Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NOT TV but seriously...no mail on Saturdays??

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 113 Total Views

I'm sitting here with the morning news on and they just announced that starting August 1 there will be no more first class mail delivery by the USPS.  Seriously?  And the newscaster asked a good question...about prescriptions, checks, and other important mail that will hurt to wait two extra days.  It makes me think of the federal law that banking institutions can't be closed for two days in a row because people need access to their money.  Not sure where I'm going with that thought (give me a break, its only 5:05AM and I need more coffee) but I think the ideas are related some how!  LOL

And...this one is from me...doesn't it just make sense that by holding the mail on Saturday, the postal workers will be horribly backed up on Monday?  Won't everyone just have to work harder for several days to cover for not working one day?  The mail isn't going to stop just because the workers take a day off.  Hmmm...I'm not so sure this is the best solution to the problem.

Anyway...just wanted to rant a bit...LOL

~kendra

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I have heard about this on and off in the past couple of years.  I'm surprised that they are actually going to do it.  I know there are people that have suggested that instead of taking away Saturday take away a day like Tuesday where there is next to nothing delivered.  I don't think that is a great idea either....can you imagine always having your week split up like that.  YUCK!!! 

Sad to say but since most people are going electronic with everything the postal service is hurting.  Actually it's one of the reason that I still send my bill thru snail mail.  I have friends and family that work in the postal service I feel like I need to support them somehow.  As far as prescriptions go we as the individual will have to pay better attention I guess.  I wonder if this means that they won't be cutting as many jobs or closing as many offices and distribution centers?

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I am worried about this, but I am not surprised they went to this.   

Jim gets paid via check (in the mail) and I think this is a good reason to push for direct deposit.   It will save us all a lot of headaches! 

PinkDragonFly
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM

my motto is no news is good news...  

I look at it as it can wait till monday... 

but I am guessing it means a lot of job losses.

Sharon

come join the Revenge chat.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118222

AmyClutterbug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

There's no doubt about it that the USPS is a money pit and they have lost money for years and years.  Something needs to be done and I think this is a good compromise.  I don't think it will have as big an impact as people think.  The company I work for hauls mail and the mail moves 7 days per week.  I don't think that part will change.  Also, post offices will still be open on Saturdays so people can get mail and packages into the system so mail flow will not be interrupted that way either.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)