Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

supernatural "wink" from the afterlife birth story - long!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 0 Replies

I thought I'd share something 'supernatural' that happened the day I went into labor.

Some back story.  My grandmother, who I was close to as a child, died when I was 13.  She had been married for two years to a man the whole family hated.  He was rude to everyone, made my grandma's dog sleep in the garage (a big no-no in our dog loving family), and everyone suspected from the get-go that, since he was penniless himself, was after grandma's money.  They had eloped after knowing each other only a short while.  Then they moved out of state, my grandmother got very sick, and died shortly after.  And yes, all of her assets, despite spoken wishes that she wanted certain things to go to her 3 children and 5 grandchildren, went to her widower.  He was 'generous' enough to allow our family a few family heirlooms (none of which were worth anything), but besides that we got nothing.  I don't want to sound like my family is money-hungry, but my mother and aunt were both single moms and struggling finacially.  No will was found so that was that.

A few weeks ago my uncle (who I am not close to) asked my mom for mine and my sister's address.  I thought it was strange but figured he might want to send a christmas card or something for the baby (although why my sister's address too?  he had never sent christmas cards before).  A few days later I had to sign for a letter in the mail.  The return address was from my uncle.  I ripped open the letter and saw there was a check inside for 1,000 dollars.  NO WAY my uncle had sent that much.  Despite being well-off he doesn't share.  

I quickly began reading the enclosed letter.  It stated that the man my grandmother had married was dead now, and his "last dying wish" was for each of Rosalie's (my g-ma) 5 grandchildren to have something of her estate!  His current wife had gotten in touch with my uncle to arrange the whole thing.  Now, my grandmother was worth a lot more than 1,000 dollars per grandchild.  Her house alone, totally paid off, was probably valued at half a mil.  Her and my late grandfather both worked their whole lives and weren't crazy spenders.  My sister, cousins and I all agreed 1,000 dollars was kind of a slap in the face.  Something just to make this man my grandmother had married and his current wife feel better about themselves for living off her money all these years.

But at the same time, I saw the check in the mail, mentioning my grandmother with a tiny fraction of what was left of her 'estate,' as a little wink from the afterlife.  Like my grandma herself had sent it as a reminder of her presense, that she was still looking after all of us.  This was the 16th.  I ended up going into labor that night (after being almost two weeks past due date!).  All throughout my natural labor and delivery, I kept thinking of my grandmother looking after me and my child (she loved babies and was a nurse on the l&d floor herself), which helped me push me on.  Now, it's been 15+ years since grandma died.  Granted, I don't think of her much anymore.  I truly believe that check in the mail was a wink from her, letting me know she's still here.

Anyway, not too much activity in here lately so I thought I'd share while my baby sleeps.  I haven't been responding too much lately because, although I read most of the threads, I often have the baby in my arms - so I can't type!  But I still think of all of you and hope you're all doing well!  Can't wait till we all have our babies!  December has been an awkward month with some of us with newbies, and some of us still pregnant!   

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)