Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

calling all homeschooling moms

Posted by   + Show Post

what made you decide to homeschool?...and describe a day in the life of homeschool session...

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Replies (51-60):
shadenn766
by Group Owner on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:50 AM

so it seems to be working out for you and your family?...how long have you had the babysitter to assist you?, im sure thats a big help, and was a good idea as well

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

Hi! I am Annette.  I have a bit of a unique situation.  I home school my children and also work full time.  In NY it is legal to hire someone else to do 50% of the teaching, so my baby sitter helps me out.  My daughter is in second grade, my son is in K and I have a 3y/o in preschool.   When I get home from work I do school with my daughter while hubby cooks dinner and then he does school while I clean up after dinner.   We do more school on Friday afternoons since I have them  off from work.   My 5y/o is 3/4 of the way through his curriculum and read a level 2 book(second grade) the other day.  He would be so bored in public school. When we first started we lived in an inner city area and I could not see sending my children to that school.   Now we live in a much better area but in the same school district.  I

UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM

We have had the same babysitter since I had to go back to work 3 months after my(now 7y/o) was born.   She started with basic preschool with each of the kids at 2y/o.  Unfortunately it is costing us a lot of money and we are now considering public school but I HATE the idea.

Quoting shadenn766:

so it seems to be working out for you and your family?...how long have you had the babysitter to assist you?, im sure thats a big help, and was a good idea as well

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

Hi! I am Annette.  I have a bit of a unique situation.  I home school my children and also work full time.  In NY it is legal to hire someone else to do 50% of the teaching, so my baby sitter helps me out.  My daughter is in second grade, my son is in K and I have a 3y/o in preschool.   When I get home from work I do school with my daughter while hubby cooks dinner and then he does school while I clean up after dinner.   We do more school on Friday afternoons since I have them  off from work.   My 5y/o is 3/4 of the way through his curriculum and read a level 2 book(second grade) the other day.  He would be so bored in public school. When we first started we lived in an inner city area and I could not see sending my children to that school.   Now we live in a much better area but in the same school district.  I

Annette(40)Dan(hubby) Rosalynd(7/06)Jeremy(3/08) Isaac(3/10)

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:12 PM

that babysitter is a part of the family now, lol...good for you guys, and did you all decide about public school yet?

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

We have had the same babysitter since I had to go back to work 3 months after my(now 7y/o) was born.   She started with basic preschool with each of the kids at 2y/o.  Unfortunately it is costing us a lot of money and we are now considering public school but I HATE the idea.

Quoting shadenn766:

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We have not made any changes yet.  It is very much a $$ issue.  I am hoping we can hold off until my nearly 4y/o is school age and perhaps grandma will retire and be able to do the after school care.

Quoting shadenn766:

that babysitter is a part of the family now, lol...good for you guys, and did you all decide about public school yet?

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

Quoting shadenn766:

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

Annette(40)Dan(hubby) Rosalynd(7/06)Jeremy(3/08) Isaac(3/10)

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Sep. 30, 2014 at 9:20 AM

teacher

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Oct. 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

just saying hello poodles, hope you're doing well, come back and chat when you get a minute

Quoting toomanypoodles:

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Apr. 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM

bump

Donna.June
by Member on Apr. 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Dh and I have several reasons why we chose to homeschool. We both went to and graduated from public school. Of course, safety is a concern. But most of it is we don't agree with the way education is going. Texas doesn't follow common core, but there is still a lot that is skipped.

Our typical day starts at 8.
Breakfast, chores, and getting ready for the day. We don't start our lessons until noon when dd5 is napping. Otherwise, she bugs her sisters. Lol. We do math and reading Sunday-Wednesday and a different subject each day. Thursday, Friday, and every other Saturday is our weekend.

We visit the library Monday and Tuesdays. Mondays is when the kids club meets to do arts & crafts, science experiments, or build with legos. Tuesdays is storytime, except they are told in ASL, Chinese, or Spanish.
shadenn766
by Group Owner on Apr. 23, 2015 at 12:35 PM

seems like its working out pretty well for you guys...do the kids like it?, and how old are they?

Quoting Donna.June: Dh and I have several reasons why we chose to homeschool. We both went to and graduated from public school. Of course, safety is a concern. But most of it is we don't agree with the way education is going. Texas doesn't follow common core, but there is still a lot that is skipped. Our typical day starts at 8. Breakfast, chores, and getting ready for the day. We don't start our lessons until noon when dd5 is napping. Otherwise, she bugs her sisters. Lol. We do math and reading Sunday-Wednesday and a different subject each day. Thursday, Friday, and every other Saturday is our weekend. We visit the library Monday and Tuesdays. Mondays is when the kids club meets to do arts & crafts, science experiments, or build with legos. Tuesdays is storytime, except they are told in ASL, Chinese, or Spanish.

Donna.June
by Member on Apr. 23, 2015 at 2:28 PM
They like it. They are 8, 6.5., 5, 3.5, and 1.5. With one more on the way :)

Quoting shadenn766:

seems like its working out pretty well for you guys...do the kids like it?, and how old are they?

Quoting Donna.June: Dh and I have several reasons why we chose to homeschool. We both went to and graduated from public school. Of course, safety is a concern. But most of it is we don't agree with the way education is going. Texas doesn't follow common core, but there is still a lot that is skipped. Our typical day starts at 8. Breakfast, chores, and getting ready for the day. We don't start our lessons until noon when dd5 is napping. Otherwise, she bugs her sisters. Lol. We do math and reading Sunday-Wednesday and a different subject each day. Thursday, Friday, and every other Saturday is our weekend. We visit the library Monday and Tuesdays. Mondays is when the kids club meets to do arts & crafts, science experiments, or build with legos. Tuesdays is storytime, except they are told in ASL, Chinese, or Spanish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN