Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

December 2013 Babies December 2013 Babies
That he is afraid I may die doing a home birth. I think he has too much faith in the medical system. Whereas I do not. I have my faith in my God. Sea are only human and many forget that. Humans make mistakes too. Am I wrong here. If I wasn't mobile I would type out the rest he said.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
Pappi
by Jackie on May. 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Homebirths are obviously not for everyone, and if you have risk factors you should definitely birth at a hospital. The risks are minimal when you and the baby are healthy though, and as other mamas stated people die both at home and in hospitals. Midwives are trained for all kinds of emergencies that can happen (including infant resuscitation), and they will take you to a hospital immediately if it looks like something is wrong (instead of actually waiting until it's very urgent.)

Azure
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Ina May's book is great. I also like Marsden Wagner's Born in the USA.

tyrelsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My sister nearly died during her c-section. She was in surgery for hours, got 8 units of blood, and has been warned she probably shouldn't ever get pregnant again.
Had she been at home, she probably would have had a vaginal birth without complications. No wonder she couldn't push out her 9 lb baby lying on her back. I doubt I would have gotten my 9 lber out that way either.

I'm scared of dying in a hospital birth. My last, I had a hemorrhage caused by the fool doctor. The first I had an unnecessary induction and resulting c-section.
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on May. 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Quoting tyrelsmom:

My sister nearly died during her c-section. She was in surgery for hours, got 8 units of blood, and has been warned she probably shouldn't ever get pregnant again.
Had she been at home, she probably would have had a vaginal birth without complications. No wonder she couldn't push out her 9 lb baby lying on her back. I doubt I would have gotten my 9 lber out that way either.

I'm scared of dying in a hospital birth. My last, I had a hemorrhage caused by the fool doctor. The first I had an unnecessary induction and resulting c-section.
That is really scary. I think a lot of stuff can be avoided. I can understand why some may think its best to be in a hospital when you give birth but it can also lead to unnecessary interventions ultimately leading to surgery or worse.
tyrelsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Hemorrhage is actually one of the things most people worry about when considering a homebirth, but the fact is, the risk of hemorrhage is exponentially higher in a hospital, simply because of their backwards, lawyer written, policies.

Quoting Baby4us09:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

That is really scary. I think a lot of stuff can be avoided. I can understand why some may think its best to be in a hospital when you give birth but it can also lead to unnecessary interventions ultimately leading to surgery or worse.

Pappi
by Jackie on May. 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

The problem with most hospitals is that they want your baby/babies out in the easiest, most controlled, and least liable way *for them*, which often mean lots of intervention and unnatural birthing positions (like on your back) instead of waiting for things to progress naturally. This is one of the reasons why I chose a midwife this time around, the whole hospital experience stressed me out. With my circumstances a midwife may or may not have transferred me to a hospital anyway, but the added stress from the doctors and nurses as soon as I got there and the interventions made it an experience I do not want to repeat.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Hemorrhage is actually one of the things most people worry about when considering a homebirth, but the fact is, the risk of hemorrhage is exponentially higher in a hospital, simply because of their backwards, lawyer written, policies.

Quoting Baby4us09:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

lovebugs_mom906
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I will be giving birth in a hospital. A home birth is intriguing to me, but my husband will never go for it. I do want as little intervention though. The hospital is 4 miles away from my house. I plan to stay at home as long as possible, or as long as I feel comfortable, and then go in.
mrs.hartman12
by Christina on May. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

That was one of my concerns but in our country with it being modern and industrialized there is a less than 1% chance of that actually happening. One of the things that helped me was to list my fears and then research what would cause that, how to prevent it and what to do if it happens. You should do that with your dh. 

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Quoting Baby4us09:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

mrs.hartman12
by Christina on May. 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM

here is a blog I found when I was researching unassisted birth. The blogger takes the statistics and breaks them down and analyzes them. The problem is numbers can be manipulated. Say you have a  .04% chance of a life threatening situation at the hospital, but a .1% at home, it can be manipulated that a home birth is over 50% dangerous than a hospital. (not real numbers). If you need any one to talk too I know lots of midwives I can connect you with on facebook. 

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/stats.html

Ranni and Sara are my two favorite midwives ever and they run this page, and you can contact them too. They are firm believers that birth is safest when there is 0 interferance. They are probably too extreme for some people, but very knowledgable. 

http://www.mamatotomidwife.com/

And if your not my friend on facebook you should be!

Also I have another friends who had a homebirth after 3 cesections that I can hook you up with. She loves to talk about it. 

justme00
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Not everyone can birth a 9lber. I had a 9lb 11oz baby on my back. Every women is different there are some who don't have the room for such a big baby. Sorry your sister had a hard time but worse could of happend had she of been at home.

Quoting Baby4us09:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)