Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dr Appt Today

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

So today was my Dr appt with my high risk doctor.  I'm 19 weeks.

The placenta has moved away from the cervix enough that the Dr is calling it "resolved" so I guess thats a good thing and I won't have to worry about previa.

My cervix is starting to "mature" in his words.  It was 31 cm 3 weeks ago and is now 27 so he is going to start seeing me every 2 weeks to monitor it.  If this continues or speeds up too much, he will increase my progesterone injections to twice a week and possibly consider a cerclage.  My dr is so laid back that I never know if I need to worry or not...what do you ladies think about this?  I look forward to my visits with my normal OB because generally she puts things from my high risk visit into prospective for me, however I won't see her again until the 21st.  Hmm...he didn't restrict me anymore than I already am so I am assuming its just something to watch for now.

There was a new nurse in the office and IN FRONT OF ME asked another nurse for "help" giving me my injection!  WTF?!  I was taken back and at a loss for words, before I knew it, it was over so lets just hope she put it in the right spot lol.  I'm not sore like I usually am (not yet anyway) and I didn't even feel the medicine go in which usually is pretty unpleasant so I wouldn't be suprised if she f'd it up.  Next time, I will be asking for another nurse.

Anyway, baby is doing great!  He's still a he!  Now if only my body will cooperate for the next 20 weeks :)

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5PointedHuman
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I don't think it's anything worth worrying over. He'll watch it, and let you know. I really try to avoid undue stress, so if I were you, I'd just relax until he says that something more needs to be done.

mnkymommy08
by Liz on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I have a cerclage (mine was done at 12 wks. Optimal time to do it is 12-14 wks) and my cervix was measuring only a little longer than yours at my sonogram on 7-12 when we found out gender. At my reg appt the week after my ob wasn't concerned about it and just told me to keep on keeping on with my restrictions. I would just keep doing what you are doing. Maybe try to rest a little bit more? I'm getting my next injection tomorrow (left side this time) and my right side just quit hurting Monday. Hope your next appt goes well. :)
CLG122
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I don't think you have to worry about it.  There's nothing you can do at this point to change your cervix, so just enjoy the NO PREVIA!  Yay :)

mrs.hartman12
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Sounds like your body is fixing itself which is great news. Hopefully things keep going better. Just remember you only need to keep him in for 14 more weeks minimum. Obviously 20 is the goal ;-) Lots of positive to you!
Gonzo318
by Rachelle on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I thought that a cerclage had to be done early on..so i'm not sure its even a possibility for me being that i'm 19 weeks now?  This dr I saw today is so confusing..he mumbles things and doesn't explain.  I ask questions and he beats around the bush lol which is why I usually can't wait to see my OB so she can explain what the heck he was talking about!  Ugh, these shots are horrible, i HOPE that he doesn't increase them to twice a week :(  How far along are you now?  Just trying to compare since it sounds like we have similar issues..

Quoting mnkymommy08:

I have a cerclage (mine was done at 12 wks. Optimal time to do it is 12-14 wks) and my cervix was measuring only a little longer than yours at my sonogram on 7-12 when we found out gender. At my reg appt the week after my ob wasn't concerned about it and just told me to keep on keeping on with my restrictions. I would just keep doing what you are doing. Maybe try to rest a little bit more? I'm getting my next injection tomorrow (left side this time) and my right side just quit hurting Monday. Hope your next appt goes well. :)

NatyRod
by nataly on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank God for no previa! Glad baby is doing great. :)
Gonzo318
by Rachelle on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Thanks!  Yes, I'm SO happy that the previa isn't a concern anymore-that just means i'm one step closer to my VBAC!  :)

On the other hand, end of 2nd tri and 3rd tri are where most of my problems will happen if they are going to so my cervix thinning is just the beginning...I'm just hoping it stays under control.  We know I am at high risk for preterm labor so we are taking the precautions to make sure baby is ready to come out early if he decides to (with DS, i had steroids to strengthen his lungs and although he was premature we avoided the NICU altogether which was great!)

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Sounds like your body is fixing itself which is great news. Hopefully things keep going better. Just remember you only need to keep him in for 14 more weeks minimum. Obviously 20 is the goal ;-) Lots of positive to you!

mnkymommy08
by Liz on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I'm 21 weeks 6 days today. After 16 weeks they do what they call an "emergent cerclage". I am not a fan of the shots either. My last one is scheduled to be on November 8th. A couple of days after my cerclage comes out. Did he say if your cervix is just short or is it starting to funnel (open) as well? That could be why he said something about a cerclage.

Quoting Gonzo318:

I thought that a cerclage had to be done early on..so i'm not sure its even a possibility for me being that i'm 19 weeks now?  This dr I saw today is so confusing..he mumbles things and doesn't explain.  I ask questions and he beats around the bush lol which is why I usually can't wait to see my OB so she can explain what the heck he was talking about!  Ugh, these shots are horrible, i HOPE that he doesn't increase them to twice a week :(  How far along are you now?  Just trying to compare since it sounds like we have similar issues..

Quoting mnkymommy08:

Azure
by Representative on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh. Here's hoping you keep your baby in until your due date or even beyond! Glad to hear the previa is resolved and that the baby is doing well!
sugarcrisp
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you have much to worry about.

As for the nurse needing help with the injection, she may have wanted to be sure she was following that offices protocol. There's a standard, yes, but offices tend to have slight variations to those standards.

My mother is a nurse and is CONTANTLY learning something new, new ways to do things, etc. Don't let that bother you. Instead, be glad that they're staying up to what's new and being sure they're following their facilities protocol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)