Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Star Trek Series Books

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 226 Total Views

Does anyone here read the books from the series -be it the original, TNG, Deep Space Nine, or Voyager? 

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Just_Bethy
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I read the DS9 ones...they are by different authors...and some of them..its as if its an episode in a book...others..you wonder if the authors ever watched an episode cause the characters are all wrong...But they are worth getting... I like them...(And of course..if you are a Niner you need to read "A Stitch In Time "by Andrew Robinson AKA Garak)

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

AuroraAFA
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I just started reading the books.  I needed something easy to help me kick my Twilight habit :)  I finished Homecoming and The Farthest Shore (a two book series) by Christine Golden.  They are Voyager books set after Voyagers return.  She did a great job portraying the characters and their dialogue matched the tempo of the actors so that I could actually hear their voices in my head.  Before those two, I read Gemworld (another two book series), but I forget the author.  It was set sometime after TNG ended and after the Dominion wars but before Nemesis.  That author didn't do nearly as good of a job portraying the characters and most of it was from a character not in the show which made it feel disconnected from the television show.

LindaSapphire
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I found that too they weren't like the characters in the show - Star Trek books and TNG books do though seem to have a way of pulling you into them-you can actually picture things just like you were watching the shows.

Quoting AuroraAFA:

I just started reading the books.  I needed something easy to help me kick my Twilight habit :)  I finished Homecoming and The Farthest Shore (a two book series) by Christine Golden.  They are Voyager books set after Voyagers return.  She did a great job portraying the characters and their dialogue matched the tempo of the actors so that I could actually hear their voices in my head.  Before those two, I read Gemworld (another two book series), but I forget the author.  It was set sometime after TNG ended and after the Dominion wars but before Nemesis.  That author didn't do nearly as good of a job portraying the characters and most of it was from a character not in the show which made it feel disconnected from the television show.

Abesgirl27
by Group Owner on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I enjoyed all of William Shatner's Star Trek novels. I just got through reading Captain's Peril, and listening to Avenger. I would like to read other books by other writers. Anyone know of any other good ones besides the ones I have?

LindaSapphire
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I love William Shatner's novels. Did you read The Ashes of Eden, or The Return?  Also in addition to Captain's Peril -check out Captain's Blood. Also FYI William Shatner wrote a great series called Tek War, TekLords, TekLab, and Tek Vegeance and Tek Secret. Not Star Trek but just as good.

Also Did you read Leonard Nimoy's I am Spock?  That's good. Also George Takei wrote To The Stars - his autobiography that is quite good.

Quoting Abesgirl27:

I enjoyed all of William Shatner's Star Trek novels. I just got through reading Captain's Peril, and listening to Avenger. I would like to read other books by other writers. Anyone know of any other good ones besides the ones I have?

Abesgirl27
by Group Owner on Apr. 18, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Yes ma'am. I have read Ashes Of Eden, but Avenger is my ultimate favorite. I didn't not like the plot behind Captain's Blood, and Captain's Peril. The totality??? C'mon! I have never read, I am Spock, or George Tekai's book either. I'll check them out:-)

LindaSapphire
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Definately check out Leonard Nimoy's book - think you'll like it. And I agree the plot was bit out of there..

Quoting Abesgirl27:

Yes ma'am. I have read Ashes Of Eden, but Avenger is my ultimate favorite. I didn't not like the plot behind Captain's Blood, and Captain's Peril. The totality??? C'mon! I have never read, I am Spock, or George Tekai's book either. I'll check them out:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)