Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The problem with the world.

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, now that I have your attention. I don't think that this is the whole problem with the world. This is just part of the problem.

I think there are too many parents out there that wish to be their child's best friend, instead of being their parent.

Why do people want to be their child's friend? I want my son to like me, yes. But I also know that being his mom is more important than being his friend. I can be tough on him and still show him that I am doing that out of love. That I worry about him and want him to know right from wrong so that when I am no longer right there for him, cause you can't be there for them 24/7 (especially when they are an adult), that I know he will do the right thing no matter what happens. 

I want my son to know that even when he does something wrong, that I will love him. No matter what. That doesn't mean that he gets away with what he has done without punishment.

Am I wrong? I want to be my son's mother. A person that he knows will love him no matter what. That when something happens all he has to do is come to me and together we can get through it. I also want him to have friends his own age. Grow up and fall in love. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
la_bella_vita
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I agree

Basherte
by Christina on May. 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

:)

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I agree

CafeMom Tickers
Shelly126
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I couldn't agree more! I have twin 28 month old boys and I want them to know I love them more than anything in the world and that I would never turn my back on them BUT they must understand right from wrong, how decisions they make can effect not only their lives but innocent people as well. They should always think things through and hopefully come to me if they need help or to tak about something.
I didn't become freinds with my mom until I was in my 20's and "saw" with my own eyes the benefits I got from her unconditional love, support AND discipline. I was never able to get away with anything and my mom always "talked" to me, we sat for dinner as a family and while some of my freinds were struggling in their 20's I was starting a great career and still with my high school sweetheart whom I then married and together we built a wonderful life. He had the same upbringing and we are doing the same with our boys, kids need rules, discipline, boundaries, love, support and encouragement.
Basherte
by Christina on May. 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Quoting Shelly126:

I couldn't agree more! I have twin 28 month old boys and I want them to know I love them more than anything in the world and that I would never turn my back on them BUT they must understand right from wrong, how decisions they make can effect not only their lives but innocent people as well. They should always think things through and hopefully come to me if they need help or to tak about something.
I didn't become freinds with my mom until I was in my 20's and "saw" with my own eyes the benefits I got from her unconditional love, support AND discipline. I was never able to get away with anything and my mom always "talked" to me, we sat for dinner as a family and while some of my freinds were struggling in their 20's I was starting a great career and still with my high school sweetheart whom I then married and together we built a wonderful life. He had the same upbringing and we are doing the same with our boys, kids need rules, discipline, boundaries, love, support and encouragement.

They also need respect, understanding as well. We were kids once, we should never forget that. Being a teen is hard. Even if you have a good life. It's still hard. I agree with you on everything you said, I just wanted to add that little bit up there ^. *giggles*

CafeMom Tickers
seraphimsong
by Ashley on May. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I agree. Too many parents seem scared of their kids these days. Hello! You are the parent. 

Basherte
by Christina on May. 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Quoting seraphimsong:

I agree. Too many parents seem scared of their kids these days. Hello! You are the parent. 

Right. Almost like they are afraid they will hurt the child. 

Either they are scared of them or they seem to abuse them. There isn't too many that are in the middle there.

It's so sad. To understand respect, a child must first see what respect is. Which is the way the adults that are close to them treat each other. Then to understand how to give respect, they must first receive respect. I respect my son and knock on his door before I enter. Right now, he knows that if my bedroom door is open he's allowed in and if it's closed he doesn't go into the room. 

My son is only 4 and autistic. He also waits by the fridge door while I'm getting something out and then closes it when I'm done. Just like I do for him when he opens the fridge door. 

CafeMom Tickers
Shelly126
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Quoting Basherte:

i completely agree, I believe as a family we should all have respect and understanding for one another, if everyone respects one another and has understanding for each other, we can sit down and talk things out instead of fight and yell.
Basherte
by Christina on May. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Shelly126:

Quoting Basherte:

i completely agree, I believe as a family we should all have respect and understanding for one another, if everyone respects one another and has understanding for each other, we can sit down and talk things out instead of fight and yell.

Plus, I think that the child will think twice before doing something that could possibly be dangerous because the child trusts and respects his/her parents.  Ya know, the "they never lied to me before , why would they lie to me now." thing

CafeMom Tickers
mamabear0791
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Your son reminds me of my niece - she was 4 foot at age 4, and by age 7, she was taller than I am  (I'm also 5'4'') She is now done growing at 6'1.

Basherte
by Christina on May. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Quoting mamabear0791:

Your son reminds me of my niece - she was 4 foot at age 4, and by age 7, she was taller than I am  (I'm also 5'4'') She is now done growing at 6'1.

His father is 6'2". 

My son is strong, solid. He has a tiny belly, but I'm not worried about that. He jumps on his indoor trampoline every day almost all day. 

:)

I'm pretty sure he will be at least 6'2" tall if not taller. 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN