Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Havaing a hard time distinguishing between "this will make my life so much easier" and blatant US commercial culture.

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 12 Replies

I've been wanting to get one of these for the baby, to keep in my room, since we will most likely let him/her sleep in the swing or glider for the first 6 months like we did with our last baby.  Everyone got sooooo much more sleep than with the first 2, when we tried to get them to sleep in a "bed."  Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have the swing downstairs and this upstairs, so I wouldn't have to lug the swing upstairs when I need to put the baby in our room (people over, my other kids awake downstairs and too noisy for ababy to sleep, etc).  I feel like I moved the swing back and forth a lot last time and it stunk.  I have found a few on craigslist, so now I'm waffling back and forth about whether it's a good idea or a waste of $.  I could probably talk the seller down to $40-$45.

I would also LOVE to have one of these to keep downstairs.  From about 6 months to a year we had the Pack N Play permanantly set up in between our living and dining rooms because DS would always get woken up when we went to bed (even though we were quieter than ninjas!) and I could nurse him and put him downstairs for the rest of the night.  I would also love to have a space for the baby to play when he/she is a few months old where he/she won't be run over by siblings.  This one is 20% smaller, so it would be less of a pain to have up all the time in our small place.  Might not be so odd to walk around all the time.  BUT then again, it's only 20% smaller, so...  Idk.  That would be another $40-$45, but I have found 2 that seem to be in really great shape on craigslist.  I'm a neat freak, so if it got wet at all I wouldn't be able to buy it.  A little obsessive about the cleanliness of beds ;)

What would you do??  I'm so indecisive lately!!!  Can we call that a pregnancy symptom???  ;)

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheyAreMyLoves
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM
This seems backwards to me.
We always had the pank n play upstairs for baby to sleep in the first few months and a swing or bouncer downstairs for daytime use and soothing.
I'm not entirely sure baby sleeping all night in a swing is healthy (don't know for sure. I just have never had it recommended for infants).
CLG122
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Yeah, the only way he'd sleep from about 4 weeks on was in a reclined position :/  So we put the Rock n Play sleeper on one floor of the house and the swing on the other and he used whichever was on the level he needed to sleep on.  He definitely preferred the swing, though-- I supposed because it moved and put him back to sleep easier when he woke up.  Our swing has the same recline as the Rock N Play, so I figure if that is fine, the swing probably is too.

Quoting TheyAreMyLoves:

This seems backwards to me.
We always had the pank n play upstairs for baby to sleep in the first few months and a swing or bouncer downstairs for daytime use and soothing.
I'm not entirely sure baby sleeping all night in a swing is healthy (don't know for sure. I just have never had it recommended for infants).

TheyAreMyLoves
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Though I will say.....I would have died without my swing with first 3 kids. It's literally the only way I ever got anything done.
I guess sleeping during the day and sleeping during the night really isn't any different for a newborn. Lol
CLG122
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, I think for this baby it was the certain seat shape he liked.  It kept his knees bent and legs at the same level as his hips.  He was soooo comfy!  He sometimes slept 12 hour night with 1 or 2 wakeups to nurse.  It was flipping amazing.

Quoting TheyAreMyLoves:

Though I will say.....I would have died without my swing with first 3 kids. It's literally the only way I ever got anything done.
I guess sleeping during the day and sleeping during the night really isn't any different for a newborn. Lol

Azure
by Representative on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I've heard that glider kills batteries really quickly, so if you decide to go with it I would definitely make sure you have a stockpile of the batteries. Sorry I'm not more helpful-we co-sleep.

CLG122
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Ooh, really?  That might suck, if I had to replace batteries every night :/  I co-slept with DS1 and only lasted a month with DS2.  He was too terrifying.  I followed all the rules and was soooo careful/paranoid, but one morning I woke up and he was gone.  I panicked and he had scooted down under the sheets and was against my hip!  Kicked him out that night :/

Quoting Azure:

I've heard that glider kills batteries really quickly, so if you decide to go with it I would definitely make sure you have a stockpile of the batteries. Sorry I'm not more helpful-we co-sleep.

MorningValley
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Well for the first one it might be nice...but what about just getting me of those little portable swings for in your room...the ones that fold up really easy, fold flat to store when not in use...is only like 18" tall ones?  

MorningValley
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM

For the second no.  Just get a cheap regular playpen I think.

I had a bassinet with wheels.  It's a family one from my grandma and everyone of her kids, grand kids, and great grand kids have slept in it.  I would roll it out into the living room for zerah to take naps and then roll it back into our room for at night.  But she liked the noise so she wanted to sleep out there lol.  Once she out grew it I wanted to get a playpen to put in their for her naps but could never find one cheep enough for that.

we would put her in her carseats to sleep at night sometimes.

kygoodsell89
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

for those gliders, well for anything mechanical like that first one,  i know its more expensive.. but i ALWAYS get new. they come with warruntees that way, some stores even offer an extended replacement plan. a lot of items ( those in particular) have issues with the motor going out at any random time.. i woul dhate to spend money on something to have it break and then have baby used to it and have to then shell out money for another something.. with the replacement plans, motor goes out, lightening strikes, power surge, anything silly like that.. you get a new one no extra cost. 

Pappi
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I didn't use a pack and play with my first, but I'm just going to say AWW there's a color named Jacqueline and it's pretty! My baby will be bed-sharing so we won't need much, but we do still have our last kiddo's swing. We didn't get much use out of that though last time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)