Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

confused about ultrasound rules

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:18 AM
  • 13 Replies
I have an ultrasound today and the directions r very vague. I know I have to drink 4 8 oz. glasses of water and finish 1 hr before appt but when do I start drinking and when do I have to stop emptying my bladder?
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenC447
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Hmmmmm I never have to do this with my high risk dr., but with my old dr what I would do is drink it on the way to the appt. just because I would always have to sit in the waiting room for at least 30 min and toward the end of time almost in tears I had to pee so bad.

JenC447
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Look at it this way if your bladder isn't quite full enough they can have to sit out in the waiting room or in the US room for 10-15 min longer vs you dying cause you have too pee so bad lol....

Quoting JenC447:

Hmmmmm I never have to do this with my high risk dr., but with my old dr what I would do is drink it on the way to the appt. just because I would always have to sit in the waiting room for at least 30 min and toward the end of time almost in tears I had to pee so bad.

CLG122
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Start drinking them 90 minutes before appt and get them all in by an hour before the appt.  Honestly, I would drink 3 glasses and call it good.  4 will have you practically wetting your pants-- not fun!  I only drank 24 oz (the minimum) before my 6 week ultrasound and the tech said it was plenty.  If you haven't had quite enough, they will give you a glass of water in the room.  No sense making yourself miserable, you know? 

No peeing once you start drinking your 3 glasses.

Harris06
by Megan on May. 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Basically you just want a full bladder so that they can get a better image. Just drink them however long it takes you to have to pee. You know your body. For me, I knew that I could drink 36oz within the hour and have to pee. They won't really be able to tell how much water you have had so make sure it is a good amount but basically it is just for the full bladder. It pushes everything up. Don't stress over it, all else fails they'll probably do a transvaginal ultrasound. 

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

December 2013 Babies group mod

2004amybbb
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Thank u ladies so much. I think I should be ok considering I constantly have to pee! Lol
Azure
by Representative on May. 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

The one mine uses doesn't even require a full bladder anymore. I thought that was an outdated procedure.

2004amybbb
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I want ur Dr! I remember it being torture w my son and that was 10 yrs ago!
Harris06
by Megan on May. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yeah, I haven't had to do it since my first and that was almost 5 years ago. 

Quoting Azure:

The one mine uses doesn't even require a full bladder anymore. I thought that was an outdated procedure.

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

December 2013 Babies group mod

MommyJill87
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I've always been told just to have a full bladder.
Namaste09
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I was told to stop going to washroom 2 hours before ultrasound an drink 1 litre of water an hour before all at once.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)