Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the engagement is off...who gets the ring?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 55 Replies
  • 741 Total Views
he gets it, she gets it...or back to the jewelry store?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM
5 moms liked this

It depends on who broke the engagement.  If he breaks it, keep the ring.  If she breaks it, he gets the ring back.  When I broke my engagement, I gave the ring back.

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM

o. ok

Quoting Why123:

It depends on who broke the engagement.  If he breaks it, keep the ring.  If she breaks it, he gets the ring back.  When I broke my engagement, I gave the ring back.

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM

bump

3sun1Angelgrl
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I would think just give it back to him....but some woman keep it and sell it... Or save it I wouldn't want nothing to do with it
shadenn766
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

ok

Quoting 3sun1Angelgrl:

I would think just give it back to him....but some woman keep it and sell it... Or save it I wouldn't want nothing to do with it

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM

bridegroom

Rebecka_Anne
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this
The law depends on what state you are engaged in. In NJ & DE it doesn't matter who or why the engagement was broken. The ring goes back to the man, b/c it is a gift given in exchange for the wedding. If for any reason the wedding does not happen he gets it back. However, if they do go through with the wedding then separate, the ring is hers to keep, b/c she went through w/ her end of the deal (to marry him.) Another thing is if the engagement ring is given on a holiday ie. Christmas, Valentines Day, or her birthday, and the engagement is called off, the ring is now considered a gift & she get to keep it.
BTW, my Ex is a lawyer that's how I know this info.
inmybizz
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I believe the "law" states if the man broke it off, she keeps the ring..If it's the other way around, he gets the ring back.

In the case of family heirlooms it should go back to the family(IMO).

shadenn766
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM
thanks for posting and chatting with us come hang out with us anytime:)
Quoting Rebecka_Anne:

The law depends on what state you are engaged in. In NJ & DE it doesn't matter who or why the engagement was broken. The ring goes back to the man, b/c it is a gift given in exchange for the wedding. If for any reason the wedding does not happen he gets it back. However, if they do go through with the wedding then separate, the ring is hers to keep, b/c she went through w/ her end of the deal (to marry him.) Another thing is if the engagement ring is given on a holiday ie. Christmas, Valentines Day, or her birthday, and the engagement is called off, the ring is now considered a gift & she get to keep it.
BTW, my Ex is a lawyer that's how I know this info.
shadenn766
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

ok, i want everyone to know this was a just for fun question,. some think its about me...lol

Quoting inmybizz:

I believe the "law" states if the man broke it off, she keeps the ring..If it's the other way around, he gets the ring back.

In the case of family heirlooms it should go back to the family(IMO).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)