Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just got a job offer! I've never been a working mom...

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

My friend is supposed to hire someone for the insurance company she works for.  It's data entry (no idea what that means, but DH says it's way easy) and pays $12 an hour.  Averages 4 hours a day and I can do it from home!!!  I am thinking I can do an hour before the kids get up in the morning, 2 hours while they nap and an hour when they go to bed at night. 

Between DD starting school this fall and now taking this on, I have no idea how I'll do it.  But we REALLY need the money so I can't turn it down!  I just need to get into a routine, I think.  I don't wanna be working and ignoring my kids-- there but not really there, you know?  That wouldn't be fair to them. 

But this could change our whole lifestyle!  We have never NOT been very, very much paycheck-to-paycheck.  Ever.

This would give us breathing room.  We could even go out to dinner sometimes!  I could get new shoes for myself!  We could have SAVINGS for the first time ever!

We could go to Disney in November 2014 like we've been wanting to-- we've been worried it won't happen because we were planning on giong on our tax return but we may need more of that for school tuition than we thought.

I'm excited but worried that it's too much.  I still need to run this place, cook, clean, do laundry...

Who works from home?  Any advice??

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorningValley
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:27 PM

You might want to ask her more info because I've heard that those jobs you have to do 18mn of schooling for if its what I think and you have to work at the actually place for a year before they will let you work from home.

ive looked into it because it seemed too good to be true and even thought I could get the schooling done there is no way I'd be able to work out of home even if for just a year.

Turtledoves
by Representative on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM

That's awesome! I have a small business I run at home, if that counts. It's not reliable money but it's been helping me get needed baby stuff. 

Litlmama87
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Congrats!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MorningValley
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Oh ya, I work from home but I don't get paid lol.  I do all the office work for my husbands construction company since I'm co-owner.   I also have been cleaning my moms house every week and her employers every other week.  I'm binging in $300 a month with that and my dad watches the kids for free while I go do the other house!   

CLG122
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM

That's why this is such a God-send: I only have a couple of college credits under my belt.  There's no way I qualify for this job and no way it should just fall into my lap like this.  If I didn't know the girl personally I wouldn't even have given it a thought.  But her boss said if she thinks I can handle it, she should train me and get it started :)  I guess they are just bombarded with this kind of work and they are getting behind, so they need someone to start doing 4 hours of it a day so they are less swamped.  Hope I can make it work, because it would really help us out!  She's going to call me tomorrow about going over to her house to get started on training.

Quoting MorningValley:

You might want to ask her more info because I've heard that those jobs you have to do 18mn of schooling for if its what I think and you have to work at the actually place for a year before they will let you work from home.

ive looked into it because it seemed too good to be true and even thought I could get the schooling done there is no way I'd be able to work out of home even if for just a year.

Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I have done data entry before. It is really easy and time flys because it is that fast. I think that plan you mentioned is a good one.

If I could find a job like that I would love it. :)

Congratulations on your job! :)

NatyRod
by nataly on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I say go for it. Any little bit of money helps and 4 hrs a day is very doable without neglecting the kids. :)
Azure
by Representative on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Congrats! It sounds like a great opportunity for you.

biberonka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Go for it, as long as you don't mind same stuff every day. I supervise the people who do the actual data entry for my district and they love it, but I hate having to fill in for them every once in a blue moon, it's way too boring for me. 

MorningValley
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Ditto on the wishing I could find something like it!  I have an associates degree but would still have to do the 18mn of schooling.   It would be perfect for me because I have to work at home because of homeschooling but I hate dealing with people but am great at doing computer stuff.

Quoting Baby4us09:

I have done data entry before. It is really easy and time flys because it is that fast. I think that plan you mentioned is a good one.

If I could find a job like that I would love it. :)

Congratulations on your job! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)