Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beautiful Darkness Discussion Questions

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

1. The book begins with a quote from Plato: “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” What do you think this quote means? How does the quote relate to this story?
  2. At Macon’s funeral, Lena is given a small silver sparrow (p. 16). Is this gift symbolic? Why or why not?
  3. As Ethan wonders about Lena’s destiny, he comments, “There was a choice to be made, and Lena hadn’t made it. The songs never lied. At least, they hadn’t yet” (p. 23). Later, Ethan learns that he has his own destiny as well. Do you think Lena will ultimately have to Claim herself for Light or Dark? Do you believe fate will play a role in her choice?
  4. When Ethan gives Lena the mini Sharpie, he explains, “It wasn’t anything special, but I’d had it for a while now, and I was hoping it might help her find her way back to herself” (p. 39). What does Ethan mean in this statement? Can you think of an item that might represent your personality or identity in this way? Explain.
  5. Ethan and Lena are studying Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at school. How do you think the themes of that story relate to this book?
  6. When Ethan first meets Liv, he’s surprised by her lighthearted personality: “She was easy to be around, like I’d known her forever” (p.127). Later, Liv is willing to make a great personal sacrifice to help Ethan, Link, Ridley, and Lena. Have you ever met someone like Liv? Describe him or her.
  7. Marian, referencing Galileo, states, “He knew, perhaps better than anyone, that we don’t get to choose what is true. We only get to choose what we do about it” (p. 270). Explain what Marian means. How does her statement apply to the situation Ethan is facing?
  8. Ethan, Lena, and Liv often reference lines from well-known plays, novels, and songs—from Shakespeare to Pink Floyd. Do you have a favorite quotation? Explain what it means to you.
  9. At the end of the book, Lena questions what it means to “fit in” (p. 482). Do you think Lena will ever find her place in the Supernatural and Mortal worlds? Have you ever felt torn between two different groups?
  10. What do you think the future holds for Link? For Ridley? How might they adjust to their new roles?
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Rogue35
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I am reading this book now. I was surprised when I found out that the mortal Malcom was in love with was Eathans mom.
lanceandhailey
by Group Owner on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I was too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)