Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off to move oldest in to college tomorrow(8/14)

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:57 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 337 Total Views

I probably won't be around much today(getting everything packed and ready to go....ds has been dragging his feet) and I know I won't be around tomorrow.  We are leaving around 8 am for his 11 am check in time.  I hope everything goes smoothly.  Dh is going but I have warned him that he has to be helpful not beaochy(which he is known to be when there are lines and dealing with people).

Send me positive thoughts tomorrow that everything goes smoothly...I'm going to need it.

backpack 

Lisa

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/118559 the TV Talk board...a place to talk about TV

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyClutterbug
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Oh my goodness, thinking of you Lisa!  Megan is going to be a freshman this year and just knowing that this day is only 4 short years away kills me! 

I hope everything goes smoothly and that he settles right in to college life. 

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!!

Your next four years will go fast.  It feels like Devin was just a freshman yesterday.  It's hard to believe he is going to be a freshman in COLLEGE and his sister just started 8th grade yesterday.

I think he is going to settle right in...I have noticed boys have less issues than girls.  Not that girls always have problems I just hear more moms say that their girls were more homesick the first few weeks...boys not so much.  Going to add...I wonder if the girl thing is that when they go off to college they realize they really do need their moms.  They usually fight us for independence but off on their own they need their moms more than they realize.

Quoting AmyClutterbug:

Oh my goodness, thinking of you Lisa!  Megan is going to be a freshman this year and just knowing that this day is only 4 short years away kills me! 

I hope everything goes smoothly and that he settles right in to college life. 

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Okay wow.... I knew this day was coming, but it seems so monumental even to me (who's watching from afar).   Big, gigantic hugs for you!    I hope Dh behaves.   ;)    I hope Devin is ready (on all levels) and move in day goes smoothly.   My brother just took his youngest son to PITT and it just seems so surreal.    You know that my oldest is a Junior this year and I know the next two years are going to fly by (like this summer!).   I'm going to enjoy every second.

I just realized that my youngest and your youngest are both in 8th grade so we can cry together when they graduate highschool and move on to college. 

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes, these next two years are going to fly by.  Senior year is intense, crazy and fast.  I will be there for you!!!

I think I realized that our youngest were the same age last year.  I really need to come over and visit before they are seniors so they can meet before it would be awkward.  lol

And I will be taking pictures tomorrow.  Not many, since I know Devin won't be super excited but be prepared to see something on Facebook either tomorrow night or friday.

Quoting LisaLoopner:

Okay wow.... I knew this day was coming, but it seems so monumental even to me (who's watching from afar).   Big, gigantic hugs for you!    I hope Dh behaves.   ;)    I hope Devin is ready (on all levels) and move in day goes smoothly.   My brother just took his youngest son to PITT and it just seems so surreal.    You know that my oldest is a Junior this year and I know the next two years are going to fly by (like this summer!).   I'm going to enjoy every second.

I just realized that my youngest and your youngest are both in 8th grade so we can cry together when they graduate highschool and move on to college. 

Mslinda2013
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Wow how exciting! Is it far away? I've been through this twice now in fact my youngest goes back for his second year a week from Friday. With my oldest it was just me and him since we had to fly across the country. With my youngest DH came too although he was not all that helpful LOL - the dorm rooms are just so small for too many people

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Did your oldest graduate from college?    If yes, what is he doing now?  I know it was hard for you to have him in PA!   

Quoting Mslinda2013:

Wow how exciting! Is it far away? I've been through this twice now in fact my youngest goes back for his second year a week from Friday. With my oldest it was just me and him since we had to fly across the country. With my youngest DH came too although he was not all that helpful LOL - the dorm rooms are just so small for too many people

Mslinda2013
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes he's now working here in our town as an engineer! So he's living at home to save money and figure out if he wants to eventually go to grad school. He really liked it back east and I think he would like to end up there.

Quoting LisaLoopner:

Did your oldest graduate from college?    If yes, what is he doing now?  I know it was hard for you to have him in PA!   

Quoting Mslinda2013:

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:26 AM

It was only 2.5 hours away.  The day was sooooo long and sooooo tiring.  I wish we would have known we could have been there earlier then our check in time.  I am excited for him.

Okay, I have to ask you since you have experience.  Is there something wrong with me, I'm not boo hooing?  I have a friend that told me it would happen in a week or so but yesterday I gave him a hug and no tears.  Just a have tons of fun, I Love you and we will see you at the end of September.  With all the stories on Facebook about heartbreak and sobbing(both going on for days) I feel like there is something wrong with me.

As for Dh...Yeah, he wasn't much help.  The dorm room is tiny and really he was just in the way.  LOL  I'm just proud that he made it thru the whole process without hurting anyone.

Quoting Mslinda2013:

AmyClutterbug
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you made it throught the day and that he's all settled. 

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with you, I'm just a sap and I cry over everything.  LOL  I think it shows that you are both confident that he will manage just fine on his own.  As my kids get older I see so many parents who still manage their child's entire day so I'm sure if you haven't slowly given them their freedom and independence, it's much herder when they leave the nest.

Quoting pixie124:

It was only 2.5 hours away.  The day was sooooo long and sooooo tiring.  I wish we would have known we could have been there earlier then our check in time.  I am excited for him.

Okay, I have to ask you since you have experience.  Is there something wrong with me, I'm not boo hooing?  I have a friend that told me it would happen in a week or so but yesterday I gave him a hug and no tears.  Just a have tons of fun, I Love you and we will see you at the end of September.  With all the stories on Facebook about heartbreak and sobbing(both going on for days) I feel like there is something wrong with me.

As for Dh...Yeah, he wasn't much help.  The dorm room is tiny and really he was just in the way.  LOL  I'm just proud that he made it thru the whole process without hurting anyone.

Quoting Mslinda2013:

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I am a huge sap...I cry at everything.  Babies born on TV, Weddings, all kinds of things but this...NO.  I didn't cry at high school graduation because I was too busy taking pictures and cheering but I did cry at 8th grade graduation when they showed the video of the kids during their middle school years.  Just want to hear that I'm not emotionally stunted when it comes to my kids.  Oh and it's not like I hide tears...I cry in front of my family all the time.

Quoting AmyClutterbug:

I'm glad you made it throught the day and that he's all settled. 

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with you, I'm just a sap and I cry over everything.  LOL  I think it shows that you are both confident that he will manage just fine on his own.  As my kids get older I see so many parents who still manage their child's entire day so I'm sure if you haven't slowly given them their freedom and independence, it's much herder when they leave the nest.

Quoting pixie124:

Quoting Mslinda2013:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)