Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

December 2013 Babies December 2013 Babies

I'm concerned about.....*edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

The weight limit on infant car seats. The reason why is because I weighed 30lbs when I was 3 months old. My dad put 3 scoops of cereal in my bottle because according to him I was hungry every 45-60 mins. That was the only way to fill me up & keep me from crying again he said.
The highest weight limit *I've* seen is 30lbs.
See why I'm concerned?
I only weighed 8.8 when I was born. My real mother was a 10 pounder at birth. Idk about my dad though.

Since I have been convinced that going the convertible car seat route is the the easiest & cheapest in the long run, I started looking around & came up with these. What do you ladies think? I have listed them cheapest to most expensive.

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/babydepot/Baby/Travel-Gear/Car-Seats/Convertible-Car-Seats/Alpha-Omega-Elite-Car-Seat-Sand-Dune-371373009.aspx

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/babydepot/Baby/Travel-Gear/Car-Seats/Convertible-Car-Seats/Symphony65-E3-All-in-One-Car-Seat-Cicero-370389531.aspx

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/babydepot/Baby/Travel-Gear/Car-Seats/Convertible-Car-Seats/SmartSeat-153-All-in-One-CarSeat-Rosin-358979646.aspx

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Replies (21-25):
Barb87
by Babz on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Thank you for all this info!!! How long is a "normal" newborn? I was pushing 22 inches when I was born, but then again I had nobody to come out petite statured in my family. I apparently come from a family of giants!!! LOL!!!!

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Of the ones you listed, the only one any good is the Evenflo Symphony.

The Alpha Omega Elite won't fit a newborn. I know it says 5 lbs and up. But when a baby is rear facing, they need the straps to come from at or below shoulder level. Average babies hit that height at 6 to 8 months in the AOE. It's just way to high for even big newborns.
The Graco Smart Seat isn't so bad... it's just way too expensive. It's not worth it. The "infant seat" mode is WAAAY too heavy to actually carry anywhere. It's short in other modes. And the booster is short, too.

I'd just forget the 3 in 1's. They're not great.
For a cheaper one I'd look at the Evenflo SureRide, or if you have a little more to spend, Graco Headwise. Or Safety 1st Complete Air. Britax is nice, but a little short shelled. Not bad though. Pretty much great unless you have kids with monster torsos like mine, lol.

EmilyWilsonn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was 18 inches, but she was short and born at 36 weeks. A normal full term baby is usually around 19-21 inches I believe.

Quoting Barb87:

Thank you for all this info!!! How long is a "normal" newborn? I was pushing 22 inches when I was born, but then again I had nobody to come out petite statured in my family. I apparently come from a family of giants!!! LOL!!!!

Quoting tyrelsmom:

The Alpha Omega Elite won't fit a newborn. I know it says 5 lbs and up. But when a baby is rear facing, they need the straps to come from at or below shoulder level. Average babies hit that height at 6 to 8 months in the AOE. It's just way to high for even big newborns.

The Graco Smart Seat isn't so bad... it's just way too expensive. It's not worth it. The "infant seat" mode is WAAAY too heavy to actually carry anywhere. It's short in other modes. And the booster is short, too.

For a cheaper one I'd look at the Evenflo SureRide, or if you have a little more to spend, Graco Headwise. Or Safety 1st Complete Air. Britax is nice, but a little short shelled. Not bad though. Pretty much great unless you have kids with monster torsos like mine, lol.

Barb87
by Babz on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Thanks!!! See? Now I don't feel like I was a newborn mini giant!!!

Quoting EmilyWilsonn:

My daughter was 18 inches, but she was short and born at 36 weeks. A normal full term baby is usually around 19-21 inches I believe. 
tyrelsmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I think an average newborn is about 20 inches. My oldest and youngest were about 21 inches. I have pretty tall babies... but they didn't fit that one (I have the Eddie Bauer version, they're identical other than the covers pretty much. Same company.) I hate it now that I've used others. My oldest outgrew his infant seat at 5 months and barely fit it at that point. I would guess a tall baby growing into those ones around 4 months or so? That's all the Dorel (Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer and Cosco) 3 in 1s and the Safety 1st Complete Air. The only one of those I like at all is the Complete Air. It's actually really nice if you're using an infant seat first. At least from what I've seen. Never owned one.

There are plenty of infant seats now that go to 30, 35 or even 40 lbs. So it's still an option. Personally, living in the great frozen North and having a winter baby an infant seat is a must for me.

Quoting Barb87:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Barb87
by Babz on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I understand. We get *some* snow, but not very much. Hubby is from Jersey so he knows snow & how to drive in it, lol!!! So I'm not worried about that aspect. But we do freeze from time to time & even though hubby knows how to deal with that FAR better than I do, it's the hills here in Knoxville that concern me. I've been practically begging him to move closer to the beach. I prefer flat land & I feel waaay better close to the beach than I do up here in the mountains.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

I think an average newborn is about 20 inches. My oldest and youngest were about 21 inches. I have pretty tall babies... but they didn't fit that one (I have the Eddie Bauer version, they're identical other than the covers pretty much. Same company.) I hate it now that I've used others. My oldest outgrew his infant seat at 5 months and barely fit it at that point. I would guess a tall baby growing into those ones around 4 months or so? That's all the Dorel (Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer and Cosco) 3 in 1s and the Safety 1st Complete Air. The only one of those I like at all is the Complete Air. It's actually really nice if you're using an infant seat first. At least from what I've seen. Never owned one.

There are plenty of infant seats now that go to 30, 35 or even 40 lbs. So it's still an option. Personally, living in the great frozen North and having a winter baby an infant seat is a must for me.

Quoting Barb87:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)