Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Shower Etiquette?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:17 AM
  • 12 Replies
Personally I didn't care if I had one however; since this is parents first male grandchild (living in the US that they will see constantly) and I didn't have one for DD my mom thinks it's a good idea.

I have 3 friends my age here lol, the rest are family friends (not really mine) and my SO family.

I don't want kids to be there. Especially the ones that I know ALWAYS misbehave.

Might be double standard cause my DD will be there but, she's 7 and thus is her first sibling. Shes also a quiet (very shy) kid. After that the youngest is my sister who is 12.

My mom wants to invite a girl my age she knows but; she has 4 children under the age of 6. Her kids are also bad. I mean rude, run around, spit and hit, knock things over and refuse to apologize bad.

The other is my SO youngest brother. Hes just so...hyper.

It's probably not mean of me to ask that the small children stay home or don't come. I do know that if the boy starts cutting up, I'm going to be pissed.
What do yall think?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Megan on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM

In the end, it is your shower and you should do what you want. Maybe you could have someone there to corral the kids as opposed to just saying "no kids"? I'm just thinking as someone who has 3 children, her husband is gone a lot, and doesn't usually have many people around to help out. I usually decline parties where my children are not invited because I have to. At the same time, I don't think your daughter should count because she is your daughter and it is her brother. haha 

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

December 2013 Babies group mod

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

No, I would DEFINITELY not want other peoples' kids at my shower.  Even at other peoples' showers they bother me. 

The last one I was at was in February.  One of my friends ended up having to bring one of her kids (4 years old) because her mom wouldn't watch all three of them.  Umm, okay...  So this kid was SO ANNOYING to all the women there and really spoiled a lot for us.  I went out of my way to get a really neat gift that I knew the mom-to-be had been searching for and I barely got to see her open it because this KID was literally right in her face shoving more gifts into her hands and not giving her any time to open anything.  She is kind of an aggravating kid anyway, but all these women had multiple kids and hadn't brought them along.  So I'm sure I was not the only one peeved about her being there! 

I would politely state on the invitations something like "this party will be for the ladies only.  Please leave your little ones at home."  I do NOT think it's rude when I get invites that say something like that. It means that sometimes I don't get to go to everything if I can't find a sitter or my husband has to work that day, but it's necessary.  Usually my circle of friends will put something like "of course, nursing babies are welcome!" because most of us have many kids and somebody always has a young infant and you can hardly expect them to leave them at home since they need to feed them!  But those are not the kids who cause trouble, so that's fine.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM

And no, your daughter does not count as an exclusion.  It's "her" baby too, and she should definitely be part of the celebration-- it will make her feel special and like one of the grown-ups :)

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Thank you ladies! Ya, we are just going to say no kiddos please.

Funny thing is my DD heard the convo and she was like why can't I go? Lol she almost burst into tears cause she thought it was her baby too.

Poor momma. She knows that she's going though Yay. I planned on presenting her with a big sis shirt at the shower
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think its rude at all.  Personally I think its pretty much common sense no kids unless it states they are welcome with these types of events.  The focus needs to be no you and adults being able to relax not chasing kids.  JMO though! :)

by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Kids AND husbands are invited to my shower. So I'm no help.
I have a "the more the merrier" motto.
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Husband's can come if they want. I just know these kids and the terror they leave behind lol

Quoting TheyAreMyLoves:

Kids AND husbands are invited to my shower. So I'm no help.

I have a "the more the merrier" motto.

by Representative on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

It's fine to say no kids, but I don't think I'd restrict your SO's brother from coming when the rest of the siblings are. He's the uncle, and it would be unfair for the other uncles and aunts all be allowed to go. Besides that, you have every right to restrict kids from being there.

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I dont blame you. Kids will probably be at mine but Im going to let it be known that they're responsible for their own little terrors not to count on me for any help. Just in a nicer way lol.

by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I'm designing the invites to my shower (I actually have a lot of say because they want me to be happy on 'my' day) and I'm adding a PS Adults only.  My 15yo brother will be upstairs with my 7yo son so though minors WILL be there, they will be upstairs.

Nothing was said about kids on the baby shower invites when I was pregnant with my son because we *thought* it was common sense not to bring kids to a shower. Well- there's a reason why I'm adding a note on the invites this go round. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)