Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a stockpile?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 26 Replies
In the event of an emergency or catastrophic event do you have a stockpile? DH and I have a small stockpile of food. Once we have our house and more room to store things we will have a much bigger stockpile, and not just food, but things like medications, toilet paper, etc. I believe in being prepared. I'd say some would probably think I overdo it. What about you? Are you prepared for a catastrophic event?
Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorningValley
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in the beginning stages of being a prepper.  I have tons of pins on it and we have about three months of food storage but so far that's it.  As soon as we get some extra money and the storage shed built and pantry cleaned up ill have more and with my rest time adter baby I'm going to start on our bugout bags.  

My heart is a major prepper but I just haven't had the time, space, or money to do it.

hopefully someday we will have at least 5 acres and have goats, chickens, a few cows and pigs a huge garden and orchard...even some wheat.  Rain barrels.  Gonna have some pools of fish.  Windmill, solar, etc.  our goal is to live off grid.

CLG122
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Not for a catastrophic event, no.  We don't really have the money for that :/

We do have a bbay stockpile, though!  I've been filling the chest freezer in the basement to make post-baby time easier.  My goal is to not have to cook for 6 weeks, between our moms' group that always brings food when people have babies (and it's a Catholic moms' group, so there are ALWAYS babies being born!) and the freezer food.

MorningValley
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I find it easier to cook and clean and keep our normal routine the first couple months after the baby is born.  Then all hell brakes loose lol!  So I'm thinking this time to ask that instead of moms from church and mops bringing ready to eat meals to being us freezer meals for when things get hectic.  

Quoting CLG122:

We do have a bbay stockpile, though!  I've been filling the chest freezer in the basement to make post-baby time easier.  My goal is to not have to cook for 6 weeks, between our moms' group that always brings food when people have babies (and it's a Catholic moms' group, so there are ALWAYS babies being born!) and the freezer food.

sugarcrisp
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

We always have lots of canned food and stuff like beans and rice. Always have a lot of water (including in the car) and I typically buy large packages of toilet paper but I do wait until we're getting low to buy more. We do have limited space. That said, depending on what was going on, we could always pack up our stuff and go to my mom's. She only lives a few minutes away.

justme00
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I coupon so yes we have a stockpile. I am getting low on a few things so because I have been so sick I can't handle large shopping trips. I hope to get on it soon. I do have a few months worth of almost everything other the meat.
CLG122
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM

My moms' group is talking about doing frozen, ready-to-bake meals for the December moms, too.  We had ONE December mom last year and it was easier to have everyone make their meal and drop it off at the same mom's house on the same day.  Then the one mom brought all the meals over and filled up the expecting mom's freezer.  BEFORE she had the baby.  She said it went great because she didn't have to be presentable to anser the door, and she actually ended up with more meals brought over than she would have otherwise.  Because it would have been hard for people to cook for an additional family and deliver the meals right before Christmas.  So they are asking if I want to do that instead and that is fine with me!  Either way saves me a TON of work ;)

Quoting MorningValley:

I find it easier to cook and clean and keep our normal routine the first couple months after the baby is born.  Then all hell brakes loose lol!  So I'm thinking this time to ask that instead of moms from church and mops bringing ready to eat meals to being us freezer meals for when things get hectic.  

Quoting CLG122:

tyrelsmom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM
I don't have money for that. And I'm only growing tomatoes and raspberries this year. I had a huge garden last year, but wanted to take this year off. No desire to be out in the garden weeding in the heat while pregnant.. If we need meat we have over 100 chickens in the barn, though. That's our egg supply, too. I do buy in bulk, so we'd probably be fine for a few weeks, at least.
Gonzo318
by Rachelle on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM

We have a good amount of canned goods put aside but we wouldn't last a month if something happened!  We don't have the room in our house right now but its something DH always talks about wanting to have.  With all of the doomsday hype in December, DH always joked that we could live off of our dogs for weeks (poor puppies! I could never really!)

biberonka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I hate to be an ass, but if some natural disaster (volcanoes, meteors, earthquakes, etc.) happens, your stockpile won't save you. 

Xo.LOVES.Xo
by Elizabeth on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

No I don't have a stockpile for anything like that. I kinda wish I did but $$ is so tight, I wouldn't be able to start. I do have emergency kits that could last us a little bit, I did this when we lived in Montana and it was very likely that you go out for a drive and could get stranded in the woods for weeks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)