• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Agent Carter is the early feminist that Marvel needs

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:09 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 240 Total Views

Marvel beefed up its leading ladies in a big way in 2014. Black Widow, though she still doesn't have her own solo movie, proved to have pivotal roles in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and the upcoming "Avengers: Age of Ultron." Though "Agents of SHIELD" was originally about Phil Coulson rebuilding SHIELD, it turned out to be telling the superhero origin story of Skye Daisy Johnson. Meanwhile, Marvel announced "Captain Marvel" would be its first standalone female Avenger film.

Still, none of the studio's female characters are quite like the first one audiences will (re)meet in 2015: Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell). In "Marvel's Agent Carter," which premieres Tuesday (Jan. 6) on ABC, she becomes a feminist ally who not only defends the rights of the women within the series but also hopefully re-establishes the expectations of her fellow Marvel heroines.

Though Peggy might be known best as Captain America's girlfriend from "Captain America: The First Avenger," "Agent Carter" spins that idea on its head right from the start. Peggy's co-workers expect from her the same thing stereotypical misogynists would: That she just was the lover of Cap, is best used arranging files and bringing coffee, and is useless in missions. Of course, Miss Carter is anything but that, and she is better at her job than any of them.

for more...

Lisa

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/118559 the TV Talk board...a place to talk about TV

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:10 AM

Looks like there are tons of Flashbacks in the first episode...which is a good thing since I remember Agent Carter but not completely from the movie.

Kel13lighthouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:50 PM

DVR is set to record tonight. 

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Jan. 7, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Mine is on the DVR as well.  A good friend of mine put on FB that it is REALLY GOOD and draws you in.

Quoting Kel13lighthouse:

DVR is set to record tonight. 

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on Jan. 7, 2015 at 1:06 PM

I went to change the channel at 9pm and realized it had been on since 8 and I'd already missed an hour so I didn't watch this.   I bet I regret it. 

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I saw it was replaying this weekend.  I also know someone who said their recording didn't work for half of the show so they watched it online

Quoting LisaLoopner:

I went to change the channel at 9pm and realized it had been on since 8 and I'd already missed an hour so I didn't watch this.   I bet I regret it. 

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:16 PM

If I remember (LOL), I'll try to watch it this weekend.

Quoting pixie124:

I think I saw it was replaying this weekend.  I also know someone who said their recording didn't work for half of the show so they watched it online

Quoting LisaLoopner:

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Jan. 8, 2015 at 7:18 AM

We watched the first hour.  Keely LOVED it...she told me to wait to watch the rest because she wants to see the end.  I really enjoyed it but I love all that period stuff and so far it has a story that sucks you in.

Quoting LisaLoopner:

Quoting pixie124:

Quoting LisaLoopner:

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on Jan. 8, 2015 at 8:47 AM

I loved her character in the Captain America movies so I think I'll really like this show!

Quoting pixie124:

We watched the first hour.  Keely LOVED it...she told me to wait to watch the rest because she wants to see the end.  I really enjoyed it but I love all that period stuff and so far it has a story that sucks you in.

Quoting LisaLoopner:

pixie124
by Owner & Admin on Jan. 8, 2015 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

The first 30 mins has quite a few flashbacks to the movie and that last talk with Steve.

I tell ya, Keely was peeved at me because the awards show came on and I said we were watching Agent Carter instead.  After we watched the first hour and it was time to get stuff done to go to bed she was mad that we had to wait to watch the other hour.  She is addicted to this show and was happy we watched it instead of the awards show. 

Quoting LisaLoopner:

I loved her character in the Captain America movies so I think I'll really like this show!

Quoting pixie124:

Quoting LisaLoopner:

LisaLoopner
by Group Owner on Jan. 8, 2015 at 9:22 AM

The awards show was all fluff so you really didn't miss anything.   I watched only because of Outlander and they won their award off camera.   Boo Hiss (but yay on the win!)>

Quoting pixie124:

The first 30 mins has quite a few flashbacks to the movie and that last talk with Steve.

I tell ya, Keely was peeved at me because the awards show came on and I said we were watching Agent Carter instead.  After we watched the first hour and it was time to get stuff done to go to bed she was mad that we had to wait to watch the other hour.  She is addicted to this show and was happy we watched it instead of the awards show. 

Quoting LisaLoopner:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)