Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Olivia Wilde Breastfeeds in photoshoot

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 233 Total Views

Granted we are a board that contains all women(I think) but I'm curious to know what other people think about Public Breastfeeding or even this picture....

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Olivia-Wilde-Breastfeeds-Son-Otis-Glamour-1085278.aspx

Lisa

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/118559 the TV Talk board...a place to talk about TV

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Okay, I publically breastfed both of my kids.  Of course I was covered up but I never thought anything of it.  Never thought I needed to hide because I felt like I wasn't flashing anyone.  The only person I ever had talk to me was my sister because her daughter(13 at the time) had a number of questions.  Which to me questions for a young girl is a good thing.

I don't know...I know the signs of a mom getting ready to breastfeed in a resteraunt and I will warn my husband so he doesn't stare trying to figure out what is going on.  Neither of us cares and our children don't care.  All the mom's I have seen are pretty modest and cover up with a blanket.  Yes, sometimes the baby will peek(they all do) but I don't feel anything wrong with it.

So what do you guys think?

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

What's funny is all I could think about was "OMG he's going to pee all over her dress".   LOL

I don't mind it, but I preferred not to do it in public.   I didn't hide either, but I'd find one of those "family bathrooms" or rooms in the big department stores (when out) and would feed in there.   I wouldn't breastfeed in a restaurant, but that was more about ME being comfortable than everyone else around me. 

Quoting pixie124:

Granted we are a board that contains all women(I think) but I'm curious to know what other people think about Public Breastfeeding or even this picture....

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Olivia-Wilde-Breastfeeds-Son-Otis-Glamour-1085278.aspx

AmyClutterbug
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I breastfed both of my babies pretty much anywhere but I can  gaurantee with certainty that no one saw my breast.  With someone who was nursing the way she is in that picture, I'd feel uncomfortable but it's more of an issue of modesty. I think most people are modest enough to feel uncomfortable around a barebreasted woman and I think that leaves the general public with a negative feeling about breast feeding.  I absolutely agree that people should feel free to nurse in public but I also think they should be discreet and sensitive to people around them.

Fire911gal
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM

This is a natural part of life, but people are so uptight sexually that that is all they can see. If more women breastfed in public it would become more acceptable. People need to change their thinking that breasts are just sexual play toys (which I'm all for) and think of them as the ultimate baby bottle.

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I know. Obviously the pictures is an exaggeration. What woman would breast feed a naked baby with her boob completely hanging out.  Talk about a nasty clean up. 

Quoting LisaLoopner:

What's funny is all I could think about was "OMG he's going to pee all over her dress".   LOL

I don't mind it, but I preferred not to do it in public.   I didn't hide either, but I'd find one of those "family bathrooms" or rooms in the big department stores (when out) and would feed in there.   I wouldn't breastfeed in a restaurant, but that was more about ME being comfortable than everyone else around me. 

Quoting pixie124:

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM

You know what is interesting is the people I know and have seen breastfeeding are so descreet most people don't even know.  The only reason my husband notices is because he doesn't talk when we are out he actually just people watches.

I know my FIL was disgusted when I breastfed our first and made it known before I even had our son.  I use to go back in the bedroom away from him.  With our daughter I only hid when I just couldn't stand being around them anymore.  I don't even think he knew half of the time I was doing anything. 

Quoting AmyClutterbug:

I breastfed both of my babies pretty much anywhere but I can  gaurantee with certainty that no one saw my breast.  With someone who was nursing the way she is in that picture, I'd feel uncomfortable but it's more of an issue of modesty. I think most people are modest enough to feel uncomfortable around a barebreasted woman and I think that leaves the general public with a negative feeling about breast feeding.  I absolutely agree that people should feel free to nurse in public but I also think they should be discreet and sensitive to people around them.

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:41 AM

It's how our country is.  My friends from Europe think our issue with nudity is crazy.  They talk quite a bit about going to bath houses as a family and being in a bath house with their kids.  To be honest I don't think they are desenstized to the nudity as much as we think...I just think they hold more of an appreciation for it.  So as long as hubby looks and appreciates but isn't trying to chase the girl down they are fine.

I agree it is a natural part of life.  It is interesting how when you are on a bench with your baby covered by a blanket people can become so fixated on it.  Honestly, look and just let it go and move on.  No one says that when you are walking the mall you have to stare at the same person the whole time.  lol

Quoting Fire911gal:

This is a natural part of life, but people are so uptight sexually that that is all they can see. If more women breastfed in public it would become more acceptable. People need to change their thinking that breasts are just sexual play toys (which I'm all for) and think of them as the ultimate baby bottle.

mcdun
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I breastfed in public all of the time but never in a dress like that! LOL usually it's just a tee-shirt and yoga pants. And it's no where near as glamorous usually it's just popping my 11 month old in a shopping cart and pulling my boob out for her. It looks a little funny (i've been told) and i've had more people come up to me impressed with my mulit tasking capabilities or because they find it to be one of the funniest sights they've ever seen. No one has yet to harass me about it. 

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:45 AM

That does sounds interesting.  Busy moms have to get stuff done somehow, right?

I need to do a pole to see how many moms wore dresses like that when they had infants.  I know I sure as heck didn't!!  I didn't have time for it and my body wouldn't have looked good enough in it.  Now I know my niece did because she only wears dresses but never anything that costs that much.

Quoting mcdun:

I breastfed in public all of the time but never in a dress like that! LOL usually it's just a tee-shirt and yoga pants. And it's no where near as glamorous usually it's just popping my 11 month old in a shopping cart and pulling my boob out for her. It looks a little funny (i've been told) and i've had more people come up to me impressed with my mulit tasking capabilities or because they find it to be one of the funniest sights they've ever seen. No one has yet to harass me about it. 

mcdun
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I have five kids, I can't imagine wearing a dress at all not to mention one like that! But it's easy to do when you have so much money and a nanny! 

Quoting pixie124:

That does sounds interesting.  Busy moms have to get stuff done somehow, right?

I need to do a pole to see how many moms wore dresses like that when they had infants.  I know I sure as heck didn't!!  I didn't have time for it and my body wouldn't have looked good enough in it.  Now I know my niece did because she only wears dresses but never anything that costs that much.

Quoting mcdun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN