Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doing the right thing?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 162 Total Views

i try to be as honest as i can in life. there are a few fibs here and there that i have told because i dont think its really going to hurt anyone.

let me tell you about a story from last year first.

my MIL, SIL, and I were all riding in the car together. SIL lives in AF. MIL lives in PG. AF and PG are connected to each other. SIL lives just on the other side of the PG border so technically AF.. you with me?
Okay so SIL says to MIL, "I wish i could go to your rec center in PG, its so much better than AF's. why did i have to pick that side of the street?" so I say, "Well why dont you just use your moms address and go to the PG one then? you practiacally live in the city and you do all your shopping/visiting here anyway." MIL looks at me and says, "no, she shouldnt do that. it's dishonest. how could you suggest something like that and feel right about it?"

fast forward to this spring...

MIL and FIL have a ditch that runs through their property. they own the ditch but not the rights to the water thats in it. the water runs for miles down a hill through a bunch of yards and belongs to the person at the bottom. it's in their deed. MIL and FIL decide to redo their backyard and reroute the water without the owners permission OR paying the canal company the fees that they would have to pay if they did ask permission and it was granted.

I say to them, "you know, rerouting this ditch water without permission is basically stealing. you didnt pay the fees or anything. i think you should call the canal company and sort this out."

MIL response: "we are NOT doing anything wrong. we have every right to reroute that water!"

my response to her: "well then lets call the canal company just in case. since you have every right to it, it wont be a problem at all and wont stop you from finishing it."

MIL: "NO! we will NOT be calling the canal company and i expect you to keep your mouth shut. we have every right to that water. the canal company hasnt come out here even one time in the last 20 years to maintain that water! we're entitled to it!"

ME: "just because they havent come out here and you FEEL like you have the right to it doesnt mean you do. isnt that dishonest? arent you just avoiding paying fees and getting permission?"

MIL: "we arent having this conversation. nobody is going to call the canal company and if you even think about it you can pack up and get out."

Realistically,  i could care less. its not a big deal to me. they are in no way obstructing the flow of the water, they are just rerouting it. the point is the principal of the matter. how can you sit there and make me feel like a POS less than a year ago for something that is not a big deal and then turn around and do something much worse, but still not that bad and say that its no big deal??

Double Standard anyone? i dont know what to do now. part of me wants to call as a neighbor anonymously just to spite her. but thats petty. i'm just pissed at her...

by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
barneysaid
by Denise on Jun. 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Oh wow! Your mil is something else....huh? Does your husband say anything? I'm sure if you call, she will know it was you...

little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Jun. 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM

yeah. shes apparently perfect and correct in all aspects of everything even if they are contradictory. my husband is on the fence as to whether its worth calling on or not but is backing me up by not helping them at all with the project. (which is a huge deal because he is the one that was going to get them the rocks, pond liner, bobcat, and everything else for free plus he is huge and was going to move the rocks.. now they have to purchase all of these things on their own)

Quoting barneysaid:

Oh wow! Your mil is something else....huh? Does your husband say anything? I'm sure if you call, she will know it was you...

barneysaid
by Denise on Jun. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM

i get it. my mil is the biggest 2faced person on the face of this earth. honestly, i can't stand her!! do they make you feel that they can power trip on you guys because you live on their property?

Quoting little.worthen:

yeah. shes apparently perfect and correct in all aspects of everything even if they are contradictory. my husband is on the fence as to whether its worth calling on or not but is backing me up by not helping them at all with the project. (which is a huge deal because he is the one that was going to get them the rocks, pond liner, bobcat, and everything else for free plus he is huge and was going to move the rocks.. now they have to purchase all of these things on their own)

Quoting barneysaid:

little.worthen
by Tessie - Owner on Jun. 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM

oh of course! doesnt that come wit h the territory?

i cant wait to move but Bryan has to finish school )= at least another year...

Quoting barneysaid:

i get it. my mil is the biggest 2faced person on the face of this earth. honestly, i can't stand her!! do they make you feel that they can power trip on you guys because you live on their property?

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting barneysaid:

barneysaid
by Denise on Jun. 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

a year will go fast! =) i know i see my mil everyday and i wish she lived some where else! my life would be so much better....

Quoting little.worthen:

oh of course! doesnt that come wit h the territory?

i cant wait to move but Bryan has to finish school )= at least another year...

Quoting barneysaid:

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting barneysaid:

seraphimsong
by Ashley on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Wth? Seriously!?! What they are doing is worse than what you suggested.... Wow....
torream
by Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 3:48 AM

MILs are great, arent they? I did such a happy joyous dance when mine moved over an hour away lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)