Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

calling all homeschooling moms

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 55 Replies
  • 837 Total Views

what made you decide to homeschool?...and describe a day in the life of homeschool session...

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadenn766
by Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

BUMP!

christi34
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I was thinking about homeschooling my boys. I even tried it for two weeks. I knew it wasn't going to work when all they wanted to do was sleep in and then get on the Xbox.

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM

awww, have you thought about doing it again?

Quoting christi34:

I was thinking about homeschooling my boys. I even tried it for two weeks. I knew it wasn't going to work when all they wanted to do was sleep in and then get on the Xbox.

christi34
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Yeah but my answer is NO!!! i do not have the patience that it takes to actually teach my children. Plus their dad already threatened to take me back to court if I do try to homeschool them.

Quoting shadenn766:

Quoting christi34:

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM

ok, i understand

Quoting christi34:

Yeah but my answer is NO!!! i do not have the patience that it takes to actually teach my children. Plus their dad already threatened to take me back to court if I do try to homeschool them.

Quoting shadenn766:

Quoting christi34:

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM

BUMP!

toomanypoodles
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I knew I could do a better job.

I'm finishing up my HS years now...My oldest is graduating and my youngest is starting her high school years in September.  3 more years!

ziff130
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I graduated as a homeschoolers and absolutely loved it. I thought I would homeschool my kids but I married an anti homeschoolers so we compromised and virtual school. :) a few things made us sure that we wanted an alternative learning experience for our children. My ds gets bored easily. The doctor suspects ADHD and the special Ed teacher thinks Sensory Processing Disorder. They both say the best thing we can do since we don't want to medicate is the one on one attention. Also, we can pursue his interests, work at his own pace, let him fidget, chew gum, roll a ball under his desk with his feet or whatever he needs to help him focus. Our dd will join him in the fall when she starts kindergarten.

A typical day?

7 am kids wake up and we eat breakfast

7:30 chores

8:30 therapies or if no therapy that day the we practice TaeKwonDo for ds and dance for dd

9 am start Phonics and Spelling (we do a subject an hour... If ds focuses and gets it done then he gets a break until the next hour. Most of the time he is finished in 20 minutes if he remains focused)

10am Math

11 am extra subject (we do an extra core subject each day so we can have Fridays free)

Noon Lunch/ break

1 pm Language Arts

2 pm science, history, art, or music

3 pm science, history, art, or music

4 pm chores

5 pm get ready to leave for TaeKwonDo, dance, or scouts

6:30 eat

7 get ready for bed

8:30 bed time

9 I start my school assignments and go until midnight

This may look like there are no breaks in the day but remember, on average, he works 20 minutes and then gets a 40 minute break.sometimes the break is shorter and sometimes longer but normally it's about 40 minutes. Oh, and ds is a 1st grader.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shadenn766
by Group Owner on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM

poodles, thats awesome...i like that first statement :i knew i could do a better job", wow talk about believing in yourself...you rock

im wasn't a homeschool mom/teacher, so i may have  a few questions for you guys...when your daughter graduates, she'll participate in a ceremony held where?, through the local school or for homeschooled students in your general area?

congratulations to the both of you

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I knew I could do a better job.

I'm finishing up my HS years now...My oldest is graduating and my youngest is starting her high school years in September.  3 more years!

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:37 AM

wonderful...you rockyou all have a pretty full day i should say...now what about field trips of any kind, and also do you ever have an aide to assist with anything?

and tell me about your graduation?...was it held at a venue just for homeschooled students or did you join in with the local schools ceremony?

Quoting ziff130:

I graduated as a homeschoolers and absolutely loved it. I thought I would homeschool my kids but I married an anti homeschoolers so we compromised and virtual school. :) a few things made us sure that we wanted an alternative learning experience for our children. My ds gets bored easily. The doctor suspects ADHD and the special Ed teacher thinks Sensory Processing Disorder. They both say the best thing we can do since we don't want to medicate is the one on one attention. Also, we can pursue his interests, work at his own pace, let him fidget, chew gum, roll a ball under his desk with his feet or whatever he needs to help him focus. Our dd will join him in the fall when she starts kindergarten.

A typical day?

7 am kids wake up and we eat breakfast

7:30 chores

8:30 therapies or if no therapy that day the we practice TaeKwonDo for ds and dance for dd

9 am start Phonics and Spelling (we do a subject an hour... If ds focuses and gets it done then he gets a break until the next hour. Most of the time he is finished in 20 minutes if he remains focused)

10am Math

11 am extra subject (we do an extra core subject each day so we can have Fridays free)

Noon Lunch/ break

1 pm Language Arts

2 pm science, history, art, or music

3 pm science, history, art, or music

4 pm chores

5 pm get ready to leave for TaeKwonDo, dance, or scouts

6:30 eat

7 get ready for bed

8:30 bed time

9 I start my school assignments and go until midnight

This may look like there are no breaks in the day but remember, on average, he works 20 minutes and then gets a 40 minute break.sometimes the break is shorter and sometimes longer but normally it's about 40 minutes. Oh, and ds is a 1st grader.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)