Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think is the most important

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: ?

Options:

Math

La/reading/spelling/etc

Science/critical thinking

History

Art/music

PE/sports

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 16

View Results

School subject for kids to learn.

yes I know they are ALL important but if you had to chose which one they learned the most in or was most emphasized which would you want?

Married the Love of My Life 9/7/02

playing soccertoddler boytoddler girlstork
Jency 6/30/05.   Tesher12/31/08   Zerah3/26/12    EDD12/29/13.                                                                    Angel babies edd 10/08,11/11,10/13

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kayla060812
by Kayla on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think history is taken serious anymore

MacMamaof5
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If you don't know where you are from, you can't see where you are going.  That is why I chose HISTORY.  But I guess, you'd have to learn to read first...then again, there is audio learning also. 

NatyRod
by nataly on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM
They are all important In their own way and to choose one would be undermining the true importance of the the rest. I think they are all necessry. Can't pick one. :/
mrsary
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM
mrsary
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this
OP made me think! I don't like to think during my CM time!!! Lol.

Quoting NatyRod:

They are all important In their own way and to choose one would be undermining the true importance of the the rest. I think they are all necessry. Can't pick one. :/

Turtledoves
by Representative on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I choose math and then science (as most of the higher science you first need a lot of math skills for). Based on what is valued most for jobs, I'd say those are the most important to excell in. 

We are going to be homeschooling (as I was), and while I plan to have a very well rounded, classical education for my children, I want to emphasize a lot on the different maths (my mother teaches all of my siblings many different maths - american, chinese, russian, etc) and the higher sciences. If nothing else, it does make college so much easier. 

EmilyWilsonn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM
I think all of them are equally as important and really shape the child so I can't pick one.
MorningValley
by Adria on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I've noticed all the other subjects are IN history so I chose it as well.  I mean really if you do the history of a time period you will learn what kind of art, music, games, literature, sports, clothing etc. plus the scientific and mathematic discoveries of that time period.  But ya you'd have to learn to read first haha. 

i think history is so important and we don't emphasize it nearly enough!   The bible says (and whether you believe e bible or not it has been proven over time in history). That history repeats itself if we don't learn from the mistakes of the past etc.

lol at least no days you can watch and listen to ALOT and to have to read....but it's always better to read it! 

Quoting MacMamaof5:

If you don't know where you are from, you can't see where you are going.  That is why I chose HISTORY.  But I guess, you'd have to learn to read first...then again, there is audio learning also. 

MorningValley
by Adria on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM

We homeschool.  I was homeschooled from 3rd grade to 11th grade.  Loved it!!   

Wow that math stuff sounds cool!  I may have to check into that when they get older.  I didn't realize they did their math differently...haha of course they do so now I feel stupid now llol.  

Im thinking of doing a (I can't remember the name of it) where all the subjects coinside with each other.   I'm going to base it off history and science because that is what I think is the most important.  Let's say we are studying the 1500s we would study life back then, the scientific discoveries, home ec stuff and of course that type of stuff calls for using math and science we will be writing it all down like going back in time and writing our discoveries they will be getting writing and they will be exploring the literature, art, music, clothing etc from that time and all the books they read will be based off that time period.   Then we will move on to another time period etc.

Quoting Turtledoves:

I choose math and then science (as most of the higher science you first need a lot of math skills for). Based on what is valued most for jobs, I'd say those are the most important to excell in. 

We are going to be homeschooling (as I was), and while I plan to have a very well rounded, classical education for my children, I want to emphasize a lot on the different maths (my mother teaches all of my siblings many different maths - american, chinese, russian, etc) and the higher sciences. If nothing else, it does make college so much easier. 

EmmeBee
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I will not say because I plan on doing interest led 'unschooling' because I believe all those things are really important - to someone who wants to learn about them. 

As an example all through school I excelled in writing/reading but would flunk out of math every year.  As a result I spent hours and hours with extra math help, tutoring, summer school, etc.  I never did learn anything above basic alegebra. My math is probably at about a 6th grade level to this day.  Yet I still excell in reading and writing, and regret that I spent all that time doing something I would never be good at, rather than focusing on a passion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN