• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long before

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM
  • 15 Replies

you fill up your tank? Gas is pricey and my DH always lets me get to "E" before he fills up again. Or I get the car back on"E" andI have to fill up. Drives me bonkers. I would always make sure I didn't get to less than half before I fueled up. He can get to "E" and be fine with it. Ihave three children and one more on the way. I don't have time most of the time to fill up the car.

Whats the story in your house?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLG122
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM

For the most part, I never pump my own gas.  DH puts enough in every weekend for the kids and I to do our thing.

Except this week.  Today the gas light came on and I stopped to put $10 in.  We are beyond broke for the next week so I am only putting in what I absolutely have to :/

MorningValley
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

It depends.  Usually we let it get close though.  Money depends a lot on if or when we get to fill up.   I try not to fill up an entire tank full more then twice a month...if I can get away with once a month I do.  

Lol I don't get out much.  People don't understand why I never go to the mall...it's 10mles away!  That's ALOT of gas!

Azure
by Representative on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We never let ours get below half empty. DH says it's better for the car that way.
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Whats funny is that we did this for a living. We fueled aircraft and vehicles for a living and he does this? I don't get him a lot of the time.

Quoting Azure:

We never let ours get below half empty. DH says it's better for the car that way.

EmilyWilsonn
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I usually wait until just before the gas light comes on before I fill up. Gas is about $1.35 a litre here (about $5.40 a gallon) so I don't always top the tank up, sometimes I only put in about $20 which won't even bring it up half way.
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I hear ya, Gas here tho is 3.56 and I put 51.11 in today. Filled er up! :)

Quoting EmilyWilsonn:

I usually wait until just before the gas light comes on before I fill up. Gas is about $1.35 a litre here (about $5.40 a gallon) so I don't always top the tank up, sometimes I only put in about $20 which won't even bring it up half way.

sugarcrisp
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM

1/4 tank to hovering around E. I typically stay in my town and the gas station is smack dab in the middle of my town, which is small.

Pappi
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I can't go all the way down to empty since we drive diesel cars, and we usually fill up before we get to 1/4 tank. Hubby used to fill up the car for me, but now I sometimes fill up since there's a station with B20 between the main library and the freeway on our way home.

biberonka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

It's my car, I fill it up when I want to. I have a 35 minute commute each way every day,  through mountain/forest windy roads, i cannot rely on my car "barely making it". I take it for oil changes, measure and refill liquids on my own, tires, breaks, etc. I would hate to be stranded, because my car was overheating or something. I think these are simple things each one of us should have at least basic knowledge about (unless you don't drive on regular basis)

Namaste09
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I let it get down to bottom quarter then fill up. I fill up every 2-3days.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)