Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The icing on the ^%$%#$@^ cake...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

And not the kind of cake my fat-kid, pregnant self would like to DESTROY right now. 

My 4 year old broke her glasses.  I am SO MAD!!!!!! I told her to go to her room.  To RUN there because I was so mad I could really freak out.

I have told her a thousand times to STOP PLAYING with them.  Stop touching them.  Stop bending them.  Stop taking them off your face.  And she sat right across from me at dinner tonight and snapped them in half.

I cannot afford to replace them, so I guess she's going to learn a valuable lesson from this.  I'm gonna have to put bandage tape in the middle and she's going to have to look like a dork.  Because I do not even have her tuition paid in full, and last week I got an invoice for $170 for a "technology fee," and I'm having a baby and trying to pay our bills and feed our family on DH's income and SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE!!!!!

Gah.  Need chocolate :/

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheyAreMyLoves
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I have two who wear glasses (well, one now since my oldest daughters eyes corrected themselves) and have been through this many times. It's so frustrating!!!!
My son is a life long glasses wearer and his last pair were a nightmare. Always breaking, screws falling out, lenses falling out.
He would mess with them and lose pieces. He had to do the tape in the middle bridge before.
Scratched lenses. Lord. You name it.
My daughter straight up lost her last pair. Never to be seen again.
Do you have a Walmart with a vision center? We got my son a replacement pair, frames, lenses and all for $36....including tax.
We just had to have his script faxed from our eye doctor to the Walmart vision center.
Azure
by Representative on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I'm sorry. Glasses are pricey. They're not covered under any kind of warranty?
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM
that sucks, but at least she can still wear them

I freaking LOST a pair, then a month later my son broke my other pair, then I dug out my old pair and I freaking LOST those too

I only need them if I drive at night or need to see things that are distant, but I'm so irritated with myself
christina0310
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Maybe you can find a pair of cheap frames at Walmart and put the lens in them or see if your town has any charities that maybe able to help you to pay for some frames maybe the school knows of some place that will help you get some new glasses or frames.

Gonzo318
by Rachelle on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Oh no! So sorry!
mrs.hartman12
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Yes walmart has cheap frames! Sorry its such a rough time, hopefully it turns around soon!
Turtledoves
by Representative on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I wear a lot of Walmart glasses too. They're usually the cheapest I can find, and our eye insurance really sucks. I'm the worst when it comes to glasses, so I can sympathize - usually my lenses get scratched within the first two weeks - and the scratches are always straight in the middle of my vision field. Once my dog even ate  my glasses...and we couldn't afford to replace them so for two years, I walked around with chewed up (lenses and frames) glasses that was missing one of the ear rests since that got devoured!

TattooedMom104
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM

OMG I would've flipped my lid! I cant even imagine a 4yo in glasses. Like my son would just have to go blnd cuz he'd be breaking em left and right. How do you even get  a kid that young to wear glasses?

NatyRod
by nataly on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM
That sucks! :/
P.S: I can't relate to most of ur posts since I don't have any kiddos YET, but it does make it that much more real when I read what I got coming! Oh boy! :)
CLG122
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM

She LOVES having glasses-- thinks she is so cool.  Probably because our whole extended family all has them, lol!  Terrible eyesight...

I should have known better than to get her plastic ones, though.  She saw them and thought they were awesome because they were red, and I told her definitely because they were cute and matched her school uniforms ;)  BUT I think I'm gonna replace them with those super bendable ones that you can basically snap in half and they don't break.  I remember my brother had them in the early 2000s-- I assume they still make them!

She has an eye muscle thing that's essentially "lazy eye" without the cosmetic effects.  One eye saw almost perfectly and the other was really bad.  So her brain was starting to ignore the bad eye and it was getting worse in response.  It started improving a TON with the Rx, so she has to wear these suckers all the time!  We have to go to Walmart this morning for paper products and cleaners, so I will check the vision center for the bendable ones while we are there (with all 3 kids since there's no school today, of course...)

Quoting TattooedMom104:

OMG I would've flipped my lid! I cant even imagine a 4yo in glasses. Like my son would just have to go blnd cuz he'd be breaking em left and right. How do you even get  a kid that young to wear glasses?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)