Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making Babies After Death: It's Possible, But Is It Ethical?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 11 Replies

Making Babies After Death: It's Possible, But Is It Ethical?

Date: 11 June 2013 Time: 10:04 AM ET

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

December 2013 Babies group mod

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Oh wow food for thought. That would be tough on anyone considering a child or so grieve stricken that they think silly thoughts. That would be so hard. I am glad I would not want to do that. Raise another child and this time with no dad. I know how hard it is when they are deployed but to do it on purpose for 18 plus years, by myself, no thanks.

mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM
3 moms liked this
If we didn't have kids and this was my only option i would do it. My children are a piece of our love and i would want that.
sugarcrisp
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I believe that if the father has it in his last will and testament to have some of his sperm extracted for procreation purposed after his death, then it can be done. If it doesn't say a word about it, or he does not have a last will and testament, it should not be allowed. This isn't a matter of 'I love you and want your babies'. This is a matter of bodily autonomy, even in death. If a person doesn't have a voice in the matter, it should all be left alone.

MorningValley
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hm...I don't know.  I totally understand why anyone would want to!!  I get that.

but I just have an uneasy feeling about it.  Just seems like another way we are trying to play God.  

CLG122
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I told my husband once that I would have them collect his sperm if he was killed.  For one more chance at another baby :)  But now that I've converted to Catholicism (and he was raised this way), the church does not allow baby-making in any way except the umm...  traditional ;)

Gonzo318
by Rachelle on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I agree with this 100%.  I know DH would want it too.

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

If we didn't have kids and this was my only option i would do it. My children are a piece of our love and i would want that.

Turtledoves
by Representative on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I agree, and I'm sure DH would too.

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Momof2girls1110
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I get the draw behind but yikes you are for sure skimming the ethical line!
sashy37
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM

My friend did this 10 years ago. he hubby was dying and they had only one son... She was never going to remamryy.. and she never did.. She has his sperm and is now thinking about using it. I feel if it's your husband and the Wife never remarried.. why can't she use her hubby's sperm. Just a thought. I am not sure if i wold want to because i can't bring another child in the world without a father being present... it would be really sad for me :(

Azure
by Representative on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM
DH and I talked about it a while ago and I believe we decided that no, it would not be done. We would want our children to know their father, and I wouldn't want to explain to him that they were conceived after his death. That's... kind of creepy. No offense to anyone who would do it. It's just not for me. Of course, if we didn't have any children and really wanted some I might be singing a different tune. I do think the men should definitely have their wishes on the matter written down somewhere.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)