Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SOOOOO.... we got Netflix yesterday

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM
  • 26 Replies
  • 360 Total Views
1 mom liked this

because my youngest son was Jonesing for it and I was thinking it would be a great idea.

What sold DH was that they could use their Xbox and Wii to watch movies along with the computer.

For me, I'm going to look into watching a few TV Shows that I hadn't watched.... such as Scandal perhaps?   LOL

Also, my boys are now old enough to watch LOST so maybe I'll go back and rewatch the whole series with them and then finally see the series finale (for the first time).

So tell me....who here has Netflix and what do you use it for primarily?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RatherBeReading
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM

We have had it for years. We got rid of cable about a year and a half ago to save money. The kids use Netflix pretty much every single day...all the Disney and Nick Jr shows are on there, so they watch a lot of that. I watch some shows on there....currently watching Hart of Dixie, which is really cute. The movie selection is ok...they usually have a few good newer movies, but most of them are older. 

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I did notice that the movie selections were fewer than I expected.   It will still be good for us since we don't go to the theaters a ton. 

Quoting RatherBeReading:

We have had it for years. We got rid of cable about a year and a half ago to save money. The kids use Netflix pretty much every single day...all the Disney and Nick Jr shows are on there, so they watch a lot of that. I watch some shows on there....currently watching Hart of Dixie, which is really cute. The movie selection is ok...they usually have a few good newer movies, but most of them are older. 

RatherBeReading
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM

For that reason, we do have DVDs mailed also (to get new movies). I don't always have a vehicle, so I don't want to have to be trying to get a Redbox movie back the next day, and the library movies always seem to be scratched up.  Their customer service is great too...I think we have had 3 DVD issues in the years we have had Netflix, and it was resolved quickly and easily. If you add the movie to your queue while it is still in theaters, you can get it as soon as they release it on DVD, even thought it will tell you there is a long wait for it. 

Quoting LisaLoopner:

I did notice that the movie selections were fewer than I expected.   It will still be good for us since we don't go to the theaters a ton. 

Quoting RatherBeReading:

kary29
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM

We've never had cable (gasp).  We've used Netflix for years.  Love the tv shows - watching Till Death now - have steam-rolled through season 1 right into season 2 now.  

My favorites on Netflix have been Hot in Cleveland, Downton Abbey and the Netflix original House of Cards which is so bad it's good.  Couldn't get into the new Netflix series Hemlock Grove - too weird.  But my daughter cannot wait until Arrested Development comes back with new episodes later this month.  I think it's neat those episodes are going straight to Netflix.

As you can see, I love watching the tv series I missed, and in marathon viewings.  Also loved Hot in Cleveland and Jericho and Prison Break (bet your boys would like that one)...

There are many very good documentaries on NF.   Some of the older movies are pretty good.  Rewatched Fatal Attraction and Rainman recently.

You never saw the season finale of Lost!  I loved to death the first two seasons of Lost.

Was going straight through The BIggest Loser, was in the middle of season 7 when Netflix took it off, I called and complained.  But that's the only time that has happened to me.

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Oh good to know.... we can still have DVDs mailed?   I really need to do more investigating into this.   DS #2 approached DH with the idea of getting Netflix yesterday and before I could blink they'd signed up.    I should read more about it.    LOL

Quoting RatherBeReading:

For that reason, we do have DVDs mailed also (to get new movies). I don't always have a vehicle, so I don't want to have to be trying to get a Redbox movie back the next day, and the library movies always seem to be scratched up.  Their customer service is great too...I think we have had 3 DVD issues in the years we have had Netflix, and it was resolved quickly and easily. If you add the movie to your queue while it is still in theaters, you can get it as soon as they release it on DVD, even thought it will tell you there is a long wait for it. 

Quoting LisaLoopner:

RatherBeReading
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

It is an extra cost, but worth it to me. I think we pay $30 a month for the streaming and 2 DVDs at a time...I think we can stream on 3 devices at a time, so DH can watch at work while  the kids watch on the TV and I watch on my tablet at the same time. I love it, lol. 

Quoting LisaLoopner:

Oh good to know.... we can still have DVDs mailed?   I really need to do more investigating into this.   DS #2 approached DH with the idea of getting Netflix yesterday and before I could blink they'd signed up.    I should read more about it.    LOL

Quoting RatherBeReading:

Quoting LisaLoopner:

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I might give Downton Abbey a go if I find time to watch it.   I'm definitely intrigued.

My youngest son saw a documentary on Stan Lee that he wanted to watch.   I think it's cool that it opens up stuff like that for my kids.

I never saw the very last episode of LOST because I had DVRd it, but someone completely spoiled it for me on Facebook.  I was really devastated over it and just couldn't bring myself to watch it, then it got pushed off my DVR.    

What a bummer that they took something off when you were in the middle of watching it.   That would be annoying.

Quoting kary29:

We've never had cable (gasp).  We've used Netflix for years.  Love the tv shows - watching Till Death now - have steam-rolled through season 1 right into season 2 now.  

My favorites on Netflix have been Hot in Cleveland, Downton Abbey and the Netflix original House of Cards which is so bad it's good.  Couldn't get into the new Netflix series Hemlock Grove - too weird.  But my daughter cannot wait until Arrested Development comes back with new episodes later this month.  I think it's neat those episodes are going straight to Netflix.

As you can see, I love watching the tv series I missed, and in marathon viewings.  Also loved Hot in Cleveland and Jericho and Prison Break (bet your boys would like that one)...

There are many very good documentaries on NF.   Some of the older movies are pretty good.  Rewatched Fatal Attraction and Rainman recently.

You never saw the season finale of Lost!  I loved to death the first two seasons of Lost.

Was going straight through The BIggest Loser, was in the middle of season 7 when Netflix took it off, I called and complained.  But that's the only time that has happened to me.

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on May. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM

My son really wants us to get Netflix so I told him when he goes off to college we will get it.  Actually I have been thinking I need to get it for his senior year so he won't think everything awesome happened after he went off to college.

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM

laughing

Yeah let the kid enjoy it for a year before going away to college.   LOL!!!

Quoting pixie124:

My son really wants us to get Netflix so I told him when he goes off to college we will get it.  Actually I have been thinking I need to get it for his senior year so he won't think everything awesome happened after he went off to college.

Mslinda2013
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM

We have Netflix - just the online version not the DVD one. I gave it to my son for his last birthday present! We have it set up on two Blu Ray players so we can watch on our TV's and also on the Wii and the PlayStation. I haven't watched too much but the kids love watching TV shows. I don't think the movie selection is that great. I'm looking forward to Arrested Development this month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)