Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Told a little lie.. *warning-LONG*

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 16 Replies

So I had my appointment today with my high risk doctor (I was so close to just cancelling but decided to give him another shot and see what he said today-if you remember my rant last week, I just think he's full of it). 

Anyway, they have a whole new staff of nurses in there to begin with-I'd say 3 out of 4 walk around clueless.. and they have different students coming in each week to work with them as well.  I'm fine with students, they have to start somewhere but they also should never be left alone with a patient.  SOMEONE has to check their work and make sure they are doing things right-afterall, they are STUDENTS!  In this case, it's almost like the blind leading the blind though the more I think about it... So last week the "student" looked at the scale like it was a foreign object and had trouble just getting my weight!  I knew she was wrong but I left it alone, its only weight.  Then she took my bp, which has been very consitant this whole pregnancy.  Again, she was wrong-WAY off!  So I politely asked if I should be concered with the huge spike or if they could check it again.  So the one nurse who knew what she was doing rechecked and low and behold, I was right, the student was just way off.  Frustrating.

So today, there was yet another new student in there who once again, put down the wrong weight, had to have someone else retake my bp only after I told them she was wrong... and then she goes to pick up the syringe for my progesterone shot!  None of the "qualified" nurses were paying any attention!  I told a lie and said that I had my shot this week already at my OB's office (which of course I did not) and she put it down, thank God! 

I would have just asked another nurse if they could do it instead but honestly, the more I've read up on progesterone, the more skeptical I become.  I'm going to talk to my OB about stopping them next week at my appt with her.  There just isn't enough to go on to fully trust them.  According to what I've read, and I've only started to research it in the last week or so which was dumb on my part since I've been getting them for 13-14 weeks now, but there are no long term studies of the effects the progesterone can have.  It seems like a fairly new thing in the medical world.  I'm 29 weeks and everything is looking great so I think I just wantt o stop.  I don't want to put my baby in jeopardy in anyway...I don't know, I'm torn.

Sorry for the long random rant.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Yikes. I'm sorry. It's kind of an awkward situation, because you don't want to embarass the student, but you don't want your care compromised. At my last appointment, I had to get blood drawn. I have fantastic veins and have never had ANYONE miss my vein. Well, she did. And then she dug and DUG around for it. She finally gave up and went to stick my other arm and, somehow, in her frazzled state of mind, she "forgot" to wipe it with the alcohol pad first. She just stuck. I was not a very happy camper. 

Harris06
by Megan on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Oh good gravy, what an appointment you had! haha Yeah, the doctor that i saw today asked me if I had been getting the progesterone shots and I said no. He was like, "Hmm...I know I put that in my recommendations last time. *pause* Did you and Dr. Rodriguez decide not to do them?" To which I said yes so hopefully my doctor doesn't get black balled. LOL 

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

December 2013 Babies group mod

Azure
by Representative on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Students scare me. I've never allowed any in for anything other than to observe appointments. But then, they don't usually ask me to let students observe because I'm so "again the grain" as far as their stuff goes.

NtrlMama
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I went to a specilist at UCONN for my fertility stuff, and because my progesterone was a bit low in the beginning, he put me on progesterone suppositories for a few weeks, but discontinued them around 10 weeks, with no further recommendations.  From my reading, I was under the impression that the boost was only necessary until the placenta took over around 10-12 weeks?  It does seem strange, as I have not read much about progesterone beyond that time.  I expect there are symptoms of low progesterone, but it is also possible to boost your body's ability to make it's own (probably safer and more effective anyhow) with a couple diet modifications and vitamins.  For instance, in addition to the suppositories, I added Vit C to my diet, tried to minimize (and or eliminate) soy (soy promotes estrogen, which inhibits production of progesterone), and used a Wild Yam gel (applied vaginally), all of which are supposed to help.  I still tend to avoid soy (since over 80% is GMO-a personal issue of mine) and I recently started supplimenting with Vit C again, but in order to attempt to prevent premature rupture of membranes, rather than worrying about progesterone. 

Sorry for the LONG response.  Just trying to help.  Wishing you both well!

Harris06
by Megan on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I don't mind students as long as they are supervised. The only problem I ever had with one was with my first or second...I want to say first...anyway, he had trouble taking blood and I wound up with bruises on my arms. :/ No big deal, though. It didn't really hurt me, just looked bad.

I had a student do one of my ultrasounds one time. Poor thing, she was so sweet but she was a bit nervous, I think, because she didn't press down hard enough (I think she was afraid of hurting me :) ) and the tech took over and was like, "you won't hurt her or baby but you have to press down kind of hard." She was a good tech though so she was nice about it and all. That poor girl was nervous though, you could tell. Poor thing. :)

Quoting Azure:

Students scare me. I've never allowed any in for anything other than to observe appointments. But then, they don't usually ask me to let students observe because I'm so "again the grain" as far as their stuff goes.

