sound out words she didn't know and basically tested on the same level she was in January ( which was right on target ). Her teacher also informed me if she doesn't score atleast a 16 in may for te actually benchmark reason test she will be repeating the 1 st grade!!! Dd is super smart but stubborn an lazy when she doesn't want to do something. She knows how to read she knows how to sound out words she doesn't know but she refuses to do it so someone will just tell her. Ahhhh. Idk what to do. Tonight I had her pick out a book and sit down and read it by her self and sound out the words. When she read it to me right before bed she only stumbled with 2 or 3 words but sounded them out herself and it them right. Then she wanted to read another so she went and got one and then started doin her I can't do it I don't know it crap but not trying ahhhh I don't know what to do. Idk if she is bored or selfcontious or what. Any advice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
seraphimsong
by Ashley on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM

That's so weird. Is she shy? I don't understand why she would refuse to sound it out. Maybe try explaining to her how important it is that she try her best. 

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it! on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
No she isn't shy at all in fact she dances competatively!! I did we had a long talk today she is also not allowed to watch tv until she has a satisfying score and if she doesn't do good on her retest tomorrow she won't be doing anything this weekend

Quoting seraphimsong:

That's so weird. Is she shy? I don't understand why she would refuse to sound it out. Maybe try explaining to her how important it is that she try her best. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Christina on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Good luck. I have no experience here with this at all.

*hugs*

CafeMom Tickers
Armywifeholcomb
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Sounds like my 6y/o DD...
I try to get her to do it but she won't try.
Then a few minutes later she's reading something perfectly and I ask her if she read it. "No"
"Then how do you know that's what it says?"
"Idk..."
Errrrr yeah, she read it...
Mine gets impatient and tries to rush with whatever word comes to mind after the first letter...than wants to give up if she doesn't get it the first try...
Stubborn kids.... I know the feeling!
Good luck! Maybe she will realize that if she doesn't Try then she will have to redo 1st grade while all the rest of the class is moving up...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)