Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping and New Years...

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

Tomorrow Jaxon will be 4 weeks old. We have decided to go out for New Years Eve because my husbands mom begged us to watch the baby since its her first NYE without her late husband so shes going to be lonely. We have been wanting to go out, so I am excited but terrified of leaving him for a whole night. I havent left him for more than like an hour since he's been born. But heres my predicament...

I don't produce enough breast milk to pump anything extra after feedings so as of right now I only have 3 bags of frozen breast milk for his mom... I'm going to try my hardest to pump one or two more bags but that wont be enough for 12 hours for his mom. I dont want to supplement... I really dont but I'm beginning to think I wont have a choice.

bad

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BooBoozMoM
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Have you tried fenugreek?
From what I remember I took about 6 per day and within about 2 days I was totally full again. I know you don't have 2 days but it could be worth it for future times. Also, maybe if she goes back and forth between breast milk and formula it'll be ok. And nurse right as you drop him off.
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah I'm gonna feed him at her house before we leave, probably while sobbing my eyes out haha and then probably pick him up at like 6 am lol

Quoting BooBoozMoM: Have you tried fenugreek?
From what I remember I took about 6 per day and within about 2 days I was totally full again. I know you don't have 2 days but it could be worth it for future times. Also, maybe if she goes back and forth between breast milk and formula it'll be ok. And nurse right as you drop him off.

MommyJill87
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I'd either leave him later or pick him up very early. Unless you pump more the only option is to be away less or supplement.

Have fun.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM
A breastfed baby needs about 1-1.25 oz of milk every hour, which translates to 2-3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours. If you leave at, say 6, nurse him at 5:45 and he won't need a bottle until 2-3 hours later. And if you nurse immediately when you pick him up, he won't need a bottle for the 2-3 hours before that. So based on my calculations, you'll need about 8-10 oz. do you think you have that much? If not, you'll either have to cut your time away from him or supplement.
MyLiLBlessinz
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM

As much as I didn't want to supplement I have no choice.  He has such a big appitite I can't keep up.  When he is done nursing I dont have anything to pump.

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I have that much but he eats more frequently than every 2-3 hours sometimes...

Quoting LeapBaby123: A breastfed baby needs about 1-1.25 oz of milk every hour, which translates to 2-3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours. If you leave at, say 6, nurse him at 5:45 and he won't need a bottle until 2-3 hours later. And if you nurse immediately when you pick him up, he won't need a bottle for the 2-3 hours before that. So based on my calculations, you'll need about 8-10 oz. do you think you have that much? If not, you'll either have to cut your time away from him or supplement.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Nursing from the breast is a little bit different than when he gets a bottle. You can look up "bottle feeding the breast fed baby" on kellymom.com for some good advice.

Quoting marissabrookee:

Quoting LeapBaby123: A breastfed baby needs about 1-1.25 oz of milk every hour, which translates to 2-3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours. If you leave at, say 6, nurse him at 5:45 and he won't need a bottle until 2-3 hours later. And if you nurse immediately when you pick him up, he won't need a bottle for the 2-3 hours before that. So based on my calculations, you'll need about 8-10 oz. do you think you have that much? If not, you'll either have to cut your time away from him or supplement.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I might just pump more, leave everything you have, an play it by ear. You may need to pick him up early, if you're able to do that. Good luck!

Quoting marissabrookee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)