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

Harris06
by Megan on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I wondered if there were any diet modifications that could help. I figured there were but I didn't know them. I have never heard of Wild Yam Gel..hmm. Very interesting. 

But, yes, progesterone shots are widely used now to ward off premature labor. They usually begin around 16-17 weeks and go until, I forget, 34 weeks? I don't remember exactly. I have never had them and refused them this time. Even after having a preemie last pregnancy. The thing is, too, while I am sure that they can and do help that is not always the case. Even on the shot, if your body is going to go into labor it is going to go into labor. You know?

Quoting NtrlMama:

I went to a specilist at UCONN for my fertility stuff, and because my progesterone was a bit low in the beginning, he put me on progesterone suppositories for a few weeks, but discontinued them around 10 weeks, with no further recommendations.  From my reading, I was under the impression that the boost was only necessary until the placenta took over around 10-12 weeks?  It does seem strange, as I have not read much about progesterone beyond that time.  I expect there are symptoms of low progesterone, but it is also possible to boost your body's ability to make it's own (probably safer and more effective anyhow) with a couple diet modifications and vitamins.  For instance, in addition to the suppositories, I added Vit C to my diet, tried to minimize (and or eliminate) soy (soy promotes estrogen, which inhibits production of progesterone), and used a Wild Yam gel (applied vaginally), all of which are supposed to help.  I still tend to avoid soy (since over 80% is GMO-a personal issue of mine) and I recently started supplimenting with Vit C again, but in order to attempt to prevent premature rupture of membranes, rather than worrying about progesterone. 

CLG122
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes!  You are nice to even put up with them-- I am so mean.  I always say no to students.  Nope!  Last time I had a pap they asked if a student could observe.  Yeah, cuz I want an extra person observing THAT!  Not a chance.  And with 2 of my 3 deliveries I had to repeatedly tell students to get out of my room.  With my first I specifically said no male staff whatsoever.  So I was peeved when I was near transition and I had to tell a MALE STUDENT, after I had JUST SAID no males and no students, to get the &^$% out!  I almost hit him with the IV pole when I was pushing and looked over and saw him looking in the door.  I was like "why are you still here?!"  Lol.  No respect, I tell ya...

CLG122
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure what I would do in a situation where I was recomended  progesterone.  I do have a friend who just had her 3rd baby and she loves the injections.  With her first two kids, she had placental abruptions that resulted in emergency c-sections and preemies.  Brutal :(  But they were really on her with the progesterone this last time (in a few different forms) and she actually went past her due date and had a VBA2C!  She was thrilled to "get to" experience labor and went totally natural.  I told her she was nuts.  Lol!  But anyway, there's a success story!

Gonzo318
by Rachelle on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Right, I've heard of prog suppositories in the first tri but now they are giving injections from 16-36 weeks for those who have a history of pre-term labor.  It's been proven to keep the babies in for at least an extra 2 weeks according to my dr.  So far, I'm doing great in comparison to my last pregnancy, so I can attribute that to the shots and also the fact that I was on my feet all day long with my last job during my first pregnancy whereas now, I have a desk job so its worlds easier on my body.  I just haven't been able to find a ton of information about the injections which makes me nervous...the shots also make me feel horrible.  I wouldn't compromise my baby for my own reaction to the shot, so thats' not why I want to stop, but it seems that no one really knows the long term effects if there are any. 

Quoting NtrlMama:

Gonzo318
by Rachelle on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I never though of diet modifications...my progesterone isn't considered low though.  That's not the reason for me having issues with preterm labor.  The issue is that I have a heart-shaped uterus...I'm not sure what about it causes the early shortening of my cervix or the risk for preterm labor, but regardless, the more I think about it, a hormone injection will never change the shape of my uterus so how is it going to prevent preterm labor?  I dunno, I've been on them for so long now that its like do I just keep going or stop?  I just wish I would have done the smart thing and thought about it say before I started with theM? lol Because I probably would have refused them too.

Quoting Harris06:

I wondered if there were any diet modifications that could help. I figured there were but I didn't know them. I have never heard of Wild Yam Gel..hmm. Very interesting. 

But, yes, progesterone shots are widely used now to ward off premature labor. They usually begin around 16-17 weeks and go until, I forget, 34 weeks? I don't remember exactly. I have never had them and refused them this time. Even after having a preemie last pregnancy. The thing is, too, while I am sure that they can and do help that is not always the case. Even on the shot, if your body is going to go into labor it is going to go into labor. You know?

Quoting NtrlMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)